Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rough idle but good with vacuumleak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2013, 09:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default rough idle but good with vacuumleak

05 cruiser with new iac and new purge solenoid. cleaned throttle body to new. has 64,000 miles. new fan replaced 2 weeks ago. idles below 500 but give a vacuum leak and idles up to 900. took to dealer and say it needs new throttle body. banging my head to figure out what the problem is. any suggestions?
Old 13 Dec 2013, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rough idle but good with vacuumleak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd12906 View Post
05 cruiser with new iac and new purge solenoid. cleaned throttle body to new. has 64,000 miles. new fan replaced 2 weeks ago. idles below 500 but give a vacuum leak and idles up to 900. took to dealer and say it needs new throttle body. banging my head to figure out what the problem is. any suggestions?
Not the throttle body Would be idling higher if that. Do you you have a engine light on?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Dec 2013, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you have the throttle Body off the car to clean it? make sure everything is tightened down and everything's connected right. Did it idle low before you changed and cleaned things? Might be a problem with the TPS also but I know of no way of testing it.

Old 13 Dec 2013, 10:31 am
Senior Cruiser

So is the dealer's diagnosis "needs new TB"? How was that determined, from your description or from their inspection and testing?
I'm guessing you have a non-turbo version and not a turbo which has a lot more possible places to leak. Am I guessing right?
When did the problem start and was anything done at that time such as a plug change?
Are the power, performance and fuel mileage fine except for the idle issues?
Are there any trouble codes when you call them up in the dash display or check with a scan tool?
What is the age and condition of the plugs, plug wires and PCV?
How and who determined that there are no vacuum leaks? These are easily missed and can be located anywhere along a hose, intake mani gasket or TB.

A used but service worthy throttlebody can be had for about $50 and is a simple, quick project to R&R. If that's the problem.