Advertisements
Engine Rebuild - Timing Belt Tensioner Question

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ronpolley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Rebuild - Timing Belt Tensioner Question

I'm in the engine assembly stage of a 2.4L engine rebuild. The engine is out of the Cruiser of course, so getting the belt installed was relatively easy. However, the tensioner pulley does not seem to apply the amount of pressure to the belt that I have been exposed to on other engines I have built.

Do I have a weak tensioner spring?
Is the tensioner usually replaced with each belt replacement?
Or, is their suppose to be more slack in the belt on the 2.4L Chrysler engine?

Note: This engine had only gone 65k miles before it was abused by overheating.

Tom
Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Rebuild - Timing Belt Tensioner Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf View Post
I'm in the engine assembly stage of a 2.4L engine rebuild. The engine is out of the Cruiser of course, so getting the belt installed was relatively easy. However, the tensioner pulley does not seem to apply the amount of pressure to the belt that I have been exposed to on other engines I have built.

Do I have a weak tensioner spring?
Is the tensioner usually replaced with each belt replacement?
Or, is their suppose to be more slack in the belt on the 2.4L Chrysler engine?

Note: This engine had only gone 65k miles before it was abused by overheating.

Tom
Tensioners are usually replaced. The bearings is the reason for this. There is not a great deal of pressure on the belt but should be no slack. Just line up the tang to the slot as in the picture and that is were it should line up when you rotate the engine to recheck it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Busted_PT, but my tensioner does not look like the one in your picture. To install, you rotate it counter clockwise with a 6mm hex wrench and hold it in that position with a 3mm pin, install the belt, release the pin and it springs back against the belt. There is no square slot for the socket wrench in the tensioner, as your photo shows,to increase the pressure on the belt.

It's a 2001 if that adds any value to the post.

Is there instructions somewhere on the forum for adding photos to a post?

Last edited by tdf; 14 Dec 2013 at 10:26 am. Reason: photos
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks Busted_PT, but my tensioner does not look like the one in your picture. To install, you rotate it counter clockwise with a 6mm hex wrench and hold it in that position with a 3mm pin, install the belt, release the pin and it springs back against the belt. There is no square slot for the socket wrench in the tensioner, as your photo shows,to increase the pressure on the belt.

Sorry that does make a difference. I can't give you specifics on that one.

As for the photos. You need an on line photo account with someone like Photobucket. Then you can edit and copy and paste your photos. Make sure you take the time to make small libraries so you can find things easily as you go. After a 100 or so pics . It gets time consuming to find what your looking for. If you move a pic to a different library later and have posted that pic somewhere it will disappear. So give them a permanent home while you setting up your account. I use the IMG file to copy and paste on this sight. But on another forum I have to use the Direct file format. to post a pic.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Dec 2013, 12:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Always replace the pump,tensioner and belt together, in your case just due to age of the spring.I also have the old style and replaced it with a new old style.
drumrooster likes this.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 10:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:

Sounds like you have the first design tensioner. I'm about to do our 2001 PT in a week or so, bought the Gates kit with belt+tensioner+idler+water pump. I opted to stick with the first design.

Probably be too long to wait for me to do mine to update you with yours. Interested in seeing your followup info though at it may help me.

FWIW, other cars the tensioner is set and then locked down. Is the first design not locked down in the end? (like a serpentine tensioner that is always active?)
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family