Advertisements
hole in coolant reserve tank.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snapper388

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2014, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default hole in coolant reserve tank.

Help! I have a 2004 pt cruiser w/turbo. Had a little heat before replacing radiator and thrmst. After had zero heat. Being that I am a mechanical midget, yes Ibelieve air could be a problem, and flushing the system. But my real question is... ya ready? I never replaced the coolant researve with the huge hole in it. Could this alone stop me from getting heat? Ps. I had radiator replaced cuz it was cracked.

Last edited by chriskoch; 10 Jan 2014 at 11:25 am.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: hole in coolant reserve tank.

your cooling system is under pressure when hot causing coolant to be pushed into overflow tank. when coolant cools it is pulled back into radiator. if overflow tank has a hole and don't hold coolant air will be pulled in and you will have to add coolant on a regular basis. my guess on the heater not getting warm would be either you have air in the system or a bad thermostat. I only use stant thermostats. I do not use the fail safe thermostats.
pluminator likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 07:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper388 View Post
your cooling system is under pressure when hot causing coolant to be pushed into overflow tank. when coolant cools it is pulled back into radiator. if overflow tank has a hole and don't hold coolant air will be pulled in and you will have to add coolant on a regular basis. my guess on the heater not getting warm would be either you have air in the system or a bad thermostat. I only use stant thermostats. I do not use the fail safe thermostats.
Same here, I hate failsafe.

I actually buy the stant thermos rated for a few degrees C higher than standard, that way I get good heat on the interior, but still free flowing :-) the 2.4 has a tendency to run a tad cold with standard thermo's
Old 10 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Same here, I hate failsafe.

I actually buy the stant thermos rated for a few degrees C higher than standard, that way I get good heat on the interior, but still free flowing :-) the 2.4 has a tendency to run a tad cold with standard thermo's
The 03 I'm driving has all the heat you want. 175 K Regular T stat. But as stated above, you have to have a working overflow. Or you will still have issues.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I am told my heater core is blocking circulation
I am layed off and broke. Thinking I could cut lines and by pass. I am desperate, I need my car!