PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.0L cam swap in 2004 turbo lite questions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Dec 2013, 12:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2.0L cam swap in 2004 turbo lite questions

i have a 2004 platinum edition turbo lite and want to do the 2.0 cam swap b/c i'm on a budget. has anyone tried this? do you need to tune it to the cams? i dont have any mods yet, this is my first.. planning a stage 1 around income tax time.. i've done my research on everything i could find here and @ srtforums, just need a little more guidance. thanks in advance.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2.0L cam swap in 2004 turbo lite questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBETTY View Post
i have a 2004 platinum edition turbo lite and want to do the 2.0 cam swap b/c i'm on a budget. has anyone tried this? do you need to tune it to the cams? i dont have any mods yet, this is my first.. planning a stage 1 around income tax time.. i've done my research on everything i could find here and @ srtforums, just need a little more guidance. thanks in advance.
Send NitroPT a message. He has a ton of experience with cams.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Dec 2013, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The 2.0 cam swap is not what everyone claimed it to be. I rolled up the cam for the engineering specifications so I do know what the real story is. You would do better to get an adjustable cam gear for the stock exhaust cam and advance the cam about 4-6 degree's. There are better option for a performance grade camshaft set without having to spend a lot of money.

NS PT CAMSHAFTS another idea?
Old 25 Dec 2013, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i would love to do that but the price and funds are the problem.. for that much i could get a stage 1 pcm. is the budget cam swap worth doing, is there anything i need to worry about doing it? its pretty much that or look for something else.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 09:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lots of this on Neons.org- And something to do with changing plug wires and injector clips-Sorry I didn't pay much attention- I already have DOHC cams!
I can't say enough for this little engine. People estimated it put out 175HP, stock, based on weigh and timeslips it was getting.

Anyhow, cheap is right- I've got a set for $45 on e-bay now ...

DOHC Cams
Old 31 Dec 2013, 01:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Lots of this on Neons.org- And something to do with changing plug wires and injector clips-Sorry I didn't pay much attention- I already have DOHC cams!
I can't say enough for this little engine. People estimated it put out 175HP, stock, based on weigh and timeslips it was getting.

Anyhow, cheap is right- I've got a set for $45 on e-bay now ...

DOHC Cams
Exactly what did the 2.0 DOHC cams do for your 2.4L?
Old 31 Dec 2013, 01:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It was the single cam specifically the exhaust camshaft. The intake specification for the 2.0 and 2.4 are the same.

The exhaust cam basically allowed a very slightly greater amount of exhaust cycle. This translated to perhaps 1-5 net hp gain if the camshaft were timed and degreed properly. However the reports varied depending on who reported and it became more of a mythical mod the practical one. You could have effectively advanced the 2.4 stock exhaust cam and gotten the same results with out the extra installation trouble. I rolled the cam to get the engineering specification on all the available options for a PT 2.4 engine in order to machine abetter mouse-trap.
NS PT1

Uptownsport has great prices on various PT engine parts.

Last edited by NitroPT; 31 Dec 2013 at 01:28 am.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It was the single cam specifically the exhaust camshaft. The intake specification for the 2.0 and 2.4 are the same.

The exhaust cam basically allowed a very slightly greater amount of exhaust cycle. This translated to perhaps 1-5 net hp gain if the camshaft were timed and degreed properly. However the reports varied depending on who reported and it became more of a mythical mod the practical one. You could have effectively advanced the 2.4 stock exhaust cam and gotten the same results with out the extra installation trouble. I rolled the cam to get the engineering specification on all the available options for a PT 2.4 engine in order to machine abetter mouse-trap.
NS PT1

Uptownsport has great prices on various PT engine parts.
I understand and appreciate that you are trying not to link directly to products you have an interest in. But I have not found a vendor selling a NS PT1 or similar at a "good price" and Uptownsport is selling 2.0 DOHC cams on eBay. So please point us to some locations where these decently priced PT camshafts can be found, research and purchased.

Also, it much less expensive to obtain a used 2.0 DOHC exhaust camshaft than to buy a "quality" cam sprocket that can be advanced. I imagine that is why this is a popular mod. And unless this mod is just driven by lore (which it may be), a 1 to 5 horsepower net gain is not enough for a driver to detect without a dyno. You might as well go on a diet for a week or empty the glove box for the same effect.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Dec 2013 at 10:52 am.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I understand and appreciate that you are trying not to link directly to products you have an interest in. But I have not found a vendor selling a NS PT1 or similar at a "good price" and Uptownsport is selling 2.0 DOHC cams on eBay. So please point us to some locations where these decently priced PT camshafts can be found, research and purchased.

Also, it much less expensive to obtain a used 2.0 DOHC exhaust camshaft than to buy a "quality" cam sprocket that can be advanced. I imagine that is why this is a popular mod. And unless this mod is just driven by lore (which it may be), a 1 to 5 horsepower net gain is not enough for a driver to detect without a dyno. You might as well go on a diet for a week or empty the glove box for the same effect.

The availability of the NS products are through FES LLC and specifically for PT Cruiser Thumper Performance. The website on both of these vendors has not been updated and will not reflect PT Cruisers until the end of January. You would need to contact them direct or in the case of Thumper performance until he get set up as a member her go to
PT Cruiser Network and Forum

Thumper Perfromance
Thumper Performance | The OTHER MINI Head!
or lots of information at:
http://ptcruisernetwork.com/forum/in...oard,40.0.html

FES LLC
Shift Light | Automotive Modules | OBD-II Products | FES-Auto

You miss the point about the camshafts. In order for any camshaft to be optimally efficient they need to be degreed properly when installed. An adjustable timing gear or set is about the easiest way to do it if you do not have machining experience that you can cut key ways in the gear and sprocket.
You can purchase a single adjustable gear so you can adjust the stock exhaust camshaft or intake alone. Naturally it would be better to do both but the exhaust will yield better gains.

Contrary to word of mouth and forums camshaft by themselves do not make large jumps in engine output. BUT and that is a BIG BUTT they will augment other engine upgrades for more total engine output then if the parts were effecting engine output alone. Follow me?
i.e. Hypothetical scenario based on real events. A different 4 cyd. engine platform.
Performance Camshaft installed = 9hp. Ported head installed without cam =25hp. Cam and head= 45hp. Cam, head and Performance ECU calibration=65hp gain.

What the NS camshafts will do unlike any others offered currently for PT Cruiser 2.4 is gain a linear range of engine output both in horsepower and torque all the way through the engines operating range to about 6300. Just to be clear this is not to say that it will drop off it simply means all the testing was up to that engine speed. The next inherit issue with the 2.4 engines in all models Chrysler engine is spring float and bounce even at relativity low engine speeds of about 3800rpm. But that is another subject.

Back to the 2.0 camshafts. My estimate for engine output in my response was simply to save arguments from those that really have no business debating or arguing with me about it. Doing program simulation on the camshafts profile and using the engineering specification of a 2.4 exhaust and 2.0 camshafts the results on a normal aspirated 2.4 engine resulted in less then 2 hp gain in engine output.
Note: one of the specifications on an ex. 2.0 cam may in some cases have changed the exhaust tone. This psychological effect may have been interpreted as increased engine power output?

Personally speaking my conclusions from testing were unless you add other engine capable improvements like a ported head, modified Turbo, increased CFM exhaust system or parts then the singular installing of a 2.0 camshaft is really not going to do anything noticeable.

IMO the PT Cruiser or Neon owners doing the 2.0 exhaust cam swap into their 2.4 engine already had engine power output improvements already installed on their cars. At least the down pipe or CAT back systems. This may be why the reports were so positive about the the use of them? I dozens of threads on various forums and not once did I read anyone doing a single before and after Dyno run with only a 2.0 cam swap.
DCR racing has done some extensive performance work on several Chrysler 4 cylinder engines and has some background postings on various Chrysler forums that you can read between the lines confirming some of what I am talking about. Just remember I actually develop camshaft profiles for many different engines and he installs camshafts and suggests idea's about specifications. DCR is just customer service oriented and very forum polite unlike my style of responses.

Besides TODD aka Handy_Cruiser I thought you said this is only a daily driver not a PT HOT ROD?

Last edited by NitroPT; 31 Dec 2013 at 12:10 pm.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Besides TODD aka Handy_Cruiser I thought you said this is only a daily driver not a PT HOT ROD?
You have to remember Lynn, I'm very old school and my professional experience was with heavy trucks and much older gasoline engines. From what you just described, a performance cam and advance timing kit alone in a 2.4L would not have near the impact that dropping a cam in an old American V8 would have. My own experience is that a low to moderate RPM cam in a Chevy, Ford or Chrysler V8 usually gave substantially improved performance and mpg whether or not it was a daily driver or for work or play. Many 1970's 350 engines were just pure junk from the factory without the addition of a better camshaft. And of course, better heads, intakes, headers and the rest are good too, but were usually not needed for daily drivers back in the day.

For this newer little-car little-engine "tuner" world that we are in now, I need to depend on folks like you to bring me up to speed in specific areas. In order to learn, you have to be willing to ask the questions that help fill in the gaps in your knowledge base. Pride only supports ignorance.

Tags
2.0l cam turbo budget