Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any Help is Appreciated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2014, 10:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Any Help is Appreciated.

so today while i was driving my temperature guage kept fluctuating between under the half mark and just above the 3/4....however whenever i would stop it would raise and when driving would lower. While parked the temperature eventually shot up and the light came on and then my car started making a bubbling sound and eventually started smoking. I naturally cut off the power and pushed teh car to a parking lot.

Now this morning i added some oil because it was a little low, but put it so it was in the norm, however i didnt check the coolant, and after i let the car cool down i looked at the coolant reservoir it was nearly to the top but after more time of cooling down it ended up lowering and lowering in the reservoir, so im assuming it was just a basic overheat and i was low on coolant and need to fill it up once it cools down. i had the basic symptoms of a overheat, the temperature rise, some smoke from the engine area (not out the exhaust so i dont think its the head gasket), and the bubbling sound. any info if you guys think im correct and just probably need some coolant, all other levels seemed fine.

any help is appreciated
Old 10 Jan 2014, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Any Help is Appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Either low on coolant and not properly bled of excess air or your radiator fan needs replacing.

Please give us more information about your car. Is it a PT Cruiser, what year, what mileage? What work has been done to it, and previous maintenance by you or a mechanic? If it's running properly you should never have to add oil or coolant.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

its a 2002 pt cruiser almost 110k miles, i think all thats been changed on it is a alternator. it normally runs fine, its mainly just started doing the temperature thing the last 2 days or so, which is why i assume it may be the coolant being low, since i have to drive almost 50 miles a day
Old 10 Jan 2014, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you haven't had the water pump changed, that could be your problem. At 100,000 miles, timing belt and water pump should have been changed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2014, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

when i got the car i got it used, it was around 60k thousand miles i believe and we had that all taken care of, i just forgot about that since before it was mine it was my moms car and didnt think of it. so im pretty sure the water pump and belt were done, because the owner before basically had the car sit in her driveway for a year and never drove it
Old 10 Jan 2014, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBetsOnJames View Post
when i got the car i got it used, it was around 60k thousand miles i believe and we had that all taken care of, i just forgot about that since before it was mine it was my moms car and didnt think of it. so im pretty sure the water pump and belt were done, because the owner before basically had the car sit in her driveway for a year and never drove it
You got the car at 60K and the timing belt and water pump wouldn't have been changed before that because it's way too soon so if you had it since then and it wasn't changed, it does need it now as QSD pointed out, but don't think tat's your problem because if either of them would go bad, you wouldn't go anywhere.

Again, it sounds like the fan isn't working on both speeds (you have 2 speeds) or the air wasn't bled correctly out of the system. Basic symptom of the fan not working correctly is that it will overheat at idle and very low speeds and once the car is moving, the air rushing through the radiator will cool it off.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

that may possibly be it then, the fan, because i only really noticed the temperature going up when i was idled or driving slower
Old 10 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

like "THE MAN" said its 99% chance its your fan
but the timing belt and water pump are not far behind
its a big ticket item so dont be shocked at the price
Old 12 Jan 2014, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok so after some testing and letting it cool, when i went to pick it up i found that as i drove it home it started smoking. however it would only do this while the ac was on, and when idled and the ac on it would shake the motor. and cause the temperature to rise, however when i had it without the ac it would stay somewhat at a constant temperature while driving but at idle would raise a bit, so i believe it may be the radiator fan is correct im bringing it into a mechanic on monday so hopefully its the fan and not a crank shaft.