Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Technical issues on the 2003 model?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2013, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Technical issues on the 2003 model?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, though i have had a thing for the PT for many years. I've been idly considering buying one as my first car for sometime and I have found an offer on craigslist for an 03 cruiser with 70000 miles on it for 900 dollars. Because the price is so low and there are no pictures of the car i am mildly suspicious of the offer and I obviously don't want to get burned.

I am planning on going to look at the car sometime in the near future. What problems should I look for? at the 70000 mile mark, what are some problems that are likely to surface with continued driving, and at what point will these problems likely manifest?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 08:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Technical issues on the 2003 model?

Welcome, Luigi!

The protocol on this forum appears to be to introduce yourself first in the new members sections. But you are cool with me. And others are likely redundant if they cover this protocol again.

I bought my car off of Craigs List after looking at several super cheap ones and deciding not to go that way. Most have one or more of these issues:

1. Slipped or broken timing belt.
2. Overheated with suspected or known blown head gasket.
3. Just don't run and owner does not know why. (Likely timing belt and/or computer issues)
4. Beat up and ragged out.
5. AC does not work.
6. Bad transmission.
7. Very sloppy repair of the issues already mentioned.

There is a good chance the unseen PT you are referencing has one or more of these issues but the owner is waiting for potential buyers to call before disclosing the issues. That generates more calls.

If you find what appears to be a clean good-running good-driving PT, there are a number of smaller issues to look for. In my area, finding a car with a documented service and oil change record is next to impossible. So I wouldn't rule out cars that don't have those. And for the rest, I'll let some of the other members comment.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Dec 2013 at 09:04 pm.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tend not to introduce myself on forums, I can't help but come across as really corny when I do, So i just don't bother. I wait to post until I have something interesting to say.

Thanks for the quick response, by the way. The ad says the car is in great condition, Which I assume means that it drives. I put in an email and I'm waiting for him to contact me in response.

He says in the ad that he doesn't have a title and is currently filing for a new one, and that he is moving which is why he can't keep it. It sounds a little shady, but the possibility of a 900 dollar PT cruiser that is in good running shape at least deserves looking into.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 09:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Technical issues on the 2003 model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
Because the price is so low and there are no pictures of the car i am mildly suspicious of the offer and I obviously don't want to get burned.

I am planning on going to look at the car sometime in the near future. What problems should I look for?
You have a right to be suspicious,ask the seller to send you a photo from their phone....If they say they can't send one(since pretty much EVERYONE has a phone with a camera on it nowadays!);I would be worried that you may be set up for getting robbed;There are plenty of people's stories about being robbed,and most of them started just like yours.
If you insist on seeing the car,and meeting up with the seller....I would really recommend you meet them at a local police station,or sheriff's office.(If they 'balk' at that,then your suspicions are confirmed!)
Old 22 Dec 2013, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
He says in the ad that he doesn't have a title and is currently filing for a new one, and that he is moving which is why he can't keep it. It sounds a little shady, but the possibility of a 900 dollar PT cruiser that is in good running shape at least deserves looking into.
Yep. This could be the standard Craigs List scam where someone offers to sell a car very cheaply but the car is in a different area. They just want you to pay the low price and they will then supposedly ship the car to you. Of course, there is no car.

But, the low price could be because of the lost title. Don't purchase a car with no title unless you are very very sure of the history. In many states, it is next to impossible to get a lost title if there is any break in documentations. You could end up trying to find several different past owners to get them to sign a release. And if any of them will not sign, that person may technically end up being the owner in the law's eyes. You could end up with a car that cannot be licensed. Or worse, end up having to give it back to a previous owner and just loosing your money.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 09:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Technical issues on the 2003 model?

Quote:
He says in the ad that he doesn't have a title and is currently filing for a new one
STRIKE #1
Quote:
and that he is moving which is why he can't keep it.
STRIKE #2
Old 22 Dec 2013, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, don't worry, I don't plan to buy the car until he has title in hand.

I'm pretty sure the car is locally owned because it is listed in local results. If i can't actually drive the car away I wouldn't consider it.

As for getting robbed, I know that is a possibility. If the seller responds I intend to meet in a public place with a couple people on hand just in case.

I know to be cautious.

But with a deal this potentially good, I at least want to look into it. If the car is actually in good condition then it would be just about perfect for me. One of the sexiest modern cars that I can actually afford (The Rolls-Royce, sadly, will have to wait).
Old 23 Dec 2013, 11:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Same story on a different car in my local craigslist (different car).
Too good to be true- Sorry for not answering your original question.

I sold an older PT for multiple times more; people were still calling left and right. It'd be gone like a twenty laying on the sidewalk.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's the main reason I'm looking into it.

It's probably a scam, but on the off chance that it's legit everyone will assume it's a scam meaning I will most likely be the only person to respond to the ad.

My hopes aren't high, but it rarely hurts to try.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
That's the main reason I'm looking into it.

It's probably a scam, but on the off chance that it's legit everyone will assume it's a scam meaning I will most likely be the only person to respond to the ad.

My hopes aren't high, but it rarely hurts to try.
That deal looks very similar to this one on eBay. And notice that this is really a DREAM cruiser. And notice that it is a zero feed back seller that wants a $500 deposit.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Wagon 4 Door | eBay