Advertisements
Compatible parts?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2013, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Compatible parts?

Looking into getting another PT for parts. Just for this or thats. I have an 05 PT GT. But will engine parts fit mine from an 02? Not a swap. Just parts. Just a question. Cosmetics are the same. But as far as the engine parts?

I found an 02 for 500 and think its worth it IF interchangeable parts. Starter, fan, radiator, ect

Thanks! This seems to be the go to place for info even on good ol Google!
Old 28 Dec 2013, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Compatible parts?

So, you want to use parts off an 02 Non-Turbo for your 05 PTGT? As you said, cosmetically YES but quite a few changes even from a Non-Turbo 02 to a Non-Turbo 05 let alone N/A to GT. Maybe a few small parts but then you'd be better off with new. Your asking for opinions, I say it's not worth it.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For a while now, I've been robbing parts off of 2004 turbo lite to put on my 2001 Limited.

Body and interior parts are mostly interchangeable but the accelerator and brake peddle mechanisms are different. It's not just the silver covers. I don't know why, but they are. Other interior parts are often different based on year and PT version but usually compatible.

Turbo front bumper cover is different to accommodate the cooler. Drive train electronics including the speedometer are different. Engine and tranny are very different. There was also a change in the engine block itself between 02 and 03. Rear axle appears the same.

If you mostly need body and interior parts, a $500 non-turbo parts car might do you some good. But for mechanical parts, ain't much gonn'a work.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 11:09 am
Senior Cruiser

The intake system, most sensors, radiator and fan, brake parts, trans, front axles, PCM and wiring harness, hoses, and a whole big list of other parts are completely different. There are some pieces that could maybe be used. But if you don't see $500 worth of parts that you can immediately use, it's not worth the space it's going to take up or the gamble. I'd say pass on it.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So would a 03 or newer work? Is the engine itself different in a non turbo and a turbo? I thought it was just the non turbo engine with a turbo put on!
Old 29 Dec 2013, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerfresh View Post
So would a 03 or newer work? Is the engine itself different in a non turbo and a turbo? I thought it was just the non turbo engine with a turbo put on!
No, there are some differences. oilers for the pistons, lower compression on the turbo. And I think the valves may be different on the turbo head. Not to mention the exterior differences. Such as the valve cover , intake, alternator and even the power steering.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com