Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

EGR Valve on 2007 PT Cruiser

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2014, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default EGR Valve on 2007 PT Cruiser

My 2007 PT was running rough and then with the recent extreme cold quit running completely. We've poked around online and thought it might be the EGR Valve. (ran rough while idling but fine on the highway, mpg pretty bad just tooling around town). So today, it's a balmy -1 and we opened up the hood to see if we could find where the EGR Valve is and found only a shiny spot where it had been. Could it have fallen off?
Old 08 Jan 2014, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: EGR Valve on 2007 PT Cruiser

This is someone else's picture but this is exactly what we see. Can someone tell me what part goes here...
Old 08 Jan 2014, 03:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

you won't find an egr valve anywhere on your engine. Chrysler only used an egr on the '01-'02 models...
1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Jan 2014, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I wonder what was there in that spot and why someone removed it then.
Old 08 Jan 2014, 04:23 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I wonder what was there in that spot and why someone removed it then.

If we can't SEE the spot we can't tell you for sure if anthing is missing------in other words we need PICS. Not coming back til we get them.

When we guess about things like this without pics to guide us, threads that should be short and sweet turn into multiple page sagas.

Please help us help you, help us help you, help us help you.

Jerry
UptownSport likes this.
Old 08 Jan 2014, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I posted a picture from someone else that shows exactly what I see. It's well below zero outside right now and I can't take a new picture but this one Can someone tell me what part goes here... is what I see.

I just downloaded the service manual for the 2007 PT Cruiser Touring Edition and it show the egr valve in the diagram.
Old 09 Jan 2014, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here is an updated photo of my car.

The picture on the left is from a post on this website from someone else. The picture on the right is of my own car taken this morning. It's pretty frosty out so it isn't as clear as it looks in person but the spot with the red arrow is very clean, no road grime, and the inside of the bolt holes is shiny. Obviously something was removed. I understand that the 2007 PT Cruiser doesn't have an EGR Valve (though the manual I bought shows that it does I believe all you guys over it) and yet, something was obviously removed.

This whole trouble with my car started last Spring when my grandson took it in to his job at a dealership. He did detailing there but the mechanics there said the car needed spark plugs. After that it started idling rough, though it did fine on acceleration and at highway speeds. And then the engine light came on occasionally. My grandson said the mechanics told him that meant it needed a valve job but he could get me by until then by changing the spark plugs periodically.

NONE of this makes any sense to me.

One day this last fall he changed one spark plug. He didn't tell me he was going to do it and I only found out afterwards. I don't know why he changed one, I don't know how he decided which one. Sigh.

Then the CEL started alternately blinking and being steadily lit. That was right around Thanksgiving and I figured after my house guests left I would take it into a garage. Unfortunately it suddenly got bitter cold and stayed that way. I tried to start the car. It wouldn't start. I had AAA out and the guy couldn't get it to go but he said it was probably because it was so cold. It almost turned over, but not quite. He thought perhaps the spark plugs got cold fouled (?). The cold didn't break. My grandson offered to tow it into his work to let it sit in a bay and warm up. Even after a day inside it wouldn't start and my grandson told me the mechanics told him that it needed a valve job. I don't know what they were basing this on. The car was towed back to my house where it now sits in a snow bank. It's still terribly cold but my ex-husband is trying to help me out by looking at it.

The only other weird thing I can add is that right after I bought it in 2010, I took it into a garage to change the oil and they said there was something that wasn't right about the VIN. That same thing has been brought up a few times since then and I have wondered if perhaps the motor is not original to the car.

Any advice anyone can offer, hopeful or not, is appreciated. I know my ignorance is probably irritating to those of you who are really knowledgeable and for that I am sorry.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We are working our way through my car, trying to figure out what could be wrong. Should I post new questions under this thread or start a new one? Thanks.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Since Engine light came on, get the fault codes and post them:
How to retrieve fault codes.
That ought to provide a clue.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It said:

12 1999