PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Window Switch Revisited

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2013, 11:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lightbulb Power Window Switch Revisited

Now that I have fixed the loose spades and gotten the master window switch working for the 2005 Dream Cruiser convertible....

I am thinking that I would like to at least have a spare switch on hand.
If and when I do have to remove the center dash bezel (like to re-clearcoat the passenger side air bag...or replace the instrument cluster bulbs)......that switch will have to come out again.
That may be the last straw, considering it has already come apart once.

When I look on eBay.....I see that there are many switches listed, in two basic designs.
There are many, many master window switches with the center lock-out switch for the back windows for the hatch backs. Most of these also do NOT HAVE LIGHTED switch toggles.
They are mostly between $35-$50...no problem.

** But, there are very few of the design on my 2005 convertible, that is without any lock-out switch.
***And they are all in the $150+ range, to boot!

Here is an example....

01 05 PT Cruiser Console Mounted Dark Gray Master Power Window Switch New | eBay

I wish that we had a Chrysler electrical engineer on this site, as....
My question would be about the switch design, connectors, and the capability of incoming wires that come to the switch connector.
My questions would be:

1. Does the standard PT Cruiser wire harness coming to the switch have the capability to power lighted switches?

2. Is there a way to disconnect the spades on the back of the switch that are used for the rear window lock-out switch....which I do not need?

3. Would there be a problem with the ECM in using a different type switch?

Most of the switches of both types that I mentioned on eBay are all listed as compatible through all the PT Cruiser years.
My guess is, the sellers don't know enough about the switches to know how and when!
Most do not even list the part number....let alone the few who have a photo of the part label.

I really don't want to pay $150+ for a back-up switch.
But, I am willing to experiment if that will not damage the electrical system

What do you geeks think?
Pappasmurf, Randy??

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 27 Dec 2013 at 11:37 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 11:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Power Window Switch Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
1. Does the standard PT Cruiser wire harness coming to the switch have the capability to power lighted switches?

2. Is there a way to disconnect the spades on the back of the switch that are used for the rear window lock-out switch....which I do not need?

3. Would there be a problem with the ECM in using a different type switch?
#1)From what I haved learned,the wiring harnesses are the same for Gen-1 PT Cruisers(not sure about Gen-2s);They all appear to have the neccessary wires for lighting the switches(Front & Rear),they just eliminated the bulbs located on the circuit board.
#2)I don't believe you need to worry about that,they'll either 'Lockout',or they won't.....If they do;I don't know what would it hurt,of course I'm not sure of the 'Verts',I think I have read somewhere,that when actuating the lowering of the top,it automatically rolls down the rear windows(I guess so there's not any interference?)....One of our Vert members can confirm this for sure.
#3)Being a Gen-1 PT,it shouldn't effect the PCM at all.......Now on a Gen-2,who knows?!('everything is interconnected',Can-Bus thing)You'd probably have to have the PCM 'flashed' in order to add a different switch!
Old 28 Dec 2013, 12:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Power Window Switch Revisited

Thanks for the insight Randy!
My guess on the lock-out switch was that it simply wouldn't function if there was no locking interface at the rear windows.

But, I had forgotten about the difference in the PCMs in Gen1 vs. Gen2.

I am leaning towards buying a switch with lights...just to see if it will work.
randyincctx likes this.

Old 28 Dec 2013, 12:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Power Window Switch Revisited

My 2004 base did not have the required power wiring to the rear switch unit for the lights.
On a four door, physically unplugging the rear switch will also deactivate the rear switches of the front unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
[B][COLOR="Blue"]#1)From what I haved learned,the wiring harnesses are the same for Gen-1 PT Cruisers(not sure about Gen-2s);They all appear to have the neccessary wires for lighting the switches(Front & Rear),they just eliminated the bulbs located on the circuit board.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 12:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Power Window Switch Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
My 2004 base did not have the required power wiring to the rear switch unit for the lights.
On a four door, physically unplugging the rear switch will also deactivate the rear switches of the front unit.
Thanks.
But, I am only dealing with the driver's master switch on the center dash bezel.
The 2005 Vert doesn't even have any rear switches.
(Although my 2006 did.)

Old 28 Dec 2013, 01:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
The 2005 Vert doesn't even have any rear switches.
And for that reason, the wiring to the front switch unit must be different between the four door and the convertible. On the sedan, the rear window controls at the front are wired through the rear switches.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 02:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Power Window Switch Revisited

Quote:
I am leaning towards buying a switch with lights...just to see if it will work.
Get any window switch,even if it comes without lights,they all have an itty-bitty 'clear' lens on the knobs(Btw;so do the door lock switches!),and then add your own lights,they'll be way better than the stockers would ever be(and you can make them RED if you want!);All you need to do is place the LED behind each one(Easy!),and tap the wiring(Orange=Positive(+) 'Panel Lamp Driver'/Black=Ground(-) Common) on the switch to power the LEDs. Small Bright LEDs, SMD or Chip, Tab LEDs - Hobby LEDs

<Photo courtesy of pappasmurf>

Last edited by randyincctx; 28 Dec 2013 at 09:02 am.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 05:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for using my pic randy.

Sooner,
If you want, buy ANY window switch as randy stated and send it to me. I will light it up with either red or white leds and send it back to you. However, pop the black switch covers off and see if your switches are blue or clear, if they are blue then the red doesn't show up too good.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 09:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Power Window Switch Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasmurf View Post
That's one of the best around!....I was late/early,so I forgot to do my usual 'credit-where-credit-is-due' thingy.(that's corrected now!)
Quote:
However, pop the black switch covers off and see if your switches are blue or clear, if they are blue then the red doesn't show up too good.
For what I'm considering doing,I've actually been looking at the possibility of notching/or grinding down the top of the switch inserts,and placing blue(it's my thing!lol) 12V'Pico-Chip' LEDs right on top,inside of the buttons themselves;I think it's do-able,those 'Picos' are really teeny-tiny,but put off plenty of light.(only not available in 'Warm-White').
Also....I've done my 'homework',studying wiring/connector diagrams & system schematics,am I correct in stating that,the 'Orange' wire is the common 'Panel Lamp Driver' that shows up on ALL lighted(and unlighted) switch connectors,and the 'Black' is the common ground......So,tapping those should slave them to the interior lighting & rheostat?....Yes/No?
Again;Here's the link to the 'Pico-Chip' LEDs,I'm referring to:
Small Bright LEDs, SMD or Chip, Tab LEDs - Hobby LEDs
Old 28 Dec 2013, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Power Window Switch Revisited

Quote:

Sooner,
If you want, buy ANY window switch as randy stated and send it to me. I will light it up with either red or white leds and send it back to you. However, pop the black switch covers off and see if your switches are blue or clear, if they are blue then the red doesn't show up too good.
Wow!
That would be awesome!, Papa!
I would certainly reward you for the effort!!!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 28 Dec 2013 at 04:55 pm.