PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Turbo now with more electrical problems!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Dec 2013, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2006 Turbo now with more electrical problems!

Hello all!

I posted in here last summer because my 2006 Turbo was having intermittent electrical issues where all the dash lights would come on while driving, and it started to lose power. Turned out the recommended answer (new ignition switch) solved the problem and I haven't seen it in over a year.

On to the next problem! I just got a new shifter cable last week, which I'm mentioning because I don't know if it could have any effect on the current situation.

When I went to pick up the car at the mechanic, battery was dead. They jumped it, and it seemed fine.

Last night I drove to see a friend about 40 miles away. Was there for a few hours, went to drive home, everything seemed normal until I turned the key and then the whole car went dark, no clicking, no dash lights, no odometer, nothing. Called AAA, they sent someone to give me a jump and it didn't work - got nothing when I turned the key. He also tested the battery and it was full and the voltage was fine... 12 point something... This morning, I called a tow, and went out to check the car and it started up like normal... so I drove it home.

I'm assuming the alternator also fine since I made it 40 or 50 miles.

When I got home, the power locks wouldn't work which seemed odd. I turned the car off and restarted it just to see if it was still starting, and it was, but 10 minutes later, I went out to try starting it again (trying to recreate the problem) and it was completely dead again. I'm going to clean the battery terminals tomorrow, but it doesn't look like they're the problem.

Is there any chance this is a fuse thing? Or maybe the starter again? I can't bear the thought of having to have someone pull out all the wiring again in the hope of finding the gremlin. Any thoughts are welcome, and if I forgot any information that could be useful, please let me know.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 09:07 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2006 Turbo now with more electrical problems!

Why do you only post here when you are having issues?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Why do you only post here when you are having issues?
Because that's when she needs to and that's fine. Why are you posting when you have no help to offer anyway. As long as they come with respect I will help them If I can . Maybe they might hang out. If not that's there right.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Dec 2013, 12:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Busted_PT - thanks!

Busa - I only post here when I have issues because it seems like a great place to get help and everyone has been very nice before, and not being very much of a car person, I'm not sure what else I could contribute that would be meaningful. I love my cruiser. I had an '01 before I had the '06, so I'm definitely a fan but like I said, not sure what I'd have to contribute otherwise.

I did a lot of searching before I posted, and found others who had expressed similar problems, but no clear solution, so I thought I'd ask the experts. I got a battery terminal cleaning kit and new fuses already, so I'm prepared to try some things tomorrow on my own that are within my abilities.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 01:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Greetings sarahemily
Glad you are here for the reasons you wrote.

Is it the original battery?
Although your battery has voltage (original post), it may be failing, if over even three years aged. This was my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahemily View Post
Hi ... thanks!
... seems like a great place to get help and everyone has been very nice ... sure ... I could contribute ... be meaningful. I love my cruiser. I had an '01 before I had the '06, so I'm definitely a fan ... have to contribute ....

I did a lot of searching before I posted, and found others who had expressed similar problems, but no clear solution, so I thought I'd ask the experts. I got a battery terminal cleaning kit and new fuses already, so I'm prepared to try some things tomorrow on my own that are within my abilities.
sanatanadharma when you are no longer posting in stealth mode and make the availability for PMs then welcome , join and participate on this forum as a supporting member. Until then your responses in most threads will be temporarily removed.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Along with what he said above. You can follow the grounds back to where they connect and clean these as well. Not just the battery ends. I'm not to familiar with the 2end gen. They have a different wiring system. So I'm reluctant to give ideas on these.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Dec 2013, 11:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Hi, read about your electrical issues and had some thoughts. I suspect that what you have going on may be tied to your replaced ignition switch. The good news is that the problem should be fairly easy to track down assuming the problem is present when getting checked. Keep in mind a fuse is either good or is blown to protect a part of the system so what you are describing with this intermittent problem typically will not be a fuse.

Now it is possible you have a connection issue like a loose ground or dirty connection but since the car was not moved and then after sitting got power back that helps to narrow down the possibility of a loose or dirty connection.

When you said the car had no power does that mean you had absolutely no power to anything? It is important because no power may mean to you no power to dash lights and car would not start but what I am trying to figure out is if no power means no dome lights etc.? If you had absolutely no power at all in the complete car then this would lead me to think you are having a failure at your main lead coming off the battery into the main fuse/relay box. If on the other had you have no power to dash lights and engine not cranking over but you have dome lights etc then you may be having a issue in some way with that replaced ignition switch.

I suspect that your problem may be tied into the shift cable getting replaced but this is just a strong possibility. Does not mean the shift cable itself is the problem but rather when the shift cable was being put in something got shifted or disturbed that is now causing this issue. Let us know for sure what you mean by no power and then I will be able to give you more insight into how to narrow down the cause of the problem. I would also recommend stopping by and talking to the mechanic who replaced the shift cable and let them know what is going on. Since you said the battery was dead and had to be jumped after the shift cable was replaced ( I am assuming this was not an issue before this ) then that would show me that when the shift cable was replaced a connection may have been disrupted in the process of installing the shift cable. At least this will give the mechanic a chance to go back and check all areas that were worked around putting the shift cable in and may just find the problem.

Good luck as I know how frustrating it can be to have a car that will not start and leaves you stranded. Good news is in one respect we know you do not have a complete failure of a part or component but this can also be very frustrating because one time it acts up and then after sitting it now works.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 12:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
Hi, read about your electrical issues and had some thoughts. I suspect that what you have going on may be tied to your replaced ignition switch. The good news is that the problem should be fairly easy to track down assuming the problem is present when getting checked. Keep in mind a fuse is either good or is blown to protect a part of the system so what you are describing with this intermittent problem typically will not be a fuse.

Now it is possible you have a connection issue like a loose ground or dirty connection but since the car was not moved and then after sitting got power back that helps to narrow down the possibility of a loose or dirty connection.

When you said the car had no power does that mean you had absolutely no power to anything? It is important because no power may mean to you no power to dash lights and car would not start but what I am trying to figure out is if no power means no dome lights etc.? If you had absolutely no power at all in the complete car then this would lead me to think you are having a failure at your main lead coming off the battery into the main fuse/relay box. If on the other had you have no power to dash lights and engine not cranking over but you have dome lights etc then you may be having a issue in some way with that replaced ignition switch.

I suspect that your problem may be tied into the shift cable getting replaced but this is just a strong possibility. Does not mean the shift cable itself is the problem but rather when the shift cable was being put in something got shifted or disturbed that is now causing this issue. Let us know for sure what you mean by no power and then I will be able to give you more insight into how to narrow down the cause of the problem. I would also recommend stopping by and talking to the mechanic who replaced the shift cable and let them know what is going on. Since you said the battery was dead and had to be jumped after the shift cable was replaced ( I am assuming this was not an issue before this ) then that would show me that when the shift cable was replaced a connection may have been disrupted in the process of installing the shift cable. At least this will give the mechanic a chance to go back and check all areas that were worked around putting the shift cable in and may just find the problem.

Good luck as I know how frustrating it can be to have a car that will not start and leaves you stranded. Good news is in one respect we know you do not have a complete failure of a part or component but this can also be very frustrating because one time it acts up and then after sitting it now works.
Keep in mind his is an 06 and troubleshooting electrical is a whole different ball game. Do a search for TIPM and you will see what I mean lol.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 01:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

@sanatanadharma - not the original battery, but it's about 3 years old, I believe.

@GOLDNPT - yeah, dead meaning when I turn the key, there's no clicking noise, no dash lights, the mileage isn't displayed on the dash, power locks don't work, no lights... absolutely no indication that the car works at all.

I should also note that I went out to the car Tuesday morning, it seemed to be working fine, I cleaned the battery terminals just because I figured it couldn't hurt and checked all the fuses (they all seem fine) and I haven't had a problem since. I did notice the headlights were maybe flickering a bit that night but haven't noticed it since.

It definitely could be related to the shifter cable even though I've had the car back for over a week before the problem showed up and I drive it every day. The ignition switch is a year and a half old, but maybe it's a problem again - I do tend to like the steering wheel all the way up, which is what was putting pressure on the wires in the ignition switch and causing the problem the first time, I think. At least, that's what the mechanic told me.

Thanks all!!
Old 27 Dec 2013, 02:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

I think your mechanic is having fun at your expense. The tilt column should be able to operate within its full range without any issues. *Possibly* there was an original assembly mistake which resulted in poorly routed wires, but your mechanic should have addressed that when he replaced the switch the first time. Using the car as intended shouldn't shorten the lifespan of any component.

Tags
2006, dead, electrical, starter, won't start