Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"HELP" Need advice--overheating??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2013, 07:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default "HELP" Need advice--overheating??

Hi all, I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and after driving for 25mins the engine temp reached red and I pulled over, obviously a coolant circulation problem (water pump? Thermostat? Radiator? hoses?).

When I pulled over and turned the car off you could hear water bubbling away in the overflow tank.

I let the car cool down and checked the coolant level from radiator cap---no coolant!!!.
I then re filled the coolant with water (emergency situation-too far from auto shop).
Started the car and drove it home--25mins, the temp didn't go over half until about 1min from home.
Let the car cool down and purchased a new thermostat and coolant, fitted thermostat and coolant, bleed the air out and went for a 30min drive, temp never reached half until 25mins-overheated!!!
The Fan is operating correctly and radiator has no leaks.

Got the car home and lots of more bubbling hot water, opened the bleeder valve and nothing but steam.

On visual inspection, no leaks/no split hoses and thermostat is opening and closing.

Has anyone had this overheating problem---any advise please

is it my water pump!!!

Last edited by ptsam; 20 Dec 2013 at 07:09 am.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 07:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "HELP" Need advice--overheating??

How many miles? At around 100,000 miles, water pump needs to be changed along with timing belt.
You can pretty well eliminate thermostat since you replaced it.
I'd be concerned with head gasket - what does oil look like? ( Take off oil cap and look in, look at dipstick).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Dec 2013, 07:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Car has done 179000Km, Timing Belt/water pump/tentioner all replaced aprox 6000km ago, oil changed 1000km ago, oil looks good.
Will not take car back to Chrysler dealership in Brisbane as after I had all this work done I noticed that they had broken the air-con compressor electrical connection and didn't do anything about it, I had a massive argument with them. Id say it broke when they lowered the engine to do the belt/pump.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 08:20 am
Banned

Welcome to the forum

How long have you had your pt?

Have you joined any local clubs?

Have you made any modifications to your pt?

What influenced you to buy your pt?

Feel free to post some pictures

Welcome to the forum
Old 22 Dec 2013, 07:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had almost the same exact problem right after I got mine, ended up being the radiator cap, 5 dollar fix.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsam View Post
Car has done 179000Km, Timing Belt/water pump/tentioner all replaced aprox 6000km ago, oil changed 1000km ago, oil looks good.
Will not take car back to Chrysler dealership in Brisbane as after I had all this work done I noticed that they had broken the air-con compressor electrical connection and didn't do anything about it, I had a massive argument with them. Id say it broke when they lowered the engine to do the belt/pump.
You are from Oz?
You need to join here as well:
Recent Discussions - The Australian PT Cruiser Community

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles