• 1 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 1 Post By Carl48
  • 1 Post By buelljack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2013, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Battery linked to MFS problem?

Hi all,

Really at a loss as to what to do about my 06 2.2 CRD Cruiser.

The Multifuction switches started to fail a week ago.

A jump start of the car resulted in them working again. The next morning they had failed once more.

Then

After a few days the battery had died, so another jump start and again they were working. I then charged the battery up and the switches worked as normal for 2/3 days.

After work they had failed yesterday, so left the car at work and today I put the battery back on charge, after work the battery was re fitted and the switches worked once again. But on the way home I noticed them being a little off, blinkers not cancelling, lights not turning off straight away etc etc.

I have been searching known faults, and so far have found possible options,

1) Failing Battery
2) Broken Alternator
3) Faulty MFS
4) Faulty Parking brake sensor

All of the above are connected to the MFS problems in one way or another.
But I do not know where to start, I do not have the funds to blindly start buying new parts in the hope that it is resolved.

Has anyone had this weird intermittent fault?

Can anyone point me in the best direction before I lose all hope and just set the damn thing on fire????

Cheers in advance

Buell Jack
Old 17 Dec 2013, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery linked to MFS problem?

For '06 and later, the PT switched to the CANBUS electrical system - the main computer controls way more than earlier PTs, and it doesn't like low voltages.
I would get a decent battery, then see what you have.
Here in the colonies, several places will check your battery and charging system for free - but even if you have to pay, that should be on your "to-do" list.
Carl48 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Dec 2013, 05:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sounds as if the battery and/or charging system is sick...have these tested and replaced/repaired before throwing parts at it. You must have a healthy electrical system or you will experience transient electrical glitches.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 06:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Also here in the US, we have had many reports of the MFS eventually wearing out and causing the battery to drain. The fog lights can remain on even though the switch is turned to "off" or the lights can be off but a circuit can still be closed somewhere in the switch. Either can pull the battery charge down. And the switch can work sometimes and sometimes not.

I agree with the others about having the battery checked. But if it checks out healthy, I would suspect the MFS. In some rare cases there can be a broken strand of wire that sometimes breaks a circuit and then the next time if only slightly moved, completes the circuit.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 04:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys,

Going to give the battery another charge up today, and price up a replacement, I have booked an Auto Electrician to come have a scan and see if we can find the drain, the CANBUS system not liking low voltage could explain why only the MFS stops working whilst the car starts up fine

Wish I had read how many issues these have before I bought, I love the car but now regretting it slightly

Buell Jack
Old 18 Dec 2013, 11:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelljack View Post
Wish I had read how many issues these have before I bought, I love the car but now regretting it slightly
Cruiser owners are a special breed. They love the APPEARENCE of their Cruiser so much that they are willing to overlook her personality issues.
Old 15 Feb 2014, 05:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi all, I have just updated the other thread I was posting in with the following which has hopefully found a conclusion to the issues I was having;

Hi everyone,

Sorry i haven't followed this up for a couple of months, but I have been trying to get to the bottom of things.

In the end I took the car to an Auto electrician locally.

The problem was found to be Water Ingress. Apparently inside the doors are sealed with a piece of sticky tape, one side of which had come loose and allowed water to enter behind the drivers side kick panel. This in turn had corroded the large connector there.

After a week of drying the carpets out, cleaning up the connector and greasing it all up the car is back and working ok (for a long time I hope and not just a few days, but time will tell)

The sticky tape has been replaced by a rubber grommit and sealed properly. So hopefully no more water getting in.

396.32 was the damage in the end, but that included fitting a new crash sensor to rectify the airbag light issue I had, and resolving the handbrake light problem.

Not too bad in my opinion, and the guy was really good with me, kept me informed, and has definatly won business from me in future should I need it on my car or motorcycles for sure!

J
Old 15 Feb 2014, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelljack View Post

Buell Jack
Because British cars don't have quirks??

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Feb 2014, 04:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Because British cars don't have quirks??

Haha,

Oh Yes, British vehicles have their quirks for sure! Its a shame I have had many issues with the PT, because being in a band its perfect, one day its transport, the next its a van! Love the removable rear seats.

I love American cars, I had a Dodge Avenger before this that was prety much faultless.

I was looking around for a replacement car over Xmas and nothing compared to the PT for practicality.

Just hoping I have got to the bottom of the issues

If I have then I can get on with Lowering, Tintingm etc etc

I want the car to be something I am proud to roll up to a Drag Racing event here in the UK.