Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CRUISER FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2013, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default CRUISER FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM

I have a "05" pt cruiser non-turbo that I recently purchased. The gas tank is over 3/4 full but the gauge reads empty with the low fuel light on.Could a fuse be the cause or something else?
Old 27 Dec 2013, 11:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: CRUISER FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM

Did this issue arise shortly after adding fuel to the tank?......I'm not sure about PT Cruisers,but a few years ago,one of our local gas station companies,had an entire batch of fuel that had a high sulphur content,and it mainly affected Ford vehicles,but some ramdom others also.....One of the first symptoms was incorrect fuel gauge,but progressed into 'no-start' & fuel pump failure situations.
Alot of people ended up having to have new fuel pumps installed,the company ended up paying for most of them;My Ford Ranger ended up being fine,as mine was just a less than 5 gallon top-off,but my gauge read empty until the next couple of fill-ups.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 08:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: CRUISER FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM

I don't think it's the fuel itself,the car starts and runs fine,and all the gauges work except the fuel gauge.When the car is started the fuel gauge will go all the way up and then down on empty.All the other gauges work fine.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 08:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

To test the gauges, there's a trick that if you hold the TRIP button in while turning the key to ON, the numbers and dials go through a test. After the test starts, release the TRIP button and watch the numbers and dials.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 09:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

I don't think it's the fuel itself,the car starts and runs fine,and all the gauges work except the fuel gauge.When the car is started the fuel gauge will go all the way up and then down on empty.All the other gauges work fine.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 09:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: CRUISER FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM

Even though your CEL may not be on,have you pulled your OBD,and checked for any codes?.......Other than that,it could also be a fault with the sensor in the fuel tank;It's integrated into the fuel pump module,and even though the pump may be OK,that portion may have gone bad.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 09:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
To test the gauges, there's a trick that if you hold the TRIP button in while turning the key to ON, the numbers and dials go through a test. After the test starts, release the TRIP button and watch the numbers and dials.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but i may be experiencing a fuel gauge problem too. do you think this will work on the 2nd gens? and what am i looking for when this test occurs?
Old 05 Jan 2014, 09:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

see what mine is doing, is saying that i'm at 3/4's or even at 1/2 a tank then when i go to fill up the the pump clicks and i've barely poured in a drop. at first i though it was cuz of the gas station i was at, but this has happened at several different gas stations with premium and regular gas.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 09:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: CRUISER FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanG View Post
see what mine is doing, is saying that i'm at 3/4's or even at 1/2 a tank then when i go to fill up the the pump clicks and i've barely poured in a drop. at first i though it was cuz of the gas station i was at, but this has happened at several different gas stations with premium and regular gas.
Sometimes pumps auto shut-offs are overly sensitive to comply with EPA regulations;Have you tried only squeezing the handle only part/or halfway?
Otherwise,the problem sometimes is the result of a clogged or faulty vent tube for the fuel tank EVAP system;They can get obstructed or kinked and make filling the tank very difficult.

Last edited by randyincctx; 05 Jan 2014 at 09:57 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 10:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Sometimes pumps auto shut-offs are overly sensitive to comply with EPA regulations;Have you tried only squeezing the handle only part/or halfway?
Otherwise,the problem sometimes is the result of a clogged or faulty vent tube for the fuel tank EVAP system;They can get obstructed or kinked and make filling the tank very difficult.
that's interesting, but yes i have tried it halfway. so how would i fix a clogged or faulty vent tube?