PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT wouldn't start, lost all power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2014, 12:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2002 PT wouldn't start, lost all power

Hi All,
My wife's 2002 PT Limited Edition was running fine just yesterday, but today when she tried starting it after sitting all night and day, all that happened was a loud click (not too loud though, kinda normal first thing you hear when starting) and suddenly, all power was gone. Prior to that, power locks, cabin light, etc worked normally, but as soon as the key was turned, it went completely dead. I am at a loss as to what this can be, it doesn't feel like a normal dead battery, besides, the battery in this car is only a month old.
Another detail, not sure how important, is this car just had its radiator fan and head gasket replaced as a result of overheating (due to the fan going bad). Again, it was running just fine for a few days after those repairs, and then this... great car, but I am beginning to feel it might be cursed Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 05 Jan 2014, 12:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT wouldn't start, lost all power

check both battery cables on both ends. sounds like a bad connection.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 07:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.
Agree with snapper. Check all the ends of every cable (negative and positive) for corrosion. Also, if you have a decent auto store, they will check the battery and charging system for free. Even some new batteries can be defective with a bad cell.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wouldn't rule out the ignition cylinder.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Jan 2014, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, you were spot on - apparently whoever worked on it last didn't tighten the negative terminal. The car is back running and my trust in it is restored! Really appreciate all the help!
Old 05 Jan 2014, 05:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2002 PT wouldn't start, lost all power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_N View Post
Thanks guys, you were spot on - apparently whoever worked on it last didn't tighten the negative terminal. The car is back running and my trust in it is restored! Really appreciate all the help!
And a shop would have charged almost $100,and that's if you didn't need a tow!....Glad you got it corrected.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
And a shop would have charged almost $100,and that's if you didn't need a tow!....Glad you got it corrected.
Amen to that! (Although I've been using mobile mechanics from CraigsList ever since the shop wanted 2k for that gasket Come to think of it, that's probably why the terminal wasn't tightened lol )