PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fender Liner Replacements - not OEM

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2013, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Fender Liner Replacements - not OEM

Ok! As promised here is my recent experience on replacing my fender liners.
** I premise this with the qualification that the company called me, offering a refund for the liners. But, they were what I expected for the money - I was just disappointed in the lack of honest details on their eBay posting.

I note here my previous experiences, where I have gotten refunds and returned items with the seller promising to correct the details of their item listing...
NEVER HAPPENS!
So, I am creating this thread to help make you Cruisers "AWARE"....or beware.

I am finding ohhhhh so many little things to fixer-upper on the 2005 Dream Cruiser that I picked up in SC.
Someone, maybe even the evil step son tried to do some repairs where he drove the car too aggressively, or inattentively, and damaged the front bumper, breaking several mounting clips. (previous thread).

** Both front wheel well liners were either cut off after damage; or just torn off....exposing horns, fog lamps, and even the new headlight bulbs that I had replaced with Eikos. One of them even had tears on the front end that perfectly matched the tire treads!

As I posted previously, I want to resurrect the 2005 Dream Cruiser vert for some events for a year or two, just to keep me busy.
In trying to keep the cost of repairs down, I searched for, and found inexpensive replacement fender liners on eBay.
I had previously replaced one on the 2010 Couture, where I was unable to avoid a large truck tire tread on the interstate, and tore off the mud flap parts. The OEM replacement there was around $70, if I remember correctly. (Can't find the receipt anywhere right now)

I apologize that I left my camera on "close-up" setting...and these photos are not as good as they could be...
OK! You Cruisers are well aware of the quality and thickness of the OEM fender liners, where the fender liner ends in a thick, wrap-around mud flap.
See picture...

Here is a link to the replacement liners on eBay.
"tuningimport"
* Note that nowhere in the description does it hint that these replacement parts are in any way less than OEM replacements.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRIVER-SIDE-...080004&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301034489324...witem=&vxp=mtr

The liners themselves are just fine , for the purpose that I purchased them.
I knew that if I was getting a bargain, somewhat too good to be true, that it wasn't "first class" quality.
The plastic is a more brittle (not subtle) plastic....probably 25-30% thinner than OEM. They are highly glazed on the surface; and therefore should be much easier to keep clean. Made in Tiwan - our ally.
And, being more brittle, I had to use an extra screw or two into the edge of the fender to make the plastic adapt better to the curve of the wheel opening.

Here is a shot of the mud flap area at about the same magnification as the OEM photo.

Here is a closeup, where you can see the thinness of the edges with their lighter color reflection.. The whole mud flap area is molded to the correct shape....but is a hollow shell, compared to OEM.

And, one more difference.
The access panel for the headlight bulbs and horns is held in place with torx screws; rather than a snapped in flanges of the OEM.
Here's a closeup photo of the access panel.

So, the purpose of this thread is not just a warning.....
But yet, a possibility for those who need to make an inexpensive replacements that are perfectly functional.

Hope this helps someone!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 21 Dec 2013 at 01:39 pm.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 05:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Fender Liner Replacements - not OEM

I've looked at those exact fender liners,because I'm needing to replace the driver & passenger sides(torn,piece missing,tread burn,etc.)....And yes,those are the 'lowest' priced ones,but since I was in need of both liners,I have been looking at this set: 01 06 05 04 03 02 Chrysler PT Cruiser F Fender Liner 2P | eBay
They're probably all made by the same mfg plant in Taiwan,so I'd be surprised if these were true 'OEM' thickness.
I also need to replace my engine splash sheild(front edge came loose,got ground off),and I've been looking at this as a replacement(probably thin also!):
New Engine Splash Shield Front Chrysler PT Cruiser 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 | eBay
All that matters,is like you said.....If they do what they are designed to do,I don't mind them being thinner;I also like the idea of the 'Torx' screw headlight access door,better than the 'pop-in' style......At least until the screws strip out the holes in the plastic,then I'll get PO'd!
Old 21 Dec 2013, 08:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Fender Liner Replacements - not OEM

I have a set of new "Tiawan Fender Liners", both left and right that I never used as I wasn't satisfied with the thickness and I had to depend on the strength of the liner to support the ragged damaged edge of my bumper cover till I replace it this spring. That's why I opted out for original equipment, they're heavier. The thiner ones'll work. I kept my "Tiawan" Fender Liners" under the bed to ward of gremlins and kreepies but if you need them they're FREE. They're that flexible that they easily fit under the bed. If any one wants them for FREE just stop by when your in Ormond Beach, 32174, or they might be able to be rolled into a moderate sized box for shipping if you cover that cost. It looks like they'd roll up into a box 16" longx12"widex12"high. The weight can't be more than 4lbs. Remember, the "Tiawan Liners" are FREE, but shipping not included. ptprice
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Fender Liner Replacements - not OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I have a set of new "Tiawan Fender Liners", both left and right that I never used as I wasn't satisfied with the thickness and I had to depend on the strength of the liner to support the ragged damaged edge of my bumper cover till I replace it this spring. That's why I opted out for original equipment, they're heavier. The thiner ones'll work. I kept my "Tiawan" Fender Liners" under the bed to ward of gremlins and kreepies but if you need them they're FREE. They're that flexible that they easily fit under the bed. If any one wants them for FREE just stop by when your in Ormond Beach, 32174, or they might be able to be rolled into a moderate sized box for shipping if you cover that cost. It looks like they'd roll up into a box 16" longx12"widex12"high. The weight can't be more than 4lbs. Remember, the "Tiawan Liners" are FREE, but shipping not included. ptprice
Very nice of you.
Would you please post this at the bottom Forum ("PT Pass It On")

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 27 Apr 2015, 02:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi everyone! I have a quick question...does this fender liner made just form one part? It seems I am missing part witch is covering fog lights...plz help me....I am changing my headlights soon and decided to fix liners too
Old 27 Apr 2015, 04:46 pm
Banned

I encountered this same problem when I purchased some liners from CARiD:

ReplaceŽ - Chrysler PT Cruiser 2006 Front Fender Liner

As soon as I received these I could tell that they were nothing like the OEM, even though their website description says differently and I didn't like the idea of the headlight access door held in place with screws. I quickly returned them and received a full refund. I was having the front bumper replaced at the time and the body shop got me OEM ones at a discount.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 04:49 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luska View Post
Hi everyone! I have a quick question...does this fender liner made just form one part? It seems I am missing part witch is covering fog lights...plz help me....I am changing my headlights soon and decided to fix liners too
The OEM is a one piece liner, but just below the access door for the headlights there is a crease or line where the lower part that covers down to the driving lights could become detached from the main part of the liner. But there are still (3) screws into the fender which would prevent that section from departing the vehicle, it just wouldn't be attached to the main part of the liner at the top.

Old 27 Apr 2015, 04:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
The OEM is a one piece liner, but just below the access door for the headlights there is a crease or line where the lower part that covers down to the driving lights could become detached from the main part of the liner. But there are still (3) screws into the fender which would prevent that section from departing the vehicle, it just wouldn't be attached to the main part of the liner at the top.

on this photos, you can see this part on the left kind of tilting, this is what I am missing, so if I have to replace I need to get the whole liner?
Old 27 Apr 2015, 05:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luska View Post
on this photos, you can see this part on the left kind of tilting, this is what I am missing, so if I have to replace I need to get the whole liner?
Yes, you would have to get the entire liner. They are not that difficult to replace. You might go a pull-a-part place and just get the front piece that you need.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 05:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Yes, you would have to get the entire liner. They are not that difficult to replace. You might go a pull-a-part place and just get the front piece that you need.
I decided to take picture to make sure this is what I exactly need
this is from passenger side
20150427_140149.jpg

and drive side
20150427_140214.jpg

and also it seems like they selling the type you attached the photo and another one longer type, here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/01-06-CHRYSLER.../dp/B007UH4WY6
what is the difference between them