Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
best mod to improve gas mileage?

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2013, 03:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default best mod to improve gas mileage?

We all wish are pt's got better than 20 mpg.. there has to be a remedy out there. So I'm wondering, what is the best mod or combination of mods, whether they be bolt on, plug and play, or whatever, will produce the biggest increase in mpg? Its all in the name of saving dollars so if theres an inexpensive but efficient solution too, I'd love to hear about it, even if it doesn't create the most drastic increase in mpg as possible. Feedback from cruisers who have tested the waters is much appreciated!
Old 30 Dec 2013, 04:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: best mod to improve gas mileage?

make sure tires are inflated properly and take the lead out of your right foot. Atleast thats what I hear. I'm not gonna try the light foot mod. Doesn't sound like fun to me
madmatt likes this.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 30 Dec 2013, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
make sure tires are inflated properly and take the lead out of your right foot. Atleast thats what I hear. I'm not gonna try the light foot mod. Doesn't sound like fun to me
I have recorded all gas I've put into my PTs and OVERALL I am just a hair over 25 MPG.
The air in the tires is vital - I put 2-3 PSI more than the driver door sticker.
You can see my mods in my signature - clearly, they don't hurt mileage.
Rapid acceleration eats gas - you can go fast, just take a bit longer to get to speed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Dec 2013, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The best and most effective way to improve fuel mileage on a PT Cruiser is as follows:

1. Buy any PT Cruiser. The year or versions does not matter.
2. Next, purchase a Toyota Corolla in excellent running condition as a donor car. I prefer buying one that is the same year model as my PT. But it's not always necessary.
3. Then replace every and all PT Cruiser parts with the corresponding Corolla part. If their is no corresponding Corolla part, offer that extra PT part for sale or just pass it one to some other PT owner on this forum. You will not need it. However, be sure to use all Corolla parts.
4. Lastly, drive your PT Cruiser now made up entirely of Toyota Corolla parts. If driven reasonably, you should get around 30 mpg.

And if that is too radical for you, here's how I substantially increased the fuel mileage of a 2.4L in a Sebring Convertible. I have yet to complete all this on my PT.

1. Install custom K&N style intake with the longest tube possible, at least 24 inches.
2. Block EGR. I was able to just plug the tube on the Sebring without throwing a trouble code. I have not tried this yet on the PT.
3. Remove the cat converter. You will need a drop-pipe with a fitting for the O2 sensor.
4. Install one size larger tires with highway tread and inflate to about 35 psi. This will slightly skew your odometer so you will have to calculate fuel mileage on actual distance. A GPS app on a smart phone works great.

This is not as good as the Corolla parts replacement method, best it's likely the next best thing.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Dec 2013 at 09:37 am.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 01:48 pm
Banned

And they tell me my responses are worthless

QUOTE=Handy_Cruiser;504720]The best and most effective way to improve fuel mileage on a PT Cruiser is as follows:

1. Buy any PT Cruiser. The year or versions does not matter.
2. Next, purchase a Toyota Corolla in excellent running condition as a donor car. I prefer buying one that is the same year model as my PT. But it's not always necessary.
3. Then replace every and all PT Cruiser parts with the corresponding Corolla part. If their is no corresponding Corolla part, offer that extra PT part for sale or just pass it one to some other PT owner on this forum. You will not need it. However, be sure to use all Corolla parts.
4. Lastly, drive your PT Cruiser now made up entirely of Toyota Corolla parts. If driven reasonably, you should get around 30 mpg.

And if that is too radical for you, here's how I substantially increased the fuel mileage of a 2.4L in a Sebring Convertible. I have yet to complete all this on my PT.

1. Install custom K&N style intake with the longest tube possible, at least 24 inches.
2. Block EGR. I was able to just plug the tube on the Sebring without throwing a trouble code. I have not tried this yet on the PT.
3. Remove the cat converter. You will need a drop-pipe with a fitting for the O2 sensor.
4. Install one size larger tires with highway tread and inflate to about 35 psi. This will slightly skew your odometer so you will have to calculate fuel mileage on actual distance. A GPS app on a smart phone works great.

This is not as good as the Corolla parts replacement method, best it's likely the next best thing. [/QUOTE]
Old 30 Dec 2013, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
And they tell me my responses are worthless
Most are but you are getting better. At least Handy put lots of smileys on his so you know it's all in jest.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Most are but you are getting better. At least Handy put lots of smileys on his so you know it's all in jest.

BUSA.......CREWZIN is correct if it were not for the "smileys" I'd have been all over that response.

Ya Todd....

Old 30 Dec 2013, 03:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

#1 mod would be replacing automatic with a manual.

Mine got 23 MPG, and that was it.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you do the math this is about the best way to increase MPG at the least cost and ease of installation. If you did nothing more then to what your instant MPG and adjust and re train your driving habits you will increase you MPG. Its 60 dollars for improved MPG forever!

Ultra gauge
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
randyincctx likes this.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 04:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: best mod to improve gas mileage?

The TORNADO- The Tornado's unique airflow dynamics creates a swirling fast-burn effect in the combustion chamber. This creates finer particles (atomized fuel), allowing better flame propagation and more complete combustion
TORNADO causes better fuel atomization, resulting in gas mileage increases 1 to 2 MPG. This figures are confirmed by road testing performed at an emission lab licensed by EPA. The TORNADO requires no maintenance and is an affordable addition to most passenger cars, light trucks and RV's on the road.

HKS Magnetic Fuel Saver- HKS Magnetic Fuel Saver helps you to get better gas mileage when it penetrates the fuel line, causing clusters of hydrocarbon molecules to separate.
Now that more fuel is better exposed to oxygen needed for combustion, fuel burns better more completely and cleanly,increases of 1/2 to 1 MPG have been reported.In addition, built up engine deposits of carbon and varnish are eliminated so engine can run more smoothly.

Helix Power Tower Plus- Produces an increase of up to 8 hp / 10 ft lb of Torque & 1-3 miles per gallon.
Variable Venturi Aperture provides turbulence to mix the air/fuel charge for a more complete burn efficiency.
Computer designed chambers and channels specially designed to improve efficiency and air velocity performance.
Increased air-flow creates better engine cylinder filling, can be used with any grade of fuel for more power and economy.

Using all 3 products in conjunction should theoretically yield a maximum increase of up to 6 MPG.

By the way;I think it's only fair to say.....I also have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona!...LMBO

Tags
economy, fuelly, mpg