PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Seeking Opinions on Radiator Fan Selection...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2013, 12:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default Seeking Opinions on Radiator Fan Selection...

Ok, got the new TYC 2298 PT Cruiser Radiator radiator in no problem. Ran up to op temp and all's well. Topped up to complete purge and ran it up again. Finished purging no sweat. Later before finishing buttoning up everything ran it up again to final check purging and ensure no leaks, no runs, no errors... Gets up to temp, but keeps on going, on up to 3/4. WTF!

The damn fan ain't coming on. Diagnosed that's it's definitely the fan, not the controls. Great, jes had the dang thing out and coulda jes put a new one on and back in with the new rad and be done, but Nooooo...

Advance Auto and other's prices are waaay outta line, at least compared to Amazon which is where I intend to make the purchase for several reasons. Prime if applicable and 5% cash back on charges for starters.

So here's the choices from what I've pared it down to... anyone care to offer their opinions on these, most particularly if you have personal experience with any of them.

Shepherd Auto Parts OEM Style Engine Cooling Radiator Fan at $67.99 + Free Shipping
3 Years Warranty
Same Day Shipping
Includes proper fittings
Am leaning toward this one even though delivery will likely be after Christmas and it's not from Amazon directly which counts a bunch for their unbeatable CS and return policies. However, the 3 Year Warranty and Shepherd Autoparts general rep is a big plus. Rated 4.7 stars over the past 12 months (1,103 ratings).

Depo 333-55003-000 Dual Fan Assembly at $72.31 w/ Amazon Prime

Woulda been my first choice because it 'Ships from and sold by Amazon.com'... EXCEPT...
'Professional installation recommended, for fan with control module or brushless motors, please follow the steps in the "installation notice" inside the box and ensure to re-boot car computer for operating correctly'

Say What?

And this...

Q: this product have warranty? my is broken i use only 13 month
A: Hello, We only offer a one year limited warranty, thank you.

QP D0429-a Chrysler PT Cruiser Replacement AC A/C Condenser Radiator Cooling Fan/Shroud Assembly at $56.95 + $15.00 shipping = $71.95

Not sure why I stuck this one in here... no warranty shown, not Prime, etc... perhaps just in case somebody has a really warm fuzzy feeling and they have some hidden advantage not apparent on the surface and seller jkdautoparts has rating of 4.8 stars over the past 12 months (767 ratings).

VDO FA70136 Radiator Fan Assembly
at $85.36 w/ Amazon Prime

Great brand AFAIK. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com, but pricey.

My conclusion barring anyone with half a clue talking me down is to go with the Shepherd Auto Parts at $67.99 + Free Shipping, 3 Years Warranty, Same Day Shipping, etc. notwithstanding it ain't likely to get here until after Christmas since we've been without the PT for going on five weeks with it down, so a few more days don't make a rat's patoot.

Besides Sweetie needs to be driving the van w/ auto since her knee operation, and I'm really enjoying my recently outta mothballs B&T Miata having reminded me jes how much fun driving, even on the crazy arse roads with the crazy arse drivers 'round heah can be...

What say ya'll?

TIA...
Car #69
Old 21 Dec 2013, 07:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on Radiator Fan Selection...

Price some at Rock auto.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 21 Dec 2013, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

...and if you go to RockAuto Parts Catalog look carefully at the Dorman fan. Lots of people bought it and are happy plus it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 09:34 am
Senior Cruiser

Scoleman69

What year and model PT? How many miles out of curiosity?

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 21 Dec 2013, 10:33 am
Young Cruiser

In checking out RA, at least one ref in the Amazon info, and some refs in the few threads I noted on PTCF it appears they're two different fans or at least fan motors [ two speeds ? ] I gather to accommodate AC vs the usual two fan set up with most cars I'm familiar with...

If so then do all of the ones I'd noted from Amazon have that covered if one can tell. Would explain I reckon the 'Professional installation recommended, for fan with control module or brushless motors, please follow the steps in the "installation notice" inside the box and ensure to re-boot car computer for operating correctly' note with one of them. If not, then sure glad I asked for the input or else I'd have stumbled right on w/o a clue I might be getting one not equipped properly for AC.

From RA, some of the ones listed state thus:
Dual Radiator and Condenser Cooling Fan Assembly

3 Pin Connector

w/o Control Module

Number of Poles: 3 - Manual- / optional automatic transmission; For vehicles without air conditioning
I couldn't imagine, at least on Amazon that they wouldn't be 'universal', i.e. like the radiators coming equipped with TOCs whether one needed it or not.

In the above, just to confuse things for me I note the ref to 3 Pin Connector [ which mine has, presumably since it has AC; does anyone NOT have AC these days... ',) ] and the 'Number of Poles: 3 - Manual- / optional automatic transmission; For vehicles without air conditioning' which implies ones W/O AC also have a 3 pin connector [ 3 poles ].

So what's the story?

Additionally is it worthwhile to consider replacing just the motor. Which I presume also gets into 'Is this one or that one the right one with two speeds.'

Remember Folks, this OF be on a really FIXED income... [ Toggle RANT ON ] Thank ya very much SS COLA [ which sure as hell don't stand for Cost Of Living Adjustment; stands for Cost Of Luxury Adjustment, seeings how stuff one NEEDS to Live keeping going up, while stuff one don't need seems to go down or stay the same... arrrgggghhhhh!!! ]... [ Toggle RANT OFF ]

Dorman from RA w/ shipping I'm looking at $91.30 del...

I can get the Dorman [ presumably the same although it says 'Left' in description ] from my local AA for $91 del. or possibly as low as $80 using the handy dandy coupons on coupons.com. As an aside on the AA Dorman page it has an image of the 'three pin' connector to ensure you're getting the right one, fitting mine prezackly... Keeping in mind my going with my Friends at AA on my first [ non-OEM spec and unacceptable ] radiator came about because I choose to spend more money and go with them on that occasion.

Cheapest one on RA is VARIOUS MFR Part # CH3115118 {#5017407AB} electric fan assembly [ Note - no mention of no. poles / connectors or AC ] is $81 del.

With Shepherd Auto Parts OEM Style Engine Cooling Radiator Fan I'm at $67.99 + Free Shipping. That's real money Folks, to me. Not nuff if it ain't right, but they through Amazon have a pretty decent return policy.

What to do... what to do? Hep me out here fellows...

Fortunately as I noted time isn't a beeg deal so I can wait to get all this straightened out.

TIA,

PS: I repeat money IS an object... up to a point where 'penny wise and pound foolishness' raises 'er ugly head.
Car #69
Old 21 Dec 2013, 10:36 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Scoleman69

What year and model PT? How many miles out of curiosity?
2002 w/ only 50K.
Car #69
Old 21 Dec 2013, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If money IS the main point, then save half the expense (buying the fan is the other half) and put it in yourself. Here's on way to do it....

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
Old 21 Dec 2013, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

IMO without going into the explanation about we're and who makes these fans quality bla bla bla......

Buy the least expensive with the best warrant hand from a murchant that has and is going to around for a long time. Anyone that is a car quest or PAC would be the ones. In the upcoming months they will be the major supply and pretty much hold the monopoly of aftermarket auto parts barion wide.

I would also highly recommend that you do the mod that allows you to manually over ride the PCM control to turn on the fan manually when you want to. This mod will not if done correctly void the warranty or harm the OEM Componets like sensors relays or the PCM itself.

I belive that the export models with 1.6 engines do not have factory AC! That would constitute thousands of PT Cruisers with no factory AC.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 01:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If money IS the main point, then save half the expense (buying the fan is the other half) and put it in yourself. Here's on way to do it....

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
Since I have r'n'r'd the rad w/ fan attached, etc. I do think I can handle the fan r'n'r... ';)

Didja miss my earlier posts about doing my own stuff, specifically the rad saga... ';)

Oh yeah, I know... I been keep'n ya busy moderating all my Bravo Sierra OT nasty arse sarcastic commentaries... ';)

Very little I won't try mesef... Did ALL the build on ALL my own race cars excepting what it took a machine shop to do...

Ex: Amos Jonson and I built the FIRST ever IMSA AAGT Class car to hit the track. Our 'Vegrant', a $5K version of what IMSA intended to be a $100K tube frame chassis silhouette class... Never will forget the perplexed reaction from IMSA's John Bisphop, Charlie Rainville and all they minions when we showed up... ';) Qualified it 19th outta ~65 cars at the '75 24 Hours of Daytona... not too shabby if I say so mesef, an I do... ';)

PS: How does one get the images that one embeds to be a more friendly size EASILY? All these beeg ol pics are driving me nuts and I'm sure other Folks as well. Let me know and I'll come back and edit this one. But fer now it is what it is...
Car #69
Old 21 Dec 2013, 01:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
IMO without going into the explanation about we're and who makes these fans quality bla bla bla......
Thanks for small favors there Nitro... ';)

Quote:
Buy the least expensive with the best warrant hand from a merchant that has and is going to around for a long time.
So far unless someone can convince me otherwise I'm with ya on this...

And best I can tell Shepherd Autoparts on Amazon falls in that category.

Additional differing opinions [ to the ones already expressed ], or expand on those, are appreciated... no, really... ';)

Quote:
I would also highly recommend that you do the mod that allows you to manually over ride the PCM control to turn on the fan manually when you want to. This mod will not if done correctly void the warranty or harm the OEM Componets like sensors relays or the PCM itself.
An answer to a question what weren't asked leastwise fer my young arse... I would however appreciate an explanation of just why one might really need that for a DD, so lemme know if ya would. In simple terms now Nitro; gotta remember ya dealing with a OF what's got 'ol Timer's Disease, chronic CRS, semi-dyslexic, etc... ';)

Really, I got way too much to work on what with trying to get a burned up M50 swapped out for a REAL engine, an S50, in my E30 track'r...

And getting this damn PT finally back on the road... Not to mention ALL the ubiquitous niggling issues that constantly plague folks with late '90's Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth vans... And getting the high dollar HP tires on the M3 broke in correctly soes not to wear them out the first two track days, so I can finally start driving it again [ i.e. gotta do ~100 mi. or so first thing, right off before putting them through even normal heat cycles, and then allow to rest cold min. 24 hours; yeah I know sounds ridiculous, but when my buddy Glenn says it's worth it, IT's WORTH IT! ] ...

And hep me po ol Wife take care ah me 'Mom' [ M-i-L ] who requires being lifted from bed to wheel chair to recliner, to toilet, and back... and fed, etc, etc. etc.

Quote:
I believe that the export models with 1.6 engines do not have factory AC! That would constitute thousands of PT Cruisers with no factory AC.
Yeah I noted that, in particular on the RA site, which is pretty impressive generally BTW. But for the most part we 'mericans don worry too much bout what furrin'rs be messing with and generally when we do, least wise on eBay or Amazon it'll clearly state whether or not International 'cares' makes a rat's patoot...

Apologize to all those OT haters fer all the Bravo Sierra, but having to hang around to hep with Mom today, instead of hanging out with my new car guy acquaintances with the S50 engine we're working on so jes bear with this OF's ruminations ta entertain hissef... ok?
Car #69