PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My Amazon TYC 2298 PT Cruiser Radiator.. Warning: Lots of Opinion & Pics, Little Data

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pt06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2013, 04:36 am
Young Cruiser

Default My Amazon TYC 2298 PT Cruiser Radiator.. Warning: Lots of Opinion & Pics, Little Data

Review of My New Amazon TYC 2298 PT Cruiser Radiator...

Warning: Lots of Opinion & Pics, Jes a Little Dab Ah Data... Dat'l Have Ta Do Ya... ';)

First let me be absolutely clear about the following assessment… It is based almost entirely on my opinion based on my observations, personal knowledge and belief, and the attached pics, with the one point of data, the core thickness, being ALL you're gonna get. Make your own judgements as to the creditability of my conclusions. I do not intend to get into any debate over some esoteric Bravo Sierra crapola… it is what it is and that's that.

Received the new radiator I ordered to replace the out-of-spec Advance Auto rad per my previous thread at Warning: Advance Auto PT Cruiser Radiator Not To OEM Specs.

Here's the particulars:

Per Amazon.com: TYC 2298 Chrysler PT Cruiser 1-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiator: Automotive
'TYC 2298 Chrysler PT Cruiser 1-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiator'

This fits: 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L L4 Gas [ You will have to input the Model Year - 2002, Mfr - Chrysler, etc. info to get the following as it shows up for me at this link cause it is in my Amazon 'Garage' ]

Notes: Manufactured Material: Plastic/Aluminum, Core Size: 18 1/8" x 19 15/16" x 1 1/16", Rows: 1, Top Header: 1 5/16" x 20 3/4"

Purchased from Amazon.com for $68.15 del. in order to receive Amazon Prime service and delivery. Actually arrived a day earlier than they stated and that was with UPS whose recent record for getting they sheeet together ain't been too good. Reckon their Amazon Prime business may ah prompted them. Ordered it Friday the 13th [ Ouch! ] and was dropped off early Mon. evening.

Make your own judgement of the product based on whatever you like to base such on. Me… I find reviews from actual users of a product to be very helpful, especially when given a careful read between the lines, and proper respect paid to their point of view.

Pictures taken Mon. evening and rad installed later that evening… er, early Tues. morning… no runs, no drips, no errors… more or less. Fit was spot on.

See following posts for the pics...

IMO this radiator is definitely equal to or may even exceed the quality of the real OEM. Based on visual and tactile examination it is of robust construction, considerably better than the AA unit. FWIW the core is thicker than the OEM, as stated in specs given above, by a minimal amount albeit insignificant. I mention it solely to illustrate the general quality I find this unit to exhibit. The plastic tanks, their ports, tabs, inner cooler connections, etc. are easily more substantial, and of higher quality, than the AA unit. The side brackets for the AC condenser are of a thicker gauge and better quality material, not that it matters as I don't use them. Even the fasteners were better quality with the std. size head vs the puny ones supplied with the AA unit. ALL THIS IMO. YMMV.

NOTHING in the above attests to the actual cooling capacity of this unit vs any others. Have had to shut my thermodynamics lab down due to gummint cutbacks so unable to provide that info for all you folks who're dying to know… sorry… ';)

Now if I don't have to waste a boat load of time dinking around with a lot of mish mash over what don't make a rat's arse re: any of the above, I intend to post a reasonably detailed and hopefully helpful dissertation on how one might r'n'r a PT rad jes a tad bit easier than any of the several sets of instructions I reviewed prior to accomplishing it as I saw best. With one or more fewer steps and in a generally easier fashion… IMO.

FWIW it will ONLY cover the r'n'r of the rad and some salient points about r'n'r the TS even though it's not exactly the masochistic endeavor usually encountered since the rad and it's upper support are out of the way in this instance. It did allow for taking some pics that better illustrate what one can't see when dinking around with the Filler Neck / TS Housing in it's usual state of inaccessibility. It will not muddy up the task at hand with other projects intertwined with the main goal of r'n'r the rad, avoiding confusion as to what is and what is not necessary to accomplish the subject task. It will be specific for a 2002 PT with manual tranny and AC, but should be useful for other models and configurations.

Hopefully some of ya'll will find this of use…
Car #69
Old 18 Dec 2013, 04:47 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: My Amazon TYC 2298 PT Cruiser Radiator.. Warning: Lots of Opinion & Pics, Little

Car #69
Old 18 Dec 2013, 04:56 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: My Amazon TYC 2298 PT Cruiser Radiator.. Warning: Lots of Opinion & Pics, Little

Car #69

Last edited by scoleman69; 18 Dec 2013 at 08:00 pm.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 05:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Was it delivered by drone?
rob342 likes this.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 05:23 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Was it delivered by drone?
Beats me...

Sweetie hollered down sump'n had hit the deck, and it was the rad... ';)

My ol Pappy used to tell me, 'Son, everybody likes a lil arse... but nobody likes a smart srse'... ';)
Car #69
Old 18 Dec 2013, 04:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

same one i got from rock auto. a few people here have that one. works in the 100° heat, AC cranked while beating on the car. (:

anybody try the $54 radiator

Last edited by rob342; 18 Dec 2013 at 04:29 pm.