PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Looking To Replace Either Fan Motor Or Fix Motor If Possible - Anybody BTDTGTBT...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scoleman69

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2013, 06:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Looking To Replace Either Fan Motor Or Fix Motor If Possible - Anybody BTDTGTBT...

Got the damn fan out... More trouble than the rad / fan assembly in my experience, except one doesn't have to drain the whole coolant system, just enough to get below the top hose.

So, I'm now looking to replace the motor in lieu of the entire assembly since they are readily available presuming they are compatible with the OEM fan blades and housing.

Then I find that replacing the brushes may be all that's needed, so first I'm looking into that... per The radiator fan fix

However, as is the norm with many 'How To's' there seems to be a bit lacking as to how to remove the blade from the motor, and especially disassembling the motor. May be shown elsewhere but it ain't coming up real easy... one would think it'd be right here. Either forum search engines in general, not just here, don't allow for very selective searches or I've been too stupid all these years to get them to work, even Advanced, like you know "stuff in quotes". So while we're at it if anyone can enlighten me in that area please do so.

So, any detailed instructions from the get go would be appreciated.

Sure I can figure all or some of it out eventually but better to have a heads up on stuff to avoid screwing up any more than possible...

For starters, does the fan blade come off like it looks like it should; i.e. drive the flat 'cupped' retainer washer off with a flat bladed screw driver either in the slot at the 8 o'clock position in the pic or from the outer circumference of the 'washer' or other ??

TIA...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radiator Fan - 1.jpg (33.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Radiator Fan - 2.jpg (34.6 KB, 58 views)
Car #69
Old 21 Dec 2013, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Looking To Replace Either Fan Motor Or Fix Motor If Possible - Anybody BTDTGTBT..

There is an explanation and how to about a manual fan switch on Nitro's PT thread.
If you look at the PCM temperature setting are for your PT you may answer your own question about have a manual switch and PCM control together is a Jennifer ob a Dailey driver?
Old 21 Dec 2013, 08:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Looking To Replace Either Fan Motor Or Fix Motor If Possible - Anybody BTDTGTBT..

Here's my choice for replacement cooling fan motor...

TYC 630330 Chrysler PT Cruiser Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Motor at $39.00 + $5.60 shipping. = $44.60

Rock Auto has the identical fan motor TYC Part # 630330 at $57.30 del.

FWIW as an aside, Amazon's search function leaves a lot to be desired in many respects especially if you're not aware of it's idiosyncrasies... Ex: If you search for this fan motor in the 'Automotive' section or related it will not come up. I only found it because it showed up in the 'Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed...' and / or 'Customers Who Bought Items in Your Recent History Also Bought..' listings found at the bottom of most items pages. I've found a LOT of stuff that way that otherwise would have gone completely unnoticed. A real PITA, but them's the way it are...

Still needing any advice / detail info on removing fan blade from the shaft and the motor itself from the housing, which I'm guessing that part's pretty obvious ONCE the fan blade is off. I've worked on numerous fan / other device's motors, just don't see the obvious fasteners, etc for this particular installation and prefer not to experiment.

Presume fasteners are underneath the fan blade hub as none are apparent in these pics...

But first to get the funky fan blade fastener off per original query in Post #1, if anyone's able to suggest best method soes I don't bollix up the works too bad in the process... otherwise it'll be the ol whack it with a flat driver of some sort and hope it don't ding'er up...

TIA...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radiator Fan - 3.jpg (46.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Radiator Fan - 4.jpg (40.2 KB, 47 views)
Car #69
Old 21 Dec 2013, 08:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
There is an explanation and how to about a manual fan switch on Nitro's PT thread.
If you look at the PCM temperature setting are for your PT you may answer your own question about have a manual switch and PCM control together is a Jennifer ob a Dailey driver?
Hi Nitro,

Appreciate your taking time to try'n hep me out heah, BUT I'm just not sure what the hey you're referring to above has to do with my fixing or replacing the cooling fan motor straight out.

This appears to be the subject you broached in my other thread Seeking Opinions on Radiator Fan Selection... at Post #8.

As for 'If you look at the PCM temperature setting are for your PT you may answer your own question about have a manual switch and PCM control together is a Jennifer ob a Dailey driver?'... if that's supposed to lead me somewhere's of interest it'd help a lot if you just posted the link cause a search for 'Jennifer ob a Dailey driver' comes up with, oh say 'bout 488 threads and I really ain't got the time to weed through'm all... ';)

Also help if ya kept the stuff related to the other thread in the other thread... this OF stays plenty confused nuff as it is and all this mix'n and match'n subject matter between threads ain't hep'n me a dang bit... ';)

Now if'n ya really wanna hep I'm betting you of pert near anybody round here knows exactly the best way to free the dang fan blade hub from the fan motor shaft... without breaking / bending / losing the sprung 'washer' style retainer.

So humor me if ya will... ';)

And TIA...
Car #69
Old 21 Dec 2013, 08:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Limited response sitting in the PT from a day drive wife needs a couple x-mas without me present. To hard for me to post much. Maybe later?
Besides the mod I am talking about can be done anytime.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 01:55 am
Young Cruiser

Never mind... It's done... A lil Whack'll Do It...

New TYC 630330 Chrysler PT Cruiser Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Motor at $39.00 + $5.60 shipping. = $44.60 is on it's way. Less 5% Cash Back from Chase Freedom makes $42.37 outta pocket... ';)

Beats the hey outta $65 - $130 depending...

And since Rock Auto sez...
'More Information for TYC 630330 -
TYC motors are built comparable to unique OE shapes, not universal type motors. Each is new, not rebuilt/refurbished. It has comparable design to the OE in rotation, speed, torque, and operational longevity. TYC motors feature premium grade ball bearings and permanent magnets to ensure longest-lasting performance under the most extreme conditions. Cooling Fan Motor designs are put through a multitude of tests, like corrosion, moisture, vibration, high to low temp operation, to name to a few.'
Thaz good nuff fer me...
randyincctx likes this.
Car #69

Last edited by scoleman69; 22 Dec 2013 at 01:58 am.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 01:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Default A beeg ol Shout Out to VOETOM!

Ok Folks...

This IS how one writes instructions...

A beeg ol Shout Out to VOETOM! For answering my PM to him having noted he'd been involved in a related thread... and to dwpate5 for also responding to a similar request via PM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOETOM
Steve, take a screwdriver and a hammer and tap the rectangular hole at 8:00 away from the shaft. The head of the screwdriver will be at 2:00 when you hold it. [ Reference images in Post #1 above ] That washer is actually a springy washer and holds it all together. Hit it hard and it pops right off. Use some WD-40 first on the shaft to make it easier. Once the spring washer is off, spray some WD-40 on the rusted motor shaft and then hold the fan assembly by the fan and smack the shaft with a wooden mallet or plastic hammer to not hurt the shaft.

Tom
Thanks Tom... for ACTUALLY reading what I wrote and responding accordingly, in Spades!
Car #69

Last edited by scoleman69; 22 Dec 2013 at 01:05 pm.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 03:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Looking To Replace Either Fan Motor Or Fix Motor If Possible - Anybody BTDTGTBT..

If you don't have to turn the old motor in for core,maybe you could take it apart,and have some fun with it,and post the missing 'How-To' steps & photos that are missing on this forum.....Because like you said;There are plenty of photos on how to replace the brushes,but none on the primary disassembly.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 05:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
If you don't have to turn the old motor in for core,maybe you could take it apart,and have some fun with it,and post the missing 'How-To' steps & photos that are missing on this forum:cool2:.....Because like you said;There are plenty of photos on how to replace the brushes,but none on the primary disassembly.
Some of the more detailed pictorial stuff from dwpate5's Album 2007 PT Cruiser might help.

Unfortunately, I really don't have the time nor the inclination to get into motor rebuilding although at first blush it seemed an option until I read six months later in the thread where all the neat fixes didn't have much longevity.

The only primary disassembly that I was looking for for starters was the pretty lame simplistic how to get the dang fan blade retainer unretained... ';) which has been covered above.

Ain't looked but I'm guessing taking the motor apart may well be pretty obvious. That said I'd bet, hopefully without obligating 'um ta too much grief, that either VOETOM or dwpate5 would help anyone who's masochistic and cheapskate nuff to go to all that trouble for a 6 mo. fix... ';)

I quickly disabused mesef of any such thoughts of saving even $30-40 cuz it jes won't gonna be worth it... I mean I already been beating on this damn PT's cooling system fer the past going on 6 weeks and 'bout had my fill... ';)

Jes wanna get the dang fan motor in hand, installed in the housing, back in the car without screwing too much other stuff up, buttoned up, topped up, bled and finally ready for the road... soes I kin got on about the business of REAL cars like the E30 what been waiting fer it's engine transplant for going on two years...
Car #69