• 2 Post By wwpptc
  • 1 Post By hotblkpt
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 3 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2014, 01:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Overflow bottle relocation....

Has anyone attempted to do this? I'm looking for a alternative to putting it back in the same place and letting the turbo cook it again.... Given the limited space it doesn't look promising. Maybe a better heat shield...hmmmm?
Old 08 Jan 2014, 02:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overflow bottle relocation....

Replace it with a universal aluminum unit. Thermal wrap it.

Not sure why you are having a problem with your reservoir ? Lots of turbo pt without this issue? Including mine. I would like to hear from any member with direct experience to this possible concern.
mityqwik likes this.
Old 08 Jan 2014, 10:53 am
Senior Cruiser

I moved my recovery tank from the firewall up next to the radiator. But I could do this because I had room to do it because of other mods that made more space available. My small race battery allowed me to design an intercooler to throttlebody hard pipe that was nearly a straight shot instead of a nest of snakes like the usual one. I bought a tank off ebay that was for a different application but fit the space nicely. And lastly, I changed the radiator filler neck which has the hose fitting on the back side to a non-turbo filler neck which has the hose fitting on the front side.

You can just make out how I ran the new hose along the top of the radiator and then the second "dump" hose hanging straight down to the lower engine compartment.

I have seen recovery tanks made for the hot rod crowd that are 3" round aluminum cylinders about 18" long. Perhaps one of those could be installed on one side or the other of the radiator if there's room. (I can't say. It's been years since I've seen a stock set up.)
hotblkpt likes this.
Old 08 Jan 2014, 04:46 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblkpt View Post
Has anyone attempted to do this? I'm looking for a alternative to putting it back in the same place and letting the turbo cook it again.... Given the limited space it doesn't look promising. Maybe a better heat shield...hmmmm?

I've only heard of one or two other turbo owners having the same overflow bottle problems you are apparently having. Was your insulation still in place? If it was, then I would replace it by wrapping the bottle with either a single or double layer of an aftermarket heatshield material and put it back in the oem location. It is a logical and convenient spot.

When I replaced my oem NA intake manifold with the composite turbo manifold, the stock NA bottle no longer fit. I used the turbo bottle but I had to custom fabricate a mounting plate to make it function as needed. Because of the proximity to the heat from my Hedman 4-2-1 header I wrapped the bottle in "HUSH-MAT". It protects from heat and is also a noise suppressor. I was only concerned about heat protection. There are numerous other brands of heat mat out there and they all work fine. The HUSH-MAT easily conformed to all the numerous contours of the bottle. Worked great!

How did the 3-D decals work out?

Jerry

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Jerry
mityqwik and WolfmanG like this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 08 Jan 2014 at 04:53 pm.
Old 09 Jan 2014, 01:58 am
Regular Cruiser

All the insulation was still in place Jerry....I will look into heat wrap for the new one.. Love the decals, waiting for new paint to install them..thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I've only heard of one or two other turbo owners having the same overflow bottle problems you are apparently having. Was your insulation still in place? If it was, then I would replace it by wrapping the bottle with either a single or double layer of an aftermarket heatshield material and put it back in the oem location. It is a logical and convenient spot.

When I replaced my oem NA intake manifold with the composite turbo manifold, the stock NA bottle no longer fit. I used the turbo bottle but I had to custom fabricate a mounting plate to make it function as needed. Because of the proximity to the heat from my Hedman 4-2-1 header I wrapped the bottle in "HUSH-MAT". It protects from heat and is also a noise suppressor. I was only concerned about heat protection. There are numerous other brands of heat mat out there and they all work fine. The HUSH-MAT easily conformed to all the numerous contours of the bottle. Worked great!

How did the 3-D decals work out?

Jerry

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Jerry
Old 26 Jan 2014, 12:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Got a new bottle today...wrapped it with insulation and all is well for now.... Thanks Jerry for that tip!!!!
wwpptc likes this.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good tip there Jerry. Hadn't thought of those products. Simply because I have never been around them.
wwpptc likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Jan 2014, 06:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblkpt View Post
Got a new bottle today...wrapped it with insulation and all is well for now.... Thanks Jerry for that tip!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Good tip there Jerry. Hadn't thought of those products. Simply because I have never been around them.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Like I said, I was worried about the heat coming off of the Hedman. It's worked perfect for MANY years now.

---HEDMAN 4-2-1
[IMG][/IMG]

---HEDMAN 4-2-1
[IMG][/IMG]

Jerry
Old 26 Jan 2014, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jerry great pictures and fab work.
You and I were simply living at the wrong time and wrong place....in another time and place.....

Jerry & Lynn's PT Customs ops...made a mistake...... I meant

Lynn & Jerry's PT Customs