Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 PT GT fuel gauge issues & check engine light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2013, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 PT GT fuel gauge issues & check engine light

Hey guys new member here. Not a n00b to forums so I did look around for other people on here having my issues found a few that were close but not exact so here it goes.....
2003 PT cruiser GT
Driving into town last night and the car was pretty well warmed up. I live in northern michigan so there are quite a few hills. Well my gas tank is at half a tank. Anytime I go up or down a hill the gas gauge instantly gets buried below E and the fuel light comes on. Car keeps running smooth thought. Get onto level roads go a few blocks and the light will shut off and the gauge goes back to its correct spot.
This morning on the way to work of course more hills and the gauge went below E again and the light came on but this time with the fuel light check engine light came on. So when I got to work(oil change shop) I used our obd2 tester and got p0440(emissions malfunction) and p0462(fuel sensor low circuit).
So im guessing the 0440 is caused by the 0462. So has anyone had this type of issue and what was the solution. I already did the gauge test and all the guages ran perfect up like they should and back down. I found in one thread that someone had a corroded ground wire in the wheel well. Im gonna check on that just trying to get other options in the mean time. Thanks guys
Old 16 Dec 2013, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 03 PT GT fuel gauge issues & check engine light

UPDATE: after work I filled up put heet in and the needle went to the top. On the way to get gas though the needle went up to 3/4 from half after all that Stopped at walmart pulled into the parking space and the needle went to E again fuel light came on but not the check engine light. Looked for wires in the wheel well like I mentioned earlier and couldnt find and ground wires maybe I just disnt see em or overlooked em car runs fine just hate having dash lights on. All in all im thinking its an electrical issue.