Advertisements
Manual shifter bushings?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jassy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2013, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Manual shifter bushings?

Hi everybody and Happy Holidays!! I've been checking out all the posts on the booger bushings. So guys, replacing the bushings is just as good or better than buying new cable's?? and the booger racing bushings is the place to go?? Also is there any special advice and or tool's I should have handy before I start?. Is there a good site or post somewhere that might give me complete or almost a good description on how to remove and replace the bushings?? I'm sure they must be all the same but just in case I have a 2004 with a 5 speed. Thanks in advance.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 07:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Manual shifter bushings?

Jrunner,
I replaced my shifter bushings after noticing that the shifter wouldn't stay "where it should." It would shift into gear just fine but then go back like it was in neutral (but still be in the gear I was in). After taking it to the stealership for an oil change (I got lazy) they did a complimentary inspection and told me my shifter bushings were bad and that AFTER 657 dollars, all would be good as new. I went on here and did the research, just as you have, and read FOR HOURS about the boogers bushings. I pulled the trigger and after 22bucks all is good again. The stealership won't replace just your bushings, they want to replace the whole shifting cables.

Get em and have a pair of channel locks handy just to getthem snug. When your done you can thank me and all the one's like me that have done this mod.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 08:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Manual shifter bushings?

Boogers are awesome!!!!!!

The under hood ones are really easy and typically the ones that are bad/missing. If you still have the stock air box, remove that and the bushings are just under it. Carefully pop out the old ones, you don't want to break the plastic part that holds the bushing. Then push the new ones in place and then slide them over the stud on the trans linkage.

The two on the shifter are easy to replace, just a PITA to get to. You have to get the center console out of the way so you can get to the linkage. I pulled the front seat out, only 4 bolts hold it to the floor. Then undid the screws/bolts holding the console and lifted it as far as I could. Some people were able to pull the parking brake up high enough to complete remove the console, I was not. So I just worked wit the space I had.

The difference in how the shifter feels is amazing, even several years later! One of the best things I have done to the car in all the years I have owned it.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 30 Dec 2013, 08:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
One of the best things I have done to the car in all the years I have owned it.
On the years of Neons.org- Boogers were always at top of every 'best mods' list.
You'll have that little bit of Ferrari feel.
Old 01 Jan 2014, 08:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the info, never heard of Booger Bushing here in the UK. I have been in touch with Jeff at Booger and have bought a set.

Really great service, he even emailed me to apologise that the local Post Office was closed early for New Year and that he would send the bushings off Thursday.

Better still he did not stiff me for the postage, total including postage to UK was $27.

Tony
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 01 Jan 2014, 05:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Jeff is a good guy- He actually lives just East of here across the border, so I see him at Neon meets. He spent massive time helping out the Neon community, and you know that's gotta be frustrating!
Old 03 Feb 2014, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was swapping my plugs and cleaning the battery and air cleaner etc. and looked down to see a bushing completely gone. Thanks for the info! I ordered some booger bushings.
Old 03 Feb 2014, 07:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Manual shifter bushings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbass View Post
I was swapping my plugs and cleaning the battery and air cleaner etc. and looked down to see a bushing completely gone. Thanks for the info! I ordered some booger bushings.
.....If the install gives you any problems,there's plenty of info on here to help you out.
Old 07 Aug 2015, 12:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Can u post a picture of boogs bushings?