PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help quick

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2013, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help quick

New here and need some help. Our 2002 PT Cruiser, while running fine, has been losing oil and coolant for the last few months. Now that my daughter has gone through a bad divorce, she has decided to continue college for a masters degree in psychology. My wife and I are giving her the Cruiser since she loves it just as much as we do. Can't afford a new car and you don't know what your getting on used car lots today. I told her we will pull the engine and replace the gaskets and seals, put new cv axles, water pump, timing and other belts, new shocks, body bushings, radiator fan (lost high speed mode), all engine mounts, clutch, brakes, rotors, headlights, and other smaller items to basically give her a new(ish) car. My daughter tore into the engine before I was really ready and was piling parts up in the bed of my truck. Now I am having to figure out where they go and ran into a problem. I have two brackets I just can't find on the internet to show where they fit. One has part number 04668549AC 1331 and the other is 4891407AC sup#30674. My mid January timeline has been changed to this weekend. I plan to assemble the engine, leaving the A/C compressor off, lift the front of the car, roll the engine on my motorcycle dolly again to place it under the car, lower the front and then raise the engine into position. Bolt it up, attach A/C compressor, plumbing, wire harness and drive line. We have everything removed from the front of the PT Cruiser that can be removed and wiggle room is available. Anyway,, if anyone can show me where those two brackets go, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks...
Old 30 Dec 2013, 11:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help quick

Photos would be really helpful.

I believe 4891407AC goes on the back of the intake where it connects to the throttle body.

I replaced mine a couple of months ago:

Here it is bolted in place on the engine:

And 04668549AC seems to be a manual transmission to engine strut. And I think it's #10 in this photo:

PS: A daughter that is able and willing to disassemble an engine is a rare and precious blessing. I pray she comes through this well.
WolfmanG likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Dec 2013 at 12:18 am.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 11:42 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Need help quick

I dunno about your problem but I've never heard of anyone going through a good divorce.

Good luck
Old 31 Dec 2013, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh yea, one bracket down! The aluminum one bolting to the head. Thanks...
I will get a picture of the second one as it doesn't match the drawing. Now a "good divorce" is where her alcoholic husband had been cheating on her since one month after they were married. He even father a child at that time which has been proven by DNA testing. He was usually so drunk he even chewed out his First Sergeant, Yes he was in the Army, for calling him on one of his days off. Many other documented incidents happened and came to a head one night when he grabbed my daughter by the back of her neck and started beating her face into the floor. She finally snapped, got free, and beat the snot out of him. Actually broke his nose too! When the police arrived, they arrested her due to the amount of blood they saw. It was all his! The police report states there was a domestic dispute and the apartment looked like a murder scene. Her bruising showed up the next day while she was in custody and you can see the finger marks on her neck from his squeezing so hard. At the time he was stationed in Hawaii and they were living off post. Once this took place he was ordered to live on post and pay her rent to live until she could get back to the Conus. He never gave her a cent, she had to live with a good friend of hers, he was allowed to go to the apartment with police supervision to gather a few items when much of her personal items were either broken or disappeared. Well to make this shorter, he wouldn't sign the divorce papers for over 7 months, won't reimburse her for living expenses while she was stuck in Hawaii, has to pay alimony but living in a different state that hasn't happened, but the divorce is final! I am not one to harbor ill will towards anyone, but if I run across him
Anyway, I'm going outside to fit that bracket and snap a picture of the second one. Thanks.

Also, it makes me quite happy to see a site about these great cars, see it still active, and that people enjoy them to this day. I sure wish U.S. industry would put more thought into this "retro" style and size of car for the American people. Tired of seeing what I call cookie cutter vehicles which all look the same.

I might have to stay a while since Vicky, our daughter, is coming up with some custom interior ideas. And you know who gets to put those ideas to work! Doesn't matter I have a '53 Ford F-100 torn apart needing attention, a 1980 Chevy LUV truck with main bearings that sound like a drum line when running, and my Russian Ural with a shot wire harness!
Old 31 Dec 2013, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Contact his commanding officer. Might get a move on the money thing. Can't hurt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Dec 2013, 11:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

He has since been discharged for extreme arthritis in his right foot, which he broke when he kicked his beagle in the head. Brought to the emergency room for x-rays and my daughter told the doctors what really happened since he said he slipped. Now Tobe, the beagle, is on anti seizure medication for brain trauma. Tobe is a 30 pound lap dog, nothing more, nothing mean!

Anyway, that aluminum bracket fits. I have attached a photo of the second, steel, bracket. Thanks for making me get back to work in my unheated garage!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Last PT Bracket.jpg (85.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 31 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I know I've seen that mounting bracket before.....Trying to remember is hard when you suffer from CRS.

Last edited by randyincctx; 31 Dec 2013 at 01:56 pm.
Old 01 Jan 2014, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just get out there and start taking parts off yours. When you find it, let me know with a picture. How simple is that?
The more we work on our PT the more I want to keep it. Yesterday we replaced every bushing on the rear axle assembly, replaced the watts links, and cleaned the entire rear underside while we were there. Today I plan to replace all of the front bushings and order the ball joints. My wife and I can't wait to drive her around once she is back together. We still remember the day when we first drove one and fell in love with the PT Cruiser design. I for one will be buying another PT if Chrysler decides to produce them again. Albeit with improvements and not anything that makes it cheaper! Karen, my wife, did say she might agree with me if we were to get a good used one later and rebuild it like we are doing this one with a far longer time limit. So far, we have spent about $1200 and our time. Our time is nothing compared to the "family" time we are spending working on her. Imagine me, my wife, and our daughter, all working on the same car, getting in each others way, giving each other a hard time, etc., etc., etc.
Old 01 Jan 2014, 10:56 am
Banned

As Judge Judy says: She picked him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickus View Post
Oh yea, one bracket down! The aluminum one bolting to the head. Thanks...
I will get a picture of the second one as it doesn't match the drawing. Now a "good divorce" is where her alcoholic husband had been cheating on her since one month after they were married. He even father a child at that time which has been proven by DNA testing. He was usually so drunk he even chewed out his First Sergeant, Yes he was in the Army, for calling him on one of his days off. Many other documented incidents happened and came to a head one night when he grabbed my daughter by the back of her neck and started beating her face into the floor. She finally snapped, got free, and beat the snot out of him. Actually broke his nose too! When the police arrived, they arrested her due to the amount of blood they saw. It was all his! The police report states there was a domestic dispute and the apartment looked like a murder scene. Her bruising showed up the next day while she was in custody and you can see the finger marks on her neck from his squeezing so hard. At the time he was stationed in Hawaii and they were living off post. Once this took place he was ordered to live on post and pay her rent to live until she could get back to the Conus. He never gave her a cent, she had to live with a good friend of hers, he was allowed to go to the apartment with police supervision to gather a few items when much of her personal items were either broken or disappeared. Well to make this shorter, he wouldn't sign the divorce papers for over 7 months, won't reimburse her for living expenses while she was stuck in Hawaii, has to pay alimony but living in a different state that hasn't happened, but the divorce is final! I am not one to harbor ill will towards anyone, but if I run across him
Anyway, I'm going outside to fit that bracket and snap a picture of the second one. Thanks.

Also, it makes me quite happy to see a site about these great cars, see it still active, and that people enjoy them to this day. I sure wish U.S. industry would put more thought into this "retro" style and size of car for the American people. Tired of seeing what I call cookie cutter vehicles which all look the same.

I might have to stay a while since Vicky, our daughter, is coming up with some custom interior ideas. And you know who gets to put those ideas to work! Doesn't matter I have a '53 Ford F-100 torn apart needing attention, a 1980 Chevy LUV truck with main bearings that sound like a drum line when running, and my Russian Ural with a shot wire harness!
Old 02 Jan 2014, 10:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

She did pick him! I told her something wasn't right with him from day one. He has all of his teeth which around here is RARE!
Update on my Cruiser: Yesterday I finished installing every suspension bushing, both tie rod ends, straightened the lower radiator mount (the wife ran over a huge dead dog one night), pressed out the lower ball joints, cleaned the engine bay, and checked everything else I could check. Now just waiting for the correct timing belt tensioner, brake pads and shoes, front rotors, and valve set to arrive. These holidays, while much loved, sure slows snail mail even more. Going to take my daughter to the doctor today and will stop by a car lot with two PT Cruisers and look for that bracket placement.
Busted_PT likes this.