Advertisements
Feedback on changing plugs and wires on 2004 GT

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GOLDNPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2013, 01:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Thumbs up Feedback on changing plugs and wires on 2004 GT

I wanted to share my experience on changing spark plugs and wires on our 2004 GT. I had read several times on this forum how important it is to make sure your spark plug wires and spark plugs are updated if they are original.

Our 2004 GT just went over 50K miles and I was checking the trans fluid level with the engine running last weekend. While I was checking the trans fluid I started hearing a ticking noise from the upper area of the engine. I realized that the ticking noise was coming from the spark plug wires and so I knew it was time to get the original spark plug wires and spark plugs changed out.

I had read on this forum how to change out the spark plugs on this car and I am happy to report that I was able to change out the spark plugs on the GT turbo without pulling the intake manifold. I just used the swivel on two of spark plugs but it was not a concern at all about damaging those plugs because there was not much of a angle on them. So thanks to all who had shared already how to change plugs out on this car and especially to those who have the turbo and had shared how this can be done without pulling loose the intake manifold. Your information saved me a bit of time and gave me the confidence that it could be done correctly on the turbo.

The car runs smoother both at idle now and at all speeds.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Feedback on changing plugs and wires on 2004 GT

I agree.
These forums are awesome.
For my part, I had never even heard of a clay bar, and now I'm a "believer".
I hope you read about gap and silicone grease and anti-seize....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I agree.
These forums are awesome.
For my part, I had never even heard of a clay bar, and now I'm a "believer".
I hope you read about gap and silicone grease and anti-seize....
Don I am tellya BUD if you think you liked the clay bar you would love this!!!!

Home page
Old 15 Mar 2015, 11:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
I wanted to share my experience on changing spark plugs and wires on our 2004 GT. I had read several times on this forum how important it is to make sure your spark plug wires and spark plugs are updated if they are original.

Our 2004 GT just went over 50K miles and I was checking the trans fluid level with the engine running last weekend. While I was checking the trans fluid I started hearing a ticking noise from the upper area of the engine. I realized that the ticking noise was coming from the spark plug wires and so I knew it was time to get the original spark plug wires and spark plugs changed out.

I had read on this forum how to change out the spark plugs on this car and I am happy to report that I was able to change out the spark plugs on the GT turbo without pulling the intake manifold. I just used the swivel on two of spark plugs but it was not a concern at all about damaging those plugs because there was not much of a angle on them. So thanks to all who had shared already how to change plugs out on this car and especially to those who have the turbo and had shared how this can be done without pulling loose the intake manifold. Your information saved me a bit of time and gave me the confidence that it could be done correctly on the turbo.

The car runs smoother both at idle now and at all speeds.
What size and brand swivel socket did you use to complete the job ? Looking to change my plugs and wires very soon...

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 15 Mar 2015, 11:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What spark plugs and wires did you get to replace the original ones?
Old 16 Mar 2015, 12:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TXPTGT View Post
What size and brand swivel socket did you use to complete the job ? Looking to change my plugs and wires very soon...
I used a 3/8 swivel on my socket with the needed extension. I used my deep set spark plug socket that fit that spark plug but do not remember the size off hand.

I purchased the spark plugs and wires through Napa. I gave them the year and which engine I had as far as turbo or not and they gave me the options on plugs and wires. I went with the best wire set they had available for my car and they were only a few dollars more then the next level down.

Make sure you use the anti seize on the plugs and the silicone grease on the plug wires to spark plug connector.

I now have changed both the 2004 GT turbo plugs and wires along with the 2006 non turbo. The 2004 GT is very, very easy with the swivel since you do not need to pull the intake compared to the non turbo model which requires you need to pull the intake for access.