Recurring P0344, Camshaft Position Sensor reading

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 04PTneedshelp
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Recurring P0344, Camshaft Position Sensor reading

About a month ago on my 04 PT Cruiser, base model (with 100,000 miles), check engine light came on/off again, drove fine for about 40 miles and then would start bucking intermittently at about 2000 rpm; let go of the gas and it evened out. Code came back P 0344, Camshaft Position Sensor with intermittent trips. Replaced sensor with factory part, drove for another couple of days (I start/stop all day for work going to appointments, about 30-40 miles per day), and problem resurfaced. Read some other posts, and in the month and a half I have had this problem, car has been running great and has never been "sluggish". Swapped out cam sensor for another factory one, with dealer saying that only about 1% of parts are defective and that they recommended changing out the crank sensor in tandem (original mechanic said it wasn"t necessary, and to save me $$). Car ran fine for another day or two and prob came back, (meaning the light in tandem with the intermittent bucking). Since, have been taking to a couple of guys who work specifically on Jeeps/Chryslers, used to own a Chrysler dealership and have updated equipment. First they did an update on the computer, drove the car for a couple of days, prob came back with the bucking. Next the crank sensor, car back after another day or two before bucking (so just to be clear--cam and crank sensor were replaced a week or so apart and not exactly at the same time). Then waited a week for a used PCM, updated, not driving car much. AFTER THAT I have currently driven about 410 miles: At 158 miles (again, starting/stopping all day and almost a week later), check engine came on but NO bucking. At 216 miles since PCM replacement we replaced the plug itself to the sensor and wrapped it up (live in New England near ocean), thinking this kept tripping the sensor because there had been no bucking. Drove for almost a week and was feeling confident when check engine came on at 318 miles and a few miles up the road, had 1 buck; otherwise drove normally for the rest of the day, with the light actually shutting off for a few start/stops. EACH and EVERY TIME this has come back code P0344, Camshaft Position Sensor, most of the time with good trips. Again, reset light and drove for another day and at 402, check engine light came on, and driving a few miles, bucked twice. Same code, reset light put in reverse and it actually stalled on me. Mechanically, other than the sporadic bucking the car is in great shape and running well. Can live with a check engine light, but not the bucking.Since PCM replacement-onward, problem has been a bit more sporadic/less severe, but problem keeps recurring. Last, but not least, car has stalled out on me a few times (only about 5-6 times, and mostly after the PCM replacement, and again I start/stop car all day long). Battery is brand new, no corrosion on leads.

A) Am I damaging car by driving it? (one mechanic said no, one said its not good to be driving, and if check engine light blinks you are doing damage to engine (although it has never blinked and again, has been driving perfectly fine otherwise))

B) One motorhead I know whose family is mechanics and are Jeep /Chrysler people said to change out the fuel filter and or all 3 relays (but why is it coming back P0344, and why would it be running normally otherwise?). Anyone heard of this? Mechanics don't think this is it, and motorhead is vehement that they are right.

C) Where do I turn to next? Any ideas? I know it literally could be anything (btw, timing belt was replaced at 50,000 miles while doing some tranny work). Mechanics want me to drop it off for a bit to try and really give it a good look. Car is in pretty good shape other than some rear end work needed and an e-brake that can't be used because it will not unlock itself to corrosion. Spent about $750 so far and I really need some solid ideas. PLEASE HELP!!!!
fervc60 likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Recurring P0344, Camshaft Position Sensor reading

With all of those symptoms going on,nobody has even bothered to check the timing belt???........
You need to at least check to make sure the cars timing is correct,because even though the belt was replaced @ 50k,that was 50k ago.......
It sounds like the belt is probably NOT broken,but it sure sounds like it could have thrown/or jumped some teeth,and is the root of all (or most!) of your issues.
You could end up throwing $1,000+ worth of parts at the 'underlying' problems,and the original problem still wouldn't be corrected,unless the timing belt is OK,and set correctly.
The only 100% 'fool-proof' method for checking the timing belt,is by visual inspection,and the timing alignment needs to be 'spot-on'(not even 1 tooth off!):

Everything needs to be lined up EXACTLY as seen in these photos.Photos courtesy of Busted_PT

Last edited by randyincctx; 14 Dec 2013 at 10:46 pm.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 12:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Recurring P0344, Camshaft Position Sensor reading

Think you need to replace the magnet that the cam sensor reads.
I think if it were timing belt, it would not be intermittent.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2013, 12:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Recurring P0344, Camshaft Position Sensor reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I think if it were timing belt, it would not be intermittent.
True 'dat!.....I even thought about the CPS & CKS wiring harnesses as having a potential problem;CREWZIN has mentioned the wiring near the drive axle getting worn,and causing a 'fault' situation before.
Old 09 Jan 2014, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been having pretty much the exact same issue with my 04 PT Cruiser. Have had the cam and crank sensors replaced and still having the issue. I'd be interested to know if you finally got it resolved. I'm at a loss on my end.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 12:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok ppl let me begin by saying hello and this is my first post. i would never think to try and answer or lend a hand on the forums as i am neither a mechanic or a problem solver but when i read this post it hit home as i have experienced the same problem and by accident seemed to solve it. Im sure many of you are going to read this and think im a little loose upstairs because of what im about to say but it has worked for me every time it happens. I dont know what the fuse is for exactly, but under the hood in the fuse panel of my 06 te/pt there is a red 50 amp fuse for the cooling fan and on either side of it are 2 green 40 amp fuses. when the bucking first started i got into the panel and not knowing what i was doing i just started pushing the fuses back down into the panel when i noticed the green 40 anp on the rt side of the 50 was lifted just a little above the others. When i pushed it back into the panel i shut the hood and started to drive on not expecting the car to stop bucking but low and behold it stopped. I have had this happen several times since then and every time it starts bucking i pull over and push the green fuse to the rt of red back down into the panel and the car runs fine, im not saying this is a fix but it may shed some light on the problem that was overlooked by those much smarter than myself. i dont even know what the fuse goes to but it stops the bucking every time i do it. just saying...
Old 17 Jan 2014, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have an '05 touring with about 103k miles on it. I replaced the timing belt at 98k miles and since that repair have also had the intermittent bucking and MIL issues. The light comes on, the car bucks at about 2000 RPM or when shifting (automatic trans) and I have to go easy on it. The next time I run the car it runs fine, no bucking. The next day the light is off when I start the car.

This pattern has run for about 2 months with the light coming on and staying on for about 48 hours of driving then going off. It comes on again about 3 days later.

I will try the fuse fix and see what happens. I'm also going to have the timing checked by the shop that did the repair. They gave me a 3 year warranty on that work. I'll let you know what come of it all.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think I finally have my issue fixed. As I posted earlier, I had the cam shaft position sensor and crankshaft sensor replaced. I went ahead and had the magnet and wire harness replaced and was still having the issue. Decided to finally take it to the dealer and the dealer said that my mechanic spliced the wiring/wiring harness to close to the sensor and he should have checked the wiring further down because it was brittle and frayed and not making a good connection to the computer. Dealer replaced the wiring/wiring harness and is its running better than it has in while.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Recurring P0344, Camshaft Position Sensor reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by fervc60 View Post
I went ahead and had the magnet and wire harness replaced and was still having the issue. Decided to finally take it to the dealer and the dealer said that my mechanic spliced the wiring/wiring harness to close to the sensor and he should have checked the wiring further down because it was brittle and frayed and not making a good connection to the computer. Dealer replaced the wiring/wiring harness and is its running better than it has in while.
That's what I was referring to in post #4...(See below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
True 'dat!.....I even thought about the CPS & CKS wiring harnesses as having a potential problem;CREWZIN has mentioned the wiring near the drive axle getting worn,and causing a 'fault' situation before.