Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering pump/reservoir o ring question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2013, 12:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power Steering pump/reservoir o ring question

First post here, so big thanks to the many who have gone before and been so helpful and inspiring.

So, quick background: Pop had a PT w/ HO turbo which I enjoyed so much I kept a look out when I needed another car 2 years ago. Found a 2004 series 3 DreamCruiser which a fix up guy bought at a salvage auction with less than 27K miles. Yowza! The previously stolen car didn't need much fixing up from it's joy ride. Love it's torque and get up and go, even in high altitude Colorado.

On to the pressing question: how many o-rings go 1) between the power steering reservoir and the ps pump? (It looks like just 1 to me--but it doesn't seem like it can get very tight); and 2) on the ps pressure line I saw a rather coned and flattened o ring on the recess near the tube end upon initial removal...but does it also take a second, larger and thinner one near the pressure line nut?

I've been learning my wrenching on the fly the last few years, starting with motorcycles, then old Honda civic, now the Dreamer. Thank goodness for youtube instructional vids. I downloaded the shop manual, have searched here a fair bit, but am not clear on the ps o ring matter. Given that my first attempt at replacing the pump a few days ago resulted in ps working for about 1/2 hour, then ATF+4 dripping--it looked like from the pressure line connection--I would like to have better success in my second go at it in the morning. I've already removed the pump/reservoir/pulley assembly again.

Anyone who is clear on the ps o ring situation with this HO turbo PT and can give me guidance will be much appreciated!

I haven't seen a lot of forums, but this seems like a really thorough and neat one. Thanks again.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 12:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering pump/reservoir o ring question

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I can't answer your question and would be doing the same as you ,looking at a Factory service manual. If the question is not answered tonight I will look into it.
DANNY aka Busted_PT I believe has done a Power steering unit on his PT which is a Turbo model. He is well asleep by now though in West Virgina so we won't hear from him until tomorrow?
Randy aka randyincctx is on now but I am not sure if he has done a PS unit yet but he always seem to have answers?
sanatanadharma is on and is great for electrical and at times has answers to other things , but again I have never seen him post about a PS unit?

You just may have to wait until tomorrow.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Dec 2013, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Nitro.

I've taken a good look at the original PS pump, its recesses (1 for pressure hose, one for fluid reservoir), and here's what I've learned.

First, there was a nylon washer of sorts in the bottom of the original PS pump recess. Looking at how it fits in the recess and on the end of the reservoir flange that goes in the pump, I'm puzzled by 2 things. First, why is there a gap between the nylon washer and the shoulder of the reservoir flange? Second, should the medium size of the new supplied O-rings go between that shoulder and the nylon washer?--or does it only take the nylon washer? 1, nylon washer from bottom of ps pump recess.jpg
3, PS reservoir flange protruding through its mounting bracket, nylon washer at end.jpg
4, PS reservoir flange protruding through its mounting bracket, nylon washer at end, O-ring unde.jpg
The reservoir to PS pump connection seems peculiar regardless, as there is not much, if any, compression between the reservoir and pump when the bracket is mounted on the pump.

Next, the medium size new O-ring that came with the pump could fit in the bottom of the threaded portion of the pressure recess in the pump. Does the pressure line have 2 O-rings, one on the tube tip flange, and one at the bottom of the threaded portion of the pressure recess?

Really could use some help here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2, the 3 new O-rings and the nylon washer.jpg (87.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 18 Dec 2013, 06:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Candyman's online parts manual links don't seem to be working--are there others? Thought I'd peruse the manual to see what info I could garner.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 08:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Power Steering pump/reservoir o ring question

Well,I've racked my brain,and wore out a couplr of keys on my laptop.......I can't come up with anything,but it seems logical the way you have it in the photo.......Depending on where you got the pump,maybe giving someone there a call might be productive.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 08:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Thanks Nitro.

I've taken a good look at the original PS pump, its recesses (1 for pressure hose, one for fluid reservoir), and here's what I've learned.

First, there was a nylon washer of sorts in the bottom of the original PS pump recess. Looking at how it fits in the recess and on the end of the reservoir flange that goes in the pump, I'm puzzled by 2 things. First, why is there a gap between the nylon washer and the shoulder of the reservoir flange? Second, should the medium size of the new supplied O-rings go between that shoulder and the nylon washer?--or does it only take the nylon washer? Attachment 9673
Attachment 9674
Attachment 9675
The reservoir to PS pump connection seems peculiar regardless, as there is not much, if any, compression between the reservoir and pump when the bracket is mounted on the pump.

Next, the medium size new O-ring that came with the pump could fit in the bottom of the threaded portion of the pressure recess in the pump. Does the pressure line have 2 O-rings, one on the tube tip flange, and one at the bottom of the threaded portion of the pressure recess?

Really could use some help here.
That o ring looks to small to me. i would like to see it a little fatter.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Dec 2013, 03:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Billy; as long as the inside diameter surface and the outside diameter surface are clean and free of nicks, the o-ring should seal. Also, there should be a light 'press fit' when you assemble them together. Lube with vasoline.

Information on ps parts is hard to find.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 05:17 am
Banned

Thats what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Lube with vasoline.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 06:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Vasoline is a petroleum product. Not sure of the compatibility with that
So just lube with power steering fluid or transmission fluid. That way you are sure you are OK with the seal.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Dec 2013, 03:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Busted ; vaseline is a benign petroleum product. It can be used sparingly with other petroleum products such as motor oils, tranny oils, etc. ---- Never use other greases like wheel bearing greases or chassis greases as they contain harsh additives which may damage the o-rings. I couldn't find any mopar info on this subject, but both BMW and Nissan said it could be used on their tranny filter o-rings.

NEVER USE vaseline or any other petroleum product on any brake or clutch hydraulic system parts. There is a special lube made for this.

Tags
ps pump o rings