PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
EGR Valve on 2007 PT Cruiser

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: EGR Valve on 2007 PT Cruiser

Oh God, he did it wrong. I sent him out to do it again. LOL I think that's the odometer.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We both have tried. We tried it slow and fast. We tried pausing between and not pausing. We tried pushing it until it dings but not so far as it would turn over and we tried turning it just until the instrument panel lights. I don't know any other way we can try it. There are no codes that pop up. What are we doing wrong?
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OMG, that should have been so simple and when I finally got it it was simple. But... it seemed hard while I was trying to make it work. The end result is it says "done"
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay, so no error codes.
I would schedule new plugs and ignition wires - and get new intake gaskets while you're at it (since rough idle is often due to leaking intake gasket).
Even if that doesn't fix it (and it well may) you can then rule out ignition.
I am REALLY curious how "mechanics" determined a valve job was needed - since I don't hear that they did a compression/leakdown test.
I suspect plug was changed because it was easy - to do all plugs intake manifold has to come off.

The plugs and wires are not hard to do:
Spark Plug Guide

And just to confirm - EGR was on '01 and '02 PTs only - '03 on up has no EGR.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 15 Jan 2014 at 05:58 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Since I started this thread we've replaced all plugs, upper gaskets, PCV valve, and the wires look good. If you think I should replace the wires anyway, it will take a few days because the local parts store will have to order them. We live out in the boonies. Also looked through the timing belt case plug and saw the belt was spinning when we tried to crank it and my ex-husband said it looked intact (not broken, teeth ok, etc).

When I turn the key it tries to catch and acts like it's not getting gas.

I don't know if they did a compression test but it's suspicious that if they did, why would they immediately jump to that conclusion on a car that idled rough? The whole thing sounds fishy to me but it's my grandson so I'm not going to rock the boat.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can have wires delivered from online sites - Crane wires are excellent....
The stock wires don't last, so yes, they could be your problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 06:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

The wires are ordered but won't arrive until the middle of next week at the earliest. I'll let you know what happens when we install them.

Thank you so much for helping with this.
Old 06 Feb 2014, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The first wires were the wrong ones so I had to reorder and wait for them. Now we have them but the weather has gotten bitter cold again. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 14 so maybe we can get them in then. Once they are installed should we just try to start it?
Old 06 Feb 2014, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
The first wires were the wrong ones so I had to reorder and wait for them. Now we have them but the weather has gotten bitter cold again. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 14 so maybe we can get them in then. Once they are installed should we just try to start it?
Why not?

Old 06 Feb 2014, 09:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Do we have a smiley for someone biting his tongue?

Jerry