where to buy used transmission?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By coyoteduster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2014, 09:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default where to buy used transmission?

i start driving to work at 6:30 this morning and every time i put it in second it grinds. upshift or downshift. no doubt it's from my abuse, just seems like a strange problem to wake up to.

where do i find a cheap 2002 5 speed trans? i mean under $250. if its more than that i'll just drive it.

i dropped it off at a close friends shop right before leaving for florida. told him i needed 2 cheap tires and an oil change. came back to a $406 repair bill because they replaced all 20 wheel studs(i had 1 snapped off from changing a tire like a gorilla on the expressway). it seems like the faint coolant smell from the heater core is getting stronger, not looking forward to changing that. it has a little oil leaking from the valve cover and a little from the pan, not looking forward to fixing that. right in front of the rear wheels it's starting to rust through. the edge of the hood is also getting a little rusty. i can't fix that. if the trans costs too much i may just drive it into the ground. i mean, i like this car but replacing it is probably smarter.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 10:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: where to buy used transmission?

nevermind. i can get a mint 2003 gt 5spd for 3400, a mint 2004 gt vert auto for 3500, or a plethora of mustang GT's for that. i'm just going to stalk CL and see what happens. i'll just see how much i can save by the time this thing finally dies.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

im guessing its a 5 speed??? it sounds liek the syncros are out or maybe the bushings??? dont think its the tranny
isnt all 20 wheel studs a tad over kill andat Oriley they are $1.25 each so 20x$1.25=$25
even with 2 new tires some how the math isnt right
Old 10 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm
Banned

First pull the airbox, etc. and check your bushings. Worn bushings may not be pushing the shift rod quite far enough going into 2nd. Lube the h8ll out of the arms etc. while you've got everything exposed.

Second when was the last time you drained and replaced your tranny fluid? You've got A LOT of miles on your PT and it may be beyond time to do that, especially in this frigid weather. Old worn out fluid and cold temps don't play together well on ANY car.

Jerry
Old 10 Jan 2014, 01:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
im guessing its a 5 speed??? it sounds liek the syncros are out or maybe the bushings??? dont think its the tranny
isnt all 20 wheel studs a tad over kill andat Oriley they are $1.25 each so 20x$1.25=$25
even with 2 new tires some how the math isnt right
yea, it's the 2nd gear synchros. i can actually up and downshift fine without the clutch so i'm having fun with it.

here's the receipt. he said all 20 but looking at the receipt it was 10. in the notes it says 2 lugs broke removing the front and 2 stripped in the back. he has to charge labor to cover the time he pays his mechanic. tires seem a little high, maybe he was a little jealous i was on vacation. he is a close family friend. he gave my mother her minivan for free and services it for free so i can't reeeeally say anything bad. when we did my control arms he didnt ask for any money, same with the wheelbearings. i think his partner is cracking down on generosity. i don't know whats up with the oil cap. personally i think someone stole it from his lot. he had that delivered from the dealer.

this morning i told him to keep an eye out for a stick PT GT or an 87-95 5.0 for ~3k.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (3).jpg (92.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 10 Jan 2014, 01:22 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm not sure that I would call those tires "Cheap".
rob342 likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 01:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
First pull the airbox, etc. and check your bushings. Worn bushings may not be pushing the shift rod quite far enough going into 2nd. Lube the h8ll out of the arms etc. while you've got everything exposed.

Second when was the last time you drained and replaced your tranny fluid? You've got A LOT of miles on your PT and it may be beyond time to do that, especially in this frigid weather. Old worn out fluid and cold temps don't play together well on ANY car.

Jerry
i changed the tranny fluid this summer when i did the clutch, differential tabs, and input bearing.

bushings look good. there is no airbox or filter in it right now. when I picked my car up they asked about it. i said i was going to stick a cheap cone on there since my airbox plastic was brittle and breaking, launching plastic into the motor. he said he might have one and handed me this K&N. any ideas? 3-3/4" ID hole, taken off a corvette Z06. real carbon fiber, very light. might be overkill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (95.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by rob342; 10 Jan 2014 at 01:37 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 02:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Trans will shift pretty good even with extremely worn synchros.

Are you sure clutch isn't dragging?

Other than that, plastic pads on shift forks will wear off
Old 10 Jan 2014, 02:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Are you sure clutch isn't dragging?
it only affects second gear, so i'm 99% sure it's not clutch related. i've beat plenty of transmissions to death, and this feels like the synchros to me. after the snow melts i'll jack it up and see if the wheels spin revving it up in gear with the clutch pedal down.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 10:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

One - three shift it is 'til then?