Advertisements
Transmission Problems (I think)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By txh976

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2013, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Problems (I think)

I recently bought an '02 Touring Ed. PT Cruiser, I'm an 24 year old female, fist time buyer and don't know much about cars. Recently my car has been having a heck of a time shifting gears when i'm driving. Sometimes it take as long at 10 seconds for my car to shift gears. My car has never stopped going while I was driving (yet) but occasionally when I come to a full stop my car won't go into dive and I have to restart my car once or twice to kick into drive. I have also noticed that when I driving over 25mph my car has no problems shifting into gears. I have 2 mechanics look at it and both have check the transmission fluid and said its the correct color and doesn't smell so they don't think its going bad, but they couldn't tell me exactly bc neither work on transmissions that much. Has any one else experienced this problem? I'm just worried that the fix will be more than my cars worth
Old 18 Dec 2013, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Problems (I think)

You should check for a Transmission specialty shop and have them do a complete diagnostic check of both the TCM (which control shifting operation ) and line pressure check the transmission. Looking at the fluid and checking the level is very basic and not a technical way to check for issues with the type of transmission you have in your PT.
The sooner you get it checked the better. Continued use could cause other problems or increase the current condition that may end up being more costly to repair.

TCM=Transmission Control Module

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Dec 2013, 11:17 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh976 View Post
I recently bought an '02 Touring Ed. PT Cruiser, I'm an 24 year old female, fist time buyer and don't know much about cars. Recently my car has been having a heck of a time shifting gears when i'm driving. Sometimes it take as long at 10 seconds for my car to shift gears. My car has never stopped going while I was driving (yet) but occasionally when I come to a full stop my car won't go into dive and I have to restart my car once or twice to kick into drive. I have also noticed that when I driving over 25mph my car has no problems shifting into gears. I have 2 mechanics look at it and both have check the transmission fluid and said its the correct color and doesn't smell so they don't think its going bad, but they couldn't tell me exactly bc neither work on transmissions that much. Has any one else experienced this problem? I'm just worried that the fix will be more than my cars worth
I see, so you've taken it a couple "mechanics" but not to someone that really works on transmissions, like a transmission shop?

Jerry
Old 18 Dec 2013, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I see, so you've taken it a couple "mechanics" but not to someone that really works on transmissions, like a transmission shop?

Jerry
Jerry I am thinking it is probably the solenoid pack, mileage age and most likely lack of good routine maintenance?

It is not that expensive to have a transmission shop diagnosis it and change it out if that is the culprit causing the problem.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Dec 2013, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for answering! I am taking to a shop tonight after work, I just hope they don't bamboozle me with charges. Is this a common issue with PT Cruisers? I love my cruiser, I hope its no more than $1000 to fix it.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Jerry I am thinking it is probably the solenoid pack, mileage age and most likely lack of good routine maintenance?

It is not that expensive to have a transmission shop diagnosis it and change it out if that is the culprit causing the problem.
Ya I don't think the previous owner took good care of the car. One place mentioned that all it might need is a flush & new filter, but who knows
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh976 View Post
Ya I don't think the previous owner took good care of the car. One place mentioned that all it might need is a flush & new filter, but who knows

If there is a varnish build up around the solenoids then sometimes a transmission service with a positive flush and filter change my clean things up. This is about $100-150 at most Transmission shops. A better shop will diagnosis the issue before making a decision to do any procedural.
If it is the TCM or solenoid pack that needs to be replaced they are still within releasable charges.
With a fast internet look up:
TCM rebuilt range 100-190
Solenoid pack new 60-125

There is also a fluid test that can be done to see what materiel may be in the fluid which can also help determine what the issue is. But it does take longer for that to be done as it has to be sent out for analysis.

Good luck with the shop

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Dec 2013, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It turned out that the transmission is blown. I'm going to find insured used one tomorrow hopefully $400 and under) and ive found a mechanic (a family friend) to put it in for $30 a hr. To avoid any future mishaps, what are some common maintenance to keep my cruiser on the road?

Tags
transmission pt cruiser