Advertisements
Failed Smog Test - Need Help "Re-cycling" Computer

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2013, 01:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Exclamation Failed Smog Test - Need Help "Re-cycling" Computer

I just failed my CA smog test.

I had replaced my crankshaft position sensor just before driving it over to the smog test center (about three miles away).

The technician said that while the emissions were fine, the fact that I had disconected my battery just before my smog check meant that the computer didn't have time to "re-cycle" and that is why it failed.

He said that after disconnecting the battery, you have to drive it "for a while" to allow the computer to go through a complete cycle. It would have been nice if he had asked if I had recently disconnected the battery BEFORE taking my $30 :mad

~~~~

so my questions are:

1) Is what he said true about needing the computer to "cycle" through before it will pass, and

2) If that is true, what is the fastest / best way to get it to cycle through?

When he said I should drive it "for a while" before testing, what exactly does he mean???

(I got to do this quickly because it is holding up my registration and my registration tags are only marked through December. Don't want to be driving in January with December 2013 tags.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Failed Smog Test - Need Help "Re-cycling" Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
I just failed my CA smog test.

I had replaced my crankshaft position sensor just before driving it over to the smog test center (about three miles away).

The technician said that while the emissions were fine, the fact that I had disconnected my battery just before my smog check meant that the computer didn't have time to "re-cycle" and that is why it failed.

He said that after disconnecting the battery, you have to drive it "for a while" to allow the computer to go through a complete cycle. It would have been nice if he had asked if I had recently disconnected the battery BEFORE taking my $30 :mad

~~~~

so my questions are:

1) Is what he said true about needing the computer to "cycle" through before it will pass, and

2) If that is true, what is the fastest / best way to get it to cycle through?

When he said I should drive it "for a while" before testing, what exactly does he mean???

(I got to do this quickly because it is holding up my registration and my registration tags are only marked through December. Don't want to be driving in January with December 2013 tags.)

Thanks in advance.
1. YES. What he should have told you is that you failed the PCM Readiness test.
2. Drive the PT about 50 + miles on the highway.

FYI it is not the Emissions Test facility's responsibility or even is it common to ask if a customer disconnected thier battery before a test. I have Emission tested in CA about 100 or more vehicles and never once asked that to a customer.

Also if you pay the CA DMV fee's for registration it will show that they are paid pending the smog test and you could get a red tag to hang in your window for a month so you do not have to worry about having expired registration tags. You must go into a field office to do this not on line. Make an appointment and you WILL get serviced 5 minutes before or after your appointment time this is a guaranteed.

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Dec 2013 at 02:10 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 02:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Most Chrysler vehicles show you if the vehicle is in OBDII readiness state. I've never actually checked the PT though to see that it is implemented, but it likely is.

Turn the key to the RUN position (do not start the vehicle). The cluster will light most lamps as a bulb check. In approximately 15 seconds after initiating this test, the check engine light will flash for about 10 seconds if the vehicle IS NOT in the OBDII readiness state. If the light never flashes, the vehicle is ready.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 02:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi ya, NitroPT:

Many thanks for the quick response!!!
Quote:

"2. Drive the PT about 50 + miles on the highway."
Thanks for the confirmation about this!

I will spend this evening driving her on the free way.

Quote:
"FYI it is not the Emissions Test facility's responsibility or even is it common to ask if a customer disconnected thier battery before a test. I have Emission tested in CA about 100 or more vehicles and never once asked that to a customer."
I understand that it is NOT their responsibility nor is it common to do this.

However, it would be GREAT customer service for a smog check station to ask that (or to ask whether the check engine light is on, which as far as I understand will automatically make you fail the smog check - and make your wallet 30 dollars lighter).

So while I agree with you that mentioning the battery disconnect or the check engine light is neither their responsibility nor common, I do think it is something that a business who really cares about customer service would do. And the other place that I USED to take it to at least brought up the auto-fail in regards to the CEL before testing, but they charged $10 more. Shows you what I get for being cheap

And they didn't have any coffee in the waiting room either.

Oh well, at least the free magazines were from THIS year...

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 20 Dec 2013 at 02:36 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You did not mention you had a engine check light. If that were the case the shop should not have charged you and you can get your money back or at least a free re-test?

The PCM will place things in a RAM or a pending file which will not cause a DTC initially but may cause a code if the anomaly is not corrected after several full engine cycles.But if you are getting an Emission test in Ca you will fail the readiness portion because you are either only allowed 1 or 2 anomalies or readiness values depending on the current CA Emission standard guidelines for each specific vehicle.

How many people really dis-connect their battery prior this kind of testing?You are the first one I have ever read about. As I said it is very unusual this is why it is not a common thing to ask if someone recently disconnected their battery.

IMO the technician should have been a little better customer service oriented with explaining in a little more detail to at least earn if not by physical action of labor then exercising his mouth helping you a little better to understand why you failed. However they are not required to do so under any law for operating a Emission testing station in CA. Many shops will offer for a fee a diagnostic test which all they do is scan your diagnostic port and record any codes and clear the system out. You would in your case still need to cycle the engine at least once to make sure you do not get a DTC popping up in the during your emissions test.

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Dec 2013 at 02:48 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 02:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestion, 392SRT8!

Code:
Turn the key to the RUN position (do not start the vehicle). The cluster will light most lamps as a bulb check. In approximately 15 seconds after initiating this test, the check engine light will flash for about 10 seconds if the vehicle IS NOT in the OBDII readiness state. If the light never flashes, the vehicle is ready.

I will try this before driving her tonight, and AFTER driving as well.

Quote:
I've never actually checked the PT though to see that it is implemented, but it likely is.
is there anyone who might have cnfirmed this either way with their PT Crusier? If so, would love to hear from you.

Thanks again.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

to much info

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Dec 2013 at 03:34 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 03:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi again, NitroPT:

Just to clear things up (which may not have been clear in my earlier post), I actually DIDN'T have the check engine light on when I took it to be tested.

The CEL was coming on earlier this week. It was giving me the codes for a bad Camshaft Positioning Sensor.

So I changed the CPS this morning and took it first thing for the smog check. Since the battery had been disconnected for a long time when I took it there, the CEL was off.

I am having a little bit of a problem understanding this part of your post though, and I hope that you can kindly elaborate a little further:

Quote:
The PCM will place things in a RAM or a pending file which will not cause a DTC initially but may cause a code if the anomaly is not corrected after several full engine cycles.
I am not exactly sure how the above will affect me.

will it affect me because over the last ten days my check engine light would come on (with the camshaft codes) and go off over several days of driving? Does that fall under your point when you said "may cause a code if the anomaly is not corrected after several full engine cycles." ???

I ask because the light would come on and it would go into limp mode. I would pull over. turn off the engine, read the codes via on-off-on-off-on, drive some more, eventually the CEL would go off, and then the next day the same thing would be repeaded.

so I guess I am asking if this goes into some form of "permanent record."

And just to clarify where we stand now; I have changed the CPS and the CEL is OFF, but I just drove it the three miles from home to the smog check this morning, and 1 mile from smog check to work.

Also maybe you can help me understand this a little better?

Quote:
"But if you are getting an Emission test in Ca you will fail the readiness portion because you are either only allowed 1 or 2 anomalies or readiness values depending on the current CA Emission standard guidelines for each specific vehicle. "
Does that mean if you take a test and fail, then take another test and fail, the state of California will require something EXTRA be done? (sorry that I am not understanding the implications of this.)

Forunately, the smog check place apparently has a computer set up that they can use to check WITHOUT having to use the computer that is connected to the DMV, just to ensure it is ready to pass before doing the "official" smog check.

Again, thanks for all the help and thanks in advance for any further explanation.

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 20 Dec 2013 at 03:08 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 03:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

I am sorry, but what does a "DTC" stand for???

~~~
Quote:
"This will also be cause to fail the readiness test in CA as well unless it was cleared in the pending area of the PCM file."
Is there a way to clear this PCM file without having to go through several engine cycles?

~~~

Please don't take any offence anyone about my incomprehension / noobishness over all this. I am really under a lot of stress right now. I hope you all understand.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

DTC= “diagnostic trouble code"

The key dance for viewing engine codes does not always work or is complete. The proper way to check your PCM for codes is with a scan tool.
I recommend finding a shop that will be good enough to check for codes and maybe allow you to hit the clear code button.
Some places offer free a OBDII scan but will not clear codes.

From what I am reading you have repaired your issue and simply need to make sure all the codes pending or other wise are record and cleared before you get re-checked for your emissions certification.

I am not sure about the regulation for each specific county in CA regarding how many fails you are allowed before you must got to a CA SMOG Emissions Test Center. These are different form a normal service shop. They only do CA emission testing and certifications. They are very thorough and you can not even have electrical tape on designated emission hoses under your hood. LOL

It may be that I have made this from a simple issue to much more then what you really have going on? LOL

Here what I recommend you do.

1) Go to DMV pay your fee's get a registration extension paper to hang in your window
2) Drive you PT for a day or 2
3) call around where you live and see who will do a PCM scan for free. Have them scan and write down any of the codes found have them clear all the codes.

4) If you have any DTC look them up or come back and we will talk about what was found.

5) *If no codes and the PT is running well go get your emission test re-done.

* A. On the day of your test make sure the the engine is good and hot when you arrive to get tested.
I doubt that you will have any problem because you did state that you passed the low and high exhaust values correct?

Just out of curiosity where do you live? If you do not want to post soot me a PM.