Advertisements
2002 LE AUTOMATIC PTC. BATTERUBPROBLEM

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2014, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 LE AUTOMATIC PTC. BATTERUBPROBLEM

Hi Guys and Ladies,

I have noted the thread of Mike. .N on his wife's PTC losing power...

I have a similiar problem for months now.... if I don't drive the var for a full day and night the mext morning the battery would be flat..... prior I experienced the same pronlem and the battery center offered that I should replace the battery which I did in March 2013.

I mever got rid of that problem and its realy annoying nowadays, the past three weeks I had to jump start the car five times.

I tested the battery and it was fine according to my auto shop.... he was suprise that thencar tookmsonmuch power when starting it becausebeachbtime it is started it dies like the battery is flat and then it goes to full power.

Is there any suggestions

stan
Old 07 Jan 2014, 04:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 LE AUTOMATIC PTC. BATTERUBPROBLEM

Perhaps something like the solar-power battery maintenance panels mentioned below.
The panel wire connector plugs into the upper dash power outlet (below radio). The panels also come with alternative spring-clamps for direct battery connection. Instructions warn to disconnect before starting and driving.
sanatanadharma when you are no longer posting in stealth mode and make the availability for PMs then welcome , join and participate on this forum as a supporting member. Until then your responses in most threads will be temporarily removed.
Old 07 Jan 2014, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Jan 2014, 07:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 2002 LE AUTOMATIC PTC. BATTERUBPROBLEM

It sounds like you have something drawing power......Does your PT Cruiser have factory fog lights installed?(could be a bad MFS),if so try pulling the fuse to them;Another thing you can try is pulling the IOD fuse from inside the PDC,and see if that does anything to stop it.
You obviously have an 'electrical ghost' drawing down the battery,other than the radio/clock memory.
Old 08 Jan 2014, 08:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Randyincctx,

I am at work now but will try your options in a few. hours when back at home.... I definately have some original fog lamps but ever since I bought this beautiful car in December 2012 these lights were not working.

I will try your suggestions this afternoon and let you know
Old 08 Jan 2014, 09:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 2002 LE AUTOMATIC PTC. BATTERUBPROBLEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
I definately have some original fog lamps but ever since I bought this beautiful car in December 2012 these lights were not working.
May have just found the source of your 'parasitic' battery draw problem......If I were in Las Vegas,I'd put money on the MFS being bad(somewhat common),and if you replace(or repair) the MFS,your fog lights will work,and the battery problem will be fixed also.
Here are some helpful links:

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)
MF switched repair
The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

Also,a video of how to remove & replace an MFS:
Old 08 Jan 2014, 10:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
I tested the battery and it was fine according to my auto shop.... each time it is started it dies like the battery is flat and then it goes to full power.
This comment makes me wonder if the problem is something other than a parasitic draw. The fogs not working is possible clue, though. The previous owner may have removed the fog light fuse instead of fixing the MF switch. I suggest that the negative battery cable be disconnected and jumping the gap with a meter to see if there actually is a drain when the car is off. Maybe even checking for any stored trouble codes???
Old 10 Jan 2014, 06:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you 2Step, I will definately try to disconnect the negative and test the gab, I think Randy might be taken up on the switch replacement suggestion, don't think i'm technically astude enough to try a repair on the mfs.

would ebay the better option to try and get a mfs?
Old 10 Jan 2014, 08:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 2002 LE AUTOMATIC PTC. BATTERUBPROBLEM

Quote:
would ebay the better option to try and get a mfs?
If going with a new one,you might try Rockauto.com(Intl. Shipping),or since your down in S. Africa. Ebay might be your best bet........Be sure to get the appropriate one with 'fogs',or you may end up with one without.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Randyincctx..

I have not tried out the suggestions by 2Step but I just tapped my mfs slightly and there it was the. symbol indicating that my fog lights are on were showing on board. ... of cause the fog lights were not working.... I have seen this when I bought the car... therefor I think 2Step were right the previous owner did not repair the mfs but only took out the fuse as it is empty.

I missed this because the fog light on light dissapeared and I just discovered when I tapped the mfs. ..

Strange though is that the light is illuminating when ALL the lights and engine is switched OFF and as soon as I tirn on the. headlights then the foglight symbol dissapears when I switch all lights off again it lights up irrespective whether the engine runs or not.

It will take a couple of weeks but will order the mfs and try fitting it myself since the video link you added seems so practical.

For now I will try pulling the IOD fuse.... do't think it stops the power parasite but hope it can be bit more friendlier