PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My PT Cruiser died on highway

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2013, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My PT Cruiser died on highway

Hi, Iīm new to this forum and this is my first American Car. Iīm a 34 year old teacher from Sweden.

I have a 2.0 L 16 V Pt Cruiser from year 2000, no turbo about 130 000 miles. I donīt think the cambelt is changed. I have owned the car for about 6 months. First the yellow "check engine light" started to light and a couple of weeks later my car just died on the highway. No overheating and no strange sound. And the car will not start now. I have checked the sparkplugs and there is spark, but i dont know for sure if the spark is good enough. The only fault code I can see in the dashboard is P1684 and i know that is the battery. The battery was disconnected for charging and its good (12.6V)

Any suggestions? Any common fauls? What would you check next?

Last edited by zilvermink1; 26 Dec 2013 at 12:19 pm.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My PT Cruiser died on highway

Welcome to the forum.

If you know the Camshaft belt hasn't been changed, it's a good chance, at that mileage, that a broken/snapped belt is your problem. If you know someone that can help, the easiest way to check is to take off the Camshaft sensor and see if the end of the camshaft is turning while you try and start the car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 02:12 pm
Banned

Welcome

Feel free to post pictures

Have you joined any local Swedish pt cruiser clubs?

If not, feel free to start one and be an enthusiast and my just an owner
Old 26 Dec 2013, 02:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The timing belt seems to be alright when I looked under the plastic cover onthe passenger side of the engine

Last edited by zilvermink1; 26 Dec 2013 at 02:51 pm.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

If you know the Camshaft belt hasn't been changed, it's a good chance, at that mileage, that a broken/snapped belt is your problem. If you know someone that can help, the easiest way to check is to take off the Camshaft sensor and see if the end of the camshaft is turning while you try and start the car.

The timing belt seems to be alright (not broken)
Old 26 Dec 2013, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I seem to think that it's not ok. Looks to be off track of where it's been running. ( bthe shinny area) But simple test is to turn the key over And see if it moves. Could be broken at the bottom. making it look like it's ok. At least you know for sure. Any codes were lost when the battery was disconnected.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Dec 2013, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I seem to think that it's not ok. Looks to be off track of where it's been running. ( bthe shinny area) But simple test is to turn the key over And see if it moves. Could be broken at the bottom. making it look like it's ok. At least you know for sure. Any codes were lost when the battery was disconnected.
I really hope itīs not broken I have to check that immediately!
Old 26 Dec 2013, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have checked the timing belt with the starter engine and it seems to be not broken. It moved round when i turned the key

Is it possible that the belt can has "jumped over" and the ignition and timing is wrong? Or shall I check the fuelsystem? I tryed to start with start gas in the intake and it didnīt start or even tryed to start (no change in sound at all).

Last edited by zilvermink1; 26 Dec 2013 at 05:30 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Bad news! No compression at all. Checked comp on cyl 1 & 4 with 0.0 in result

What du you think has happened? Timing belt jumped over? I know that the belt is old and that it was time to change. I have checked the belt and I canīt se any damage on it.

Do you think that the valves and crank shafts are messed up?

Last edited by zilvermink1; 27 Dec 2013 at 09:10 am.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilvermink1 View Post
Bad news! No compression at all. Checked comp on cyl 1 & 4 with 0.0 in result

What du you think has happened? Timing belt jumped over? I know that the belt is old and that it was time to change. I have checked the belt and I canīt se any damage on it.

Do you think that the valves and crank shafts are messed up?
Yes I would agree with you on the jumped time. No I don't think you will have any damage. But time to do a belt and pump change. Check eBay or Rock auto for belt kits. Also look for coupon codes to use for discounts on either.

Here are some helpful Threads from the ho to's section in Tech and performance section. There are others as well as looking on u tube.

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com