PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Warning: Advance Auto PT Cruiser Radiator Not To OEM Specs

Like Tree17Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2013, 03:33 am
Young Cruiser

Default Warning: Advance Auto Parts PT Cruiser Replacement Radiator Not To OEM Specs

I purchased a replacement radiator for our 2002 PT Cruiser last week. It arrived day before yesterday and was prepping it for installation last night when I realized the core was mighty thin relative to the original. A quick measurement revealed it was 3/4 inch. The original is 1 inch.

WTF... checked AA's specs online and it shows 1 inch.

The unit was a perfect fit and correct in every other way. If I hadn't noticed it I would have installed it and likely never known the difference since it ain't tracked or going to Death Valley, but still I paid more for it than the one from Amazon that IS 1 inch or at least they say theirs is. Wanted to get the AA guarantee and quality, and I had a 30% off coupon code which got it down from $129 to $90.

All labeling and nos. on the box were correct. Only label on the unit itself did not reveal anything other than unrelated numbers. A lengthy chat with AA's online tech folks is resulting in an investigation on their part to determine what's up, and I haven't heard back. Regardless I have to have one sooner than they can act so it has been returned and I have another coming, the one from Amazon I'd started to get in the first place at $68 w/ two day delivery.

The out of spec AA unit is as follows:

ToughOne or Ready-Rad Radiator - Part No. 431461 - $129.99 as shown here -

Buy ToughOne or Ready-Rad Radiator 431461 at Advance Auto Parts

FWIW it was the ToughOne 'brand' and wasn't particularly great quality wise and as to be expected is manufactured in China. Not sure if the Ready-Rad would be correct or not, but not betting it would.

Thought some of ya'll might want to know.

Caveat Emptor...
Car #69

Last edited by scoleman69; 14 Dec 2013 at 03:37 am.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Warning: Advance Auto PT Cruiser Radiator Not To OEM Specs

Good heads up. These are all made over seas. But it's up to you to monitor the product. Good catch. In a situation where you have an issue over heating. This would have been less forgiving and made things worse at a faster rate. Hope you have better results with the other one. Keep us posted on you progress. Welcome to the forum.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Good catch. I live here in the Arizona desert and That made have made a difference around here. Had a similar issue when I had to replace the cooling fans. Got a cheaper no-name from Amazon. It looked similar and the mount holes lined up, but the shroud was much larger and the fans about 2.25in dia smaller. Decided not to put that in and got a Dorman fan instead.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:02 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Good heads up. These are all made over seas. But it's up to you to monitor the product. Good catch.
Thanks... I thought so to... especially being an OF with early onset of 'ol Timer's Disease and chronic CRS... ';)

Every once in awhile I get lucky and think to check sheeet out BEFORE I proceed too far, then again not so much.

Quote:
Keep us posted on you progress. Welcome to the forum.:D
I will try.

Also will post how to R'n'R a PT rad in oh 'bout three less steps than given in all the manuals and threads I found, i.e. remove the rad with the fan still attached, etc.
Car #69
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is NOT how you confirm whether an aftermarket radiator is to cooling specification of an OEM application!

Call the supplier have them give you the operating specification or give you the manufactures contact and talk to them. You may find that size of the core does not matter as to the cores components, i.e. fin per inch,fin spacing,fluid capacity and flow rate.

Then if you find that it is not to specification come back and post some solid information beside a ruler measurement and and less comments then empirical information or data about an aftermarket replacement part or product!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:22 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This is NOT how you confirm whether an aftermarket radiator is to cooling specification of an OEM application! :rolleyes:

Call the supplier have them give you the operating specification or give you the manufactures contact and talk to them. You may find that size of the core does not matter as to the cores components, i.e. fin per inch,fin spacing,fluid capacity and flow rate.

Then if you find that it is not to specification come back and post some solid information beside a ruler measurement and and less comments then empirical information or data about an aftermarket replacement part or product! :cool:
Sorry Nitro but I'll jes stick to me ol ruler if ya don't mind, or if ya do... ';)

FWIW you may have missed the fact that I did indeed contact the supplier and had a rather lengthy discourse with them to no timely result, hence my subsequent actions.

I'd also point out that EVERY other source for specs on PT rads shows a ONE INCH core, so that's really all I need... I'll leave the thermodynamics to ya'll academia whiz kids... I left that stuff waaay back in grad school... ';)
Car #69
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I read clearly what you said but appears you did not read what I said? The manufacturing engineer for these radiators is not in China but more then likely here in the US. Or at least the distributor for them is. They will have the proper information or manufacturing updates that may not have been posted to the retainers? They will be able to explain to you better then a phone customer service representative only reading from information we can see on there own website about the technical advertised specifications about a product they supply.
May I suggest that you call them back and ask for the distributors information and then contact them with your findings on the radiator. And PLEASE post what they tell you instead of knocking a product without all the facts first?

Really I understand that you are sincere about what you feel is a helpful post but it gets old reading less then accurate information about an aftermarket product before all the facts are present?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:59 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Really I understand that you are sincere about what you feel is a helpful post but it gets old reading less then accurate information about an aftermarket product before all the facts are present?
I appreciate your penchant for the minutia of this issue, but I really don't have the time nor inclination to go to any more trouble as I've spent waaay too much time with the PT's rad issues than it should have taken.

So I'll just stick with the facts as they stand, and let them speak for theysefs... ';)

Now if you have the time, why don't you take the info I've provided and you call up the proper authorities and report back to us as a community service, that'd be real nice... ';) If there's anything you need to know in addition to the names and numbers I cited I'll try to get them for you to follow up with, however I think I gave every bit of info that was extant with the AA replacement unit.

Besides you obviously have the intellect to know exactly what to ask and how to interpret it rather than take my word for some conversation I might have had with whoever. I'm not being flip about this, I'm serious, it really would make more sense for you to handle this.

As for...
Quote:
The manufacturing engineer for these radiators is not in China but more then likely here in the US. Or at least the distributor for them is. They will have the proper information or manufacturing updates that may not have been posted to the retainers?
I'd suggest that whoever 'engineered' this or most aftermarket replacement rads pretty much cribbed they info and cloned the OEM for their product and whatever info they have isn't really pertinent to this situation.

And as always... OCTJMO... ICBW...
Car #69
Old 14 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NOTE to other members about the thread title:

Re: Warning: Advance Auto PT Cruiser Radiator Not To OEM Specs

This is an inaccurate and unproven statement up to this point in responses.

It may be that if good research is properly conducted be contacting the distributor or engineering department of the product contacted this specific product does not meet OEM requirements which would be contrary to there adverting information.

There is not any OEM PT Cruiser engineering specification readily available to compare accurate specification to after market replacements.

Buy ToughOne or Ready-Rad Radiator 431461 at Advance Auto Parts

Our radiators are designed and tested to meet or exceed OE specifications for form, fit, and function. Using premium quality materials and a clear focus on the highest heat transfer performance possible, our engineers have designed this radiator to perform at the highest standards to ensure optimal cooling.

Core Height: 20 5/8 in
Core Thickness: 1 in
Core Width: 18 1/8 in
Fan Included: No
Inlet Location: Top Left
Inlet Size(s): 1 3/8 in
Outlet Location: Bottom Right
Outlet Size(s): 1 3/8 in
Row Quantity: 1
Transmission Cooler: Yes
Tube Size: 1

__________________________________________________ __________
__________________________________________________ __________

May I suggest that for all reading this thread you provide the following simple measurement with picture?

Clearly mark a piece of wire with a white line at 0, 5/8, 3/4, 1, 1/1/4 inch.

Then carefully take and push the wire between the cores fin and stop when you get to the zero mark on your wire. Then view what mark is showing on the other side of the core.
This will at least confirm that you measured the core correctly.

This information will only show the actual core depth measured properly that will at least confirm the OP measurement postings.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Dec 2013 at 12:04 pm.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

scoleman69....you miss the point, I belong to the community of aftermarket engineers,manufactures and suppliers of various products. As such I really dis-like when someone reports less then accurate or technically sound information without at least pictures and doing a little more research then calling and talking to a CSR?

If you had at least said in generalities about an observation about a part you purchased instead of starting a thread specifically naming a product and supplier as having sold you something wrong?

IMO this thread you started to NOT helpful for members and your information lacks accuracy.

BTW Welcome to the forum!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Closed Thread