PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery fit question.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2014, 10:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery fit question.

I was wondering what other size batteries you guys run in your PT. I have a 2001 with the stock airbox (For now, possibly forever). From my sources the stock size is a 26r (208x173x197). I was thinking of an optima group 35 (230x175x225). I know there is not much room with the stock air intake box. I have no trouble extending wires if need be. I just want something that fits in the stock space. It's always nice to have some extra power on those occasional cold (-4 f) nights, even with the engine block heater.

A link to the optima I was considering is : This one

Planned upgrades- Heated seats, 18-19" rims, chrome grille, drilled/ slotted rotors, clean up the calipers/ paint the wheel wells, 3" cat back exhaust, new spark plug wires, Speakers all around, Either new head unit or an AUX integration.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Battery fit question.

I have been researching this and I believe a 96R or an H5 size battery will fit. I have not tried this but will soon. The 96R and the H5 have more power and better warranties.
RedLimited likes this.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Once the stock air filter is gone. There is lots of room if you mount a different battery tray. The tray bolts to the supporting member by four bolts and it has a fifth bolt that goes to the transmission mount.

Any flat battery tray should work with holes drilled into it in the correct locations. But you may have to turn the tray at an angle for longer batteries.
RedLimited likes this.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a photo of the battery support member without the plastic tray on it. There's lot's of possibilities there.

Old 14 Jan 2014, 08:42 pm
Banned

Around 10 days ago, I posted this on another battery thread. As you can seein the upper left hand corner of the top battery, The OEM tray is still used to do this mod. I'm sure from my own tray modding, that he had to add a tray extension (much easier than starting from scratch) and removing the two short outter restraining walls on the OEM part of the newly modified tray. No need to remove it. Since you're not planning on using two batteries I'm sure you won't have to do that part of his mod.

In other words, using one larger battery should be a piece of cake with just some mild stock OEM tray modding.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 15 Jan 2014 at 12:29 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Keep in mind that the Optima battery is about 1 1/4" taller than the stocker. So you're not just dealing with the slightly larger footprint but also the height clearance. Offhand I'd say it won't fit with the stock bracket/tray.
RedLimited likes this.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Group 86 (Duracell brand/East Penn mfr.)...perfect fit with no mods to tray, clamp, air box or cables. About $82 @Sam's with 3-year free replacement warranty. 690 CCA vs. 540 for the standard 26R...no contest. I dropped one into my '07 in about 5 minutes and it's working great....

Last edited by USNavyVet; 15 Jan 2014 at 10:59 am.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNavyVet View Post
Group 86 (Duracell brand/East Penn mfr.)...perfect fit with no mods to tray, clamp, air box or cables. About $82 @Sam's with 3-year free replacement warranty. 690 CCA vs. 540 for the standard 26R...no contest. I dropped one into my '07 in about 5 minutes and it's working great....
Thanks for your input USNavyVet and Welcome to the Forum.
RedLimited likes this.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you guys all for all of the very helpful and informative responses.
I'm planning on keeping the stock airbox (For a while) so I'll have to do some VERY careful measuring. I did find a very helpful chart in my research. Here
I do know that in my state all that is required is the battery being secured with a device designed to do so. (So if I make it that counts??) I do not need a HUGE battery as I refuse to take up my trunk with my 2000 watt system from my other vehicle. Nothing is high output on the vehicle and I do not find a 46" flatscreen in a car appealing.
I am willing to modify or craft a new tray if it is needed. When it warms up a little bit i might even make some mock-up batteries to see what fits.

Planned upgrades- Heated seats, 18-19" rims, chrome grille, drilled/ slotted rotors, clean up the calipers/ paint the wheel wells, 3" cat back exhaust, new spark plug wires, Speakers all around, Either new head unit or an AUX integration.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 11:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
Keep in mind that the Optima battery is about 1 1/4" taller than the stocker. So you're not just dealing with the slightly larger footprint but also the height clearance. Offhand I'd say it won't fit with the stock bracket/tray.

I completely forgot about this thread, so I didn't come back to it. I noticed a long time ago in the Jegs catalog, that Optima offers several batteries (yellow-tops in particular) that start at 7.25" and also some that range up to 7.75" that can be made to work in our PTs. Our stock batteries are 7.00" tall so there are several choices available through Optima that will work. I checked Optimas site today to verify. The yellow-tops have a lower profile than most of the other Optimas, that's why the yellow-top batteries in the pics I posted fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Jerry
garkeller likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 30 Jan 2014 at 11:35 pm.