PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
here's a new one

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2013, 06:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default here's a new one

after noticing my aftermarket air filter was falling apart, i decided to throw the stock airbox in it until i get a new one.

im driving to the bank a few blocks away just now, car feels slow. like reeeealllly slow. no power, like the timing is being pulled.

coming back from the bank i decide to hold it floored in first. still slow, somethings not right. get to like 3000-3500rpm, pop, it backfires, a second later the power is back and instantly i'm doing a burnout. shut the car off, pull over, scratch my head. start the car, rev's way up on its own. shut the car off again, inspect the brake booster line, it's on. pull the stock airbox off the tube and peek inside, can't see much because the bend in the tube, but i can tell it's open about 1/4". rotate the TB by hand a few times, and i hear plastic jingle. look in the tube again, i see this:

i fished it out from just outside the throttle blade using a tape measure.
im thinking WTF is it? part of the intake from the backfire? start the car with no airfilter, attached, drive back to work. car runs great again, has power, no miss, normal idle, it's perfect.

back at work i rip the airbox out and inspect it in the warmth. i found the other half of that piece. it's the stupid divider in the airbox. you can see where it came from in the picture below. if you have the stock airbox in your car, do yourself a favor- break that dumb thing off, before this(or worse) happens to you.

i got reeeeaaaallllllyyyy lucky. i think when the car backfired, i took my foot off the gas, but it stayed floored. i believe that the plastic piece shot it back up the intake when it backfired, and i took my foot off the gas at the exact perfect time to catch the plastic with the throttleblade.. like something in a movie. it looks to have a couple flat marks like a hot valve would make on one side, and a sharper groove on the other side from the throttlebody blade. makes sense too that when the intake valve couldn't close, the explosion in the cylinder fired it out like a gun. -must be my lucky day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (66.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (78.5 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by rob342; 12 Dec 2013 at 07:00 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: here's a new one

Yes you were.....lucky. Now go play the lottery.
WolfmanG likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

will do! -leaving work now!
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wonder what caused it to break off???

Years ago I had a '69 Volvo that had 90,000+ miles on stock (paper) air filter.
I was driving about 75 miles from NJ to LI, and about 1/2 way the car backfired, then ran like crap the rest of the way.
When I got to my destination, I tool off airbox cover, and there was no airfilter!!
I looked closely, then I could see some ash along the perimeter of the rubber gasket....
When it backfired, must've been a spark, then inrush of air was like blowing on spark and the paper filter completely burned away....
All that crud got sucked thru the carbretors (2 strombergs), so no wonder it ran like crap....
I added fuel system cleaner and a new air filter and it got slowly better.....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I probably caused it to break from pushing the air box into the rubber mounts. I guess 10 year old plastic is just that brittle in the cold. That could have been the end of my car. Imagine that. 262000 miles meeting a sudden death because of that little piece of plastic. That would be a slap in the face
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

i got reeeeaaaallllllyyyy lucky. .
If you were really lucky, the piece wouldn't have broken off....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Dec 2013, 08:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: here's a new one

Quote:
i fished it out from just outside the throttle blade using a tape measure..
Wow,be glad it only made it that far......Not sure what effect it might have had,if it had made it further down the intake,into the cubustion chamber,or even got caught in one the exhaust valves!
Quote:
if you have the stock airbox in your car, do yourself a favor- break that dumb thing off, before this(or worse) happens to you.
I think I'm putting this on my 'To-Do' list,it's easy,quick,and will save 'possible' headache in the future,and as close as I can see,the divider is really NOT necessary.(Does it keep the airbox from collapsing,or what?.....I think not!)
Old 12 Dec 2013, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was most likely broken while it was off. Not a likely problem left on the car. If it ain't broke don't worry about it. But a good inspection to see if it is would be good idea.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Dec 2013, 12:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

congrats on your luck.
rob342 likes this.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 06:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Rob; I checked mine and they are both solid. Where is your other divider?