PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help...please...WHERE is the PCM on a 2005?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By sanatanadharma
  • 1 Post By pt06
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2014, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: formerlyFL panhandle, now :-( West Michigan (again)
Default Help...please...WHERE is the PCM on a 2005?

My very southern, not happy with being in a Michigan winter 2005 Limited just had a battery change. When I picked the car up (I had other minor things done, too), I noticed that my Odometer and Speedometer was dead. Yet, the other gauges in the left and right clusters were working fine.

I took it back to the repair shop the next morning and they told me the PCM is shot.

Where in the car is the PCM located? I haven't found any reference material on the web telling/showing me where it is. I'm not mechanically inclined, but my brother says he can install it easily if I get a refurbished one, but I don't have the foggiest idea where it is located or what you have to take apart to change it.

One estimate I received is over $800 on a refurb and another from the dealer travels well north of $1400 for a new one.

My brother found refurbs for less then 200 from a couple sources, so unless it takes a body shop to disassemble the car to get to it, I will let him change it.

So I would greatly appreciate it if someone can please help this inept, mechanically challenged goof ball save some money on this very unexpected and poorly timed (unemployed) repair need.

Thank you in advance.

Tac.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 04:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Help...please...WHERE is the PCM on a 2005?

Here are a couple of things that will help:
Great Folks at Auto Computer Exchange A+++
| Repair Guides | Electronic Engine & Emission Controls | Powertrain Control Module (pcm) | AutoZone.com
Old 10 Jan 2014, 04:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Help...please...WHERE is the PCM on a 2005?

The PCM is mounted to the firewall on driver's side.
When removed and replaced, the PCM connectors and battery need to be connected in a specific order, says the shop manual.

Busted_PT and pluminator like this.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 12:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a similar question about my 2007 PT. Dealer tells me I need to replace both PCM and TIPM Module for $2100. After I stopped hyperventilating, I decided to join this forum and ask for help. I am not mechanically inclined.

My original problem was for two months the car was skipping when automatic transmission was shifting. I took car to 4 repair shops, including Chrysler dealer and a transmission shop. No one could find anything. Finally, check engine light came on, and car went into limp mode. A mechanic had it for 3 weeks, and said it was my TCM, but said he tried to fix it, but didn't have equipment to program it. Towed it to dealer. Now they tell me PCM and TIPM both bad.

Any help would be appreciated. - Jane in Atlanta
Old 18 Jan 2014, 03:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Jane; 'Skipping when transmission was shifting' is not enough info to help out. Does the engine skip? Does the transmission chatter? Do any codes show up by doing the key dance?

Both the TIPM and the computer going bad at the same time is possible, but unlikely. It could be as simple as a poor wiring connection. Good luck.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Jane; 'Skipping when transmission was shifting' is not enough info to help out. Does the engine skip? Does the transmission chatter? Do any codes show up by doing the key dance?

Both the TIPM and the computer going bad at the same time is possible, but unlikely. It could be as simple as a poor wiring connection. Good luck.
They are probably doing a shotgun repair. Yes a better discription and the codes that should be there, should help. At any rate we can steer you to cheaper pcm and maybe cheaper tipm to. Were're talking a few hundred, not thousands.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jan 2014, 03:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Chrysler Dealer told me the only code is P0883. I did not know about the key dance. As far as the "skipping" issue, all I know is sometimes when I was driving and automatic transmission should have been shifting, it would catch a little, and shifting was not smoothe, but jerky. Intermittent. A few times every few days. at the time, no check engine light. Also at that time, once, driving on the interstate, the car suddenly lurched forward, like a sudden power surge. I really appreciate your input!
Old 20 Jan 2014, 06:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Jane; With your symptoms it could be a whole lot of things. P0883 = TCM power input high. My first guess is that you have a wiring/corrosion issue. Any poor connection in the system could cause this. Including; main feed wire to TIPM, battery terminals, body ground wires, corroded fuses or fuse terminals, scraped wire, connectors to TIPM - computer - solenoid pack - ignition switch - etc.

Note: the TCM is built into PCM [computer]. Good luck
Old 20 Jan 2014, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help. Do you think I should take it to someone who specializes in electrical issues, rather than the dealer? - Jane
Old 21 Jan 2014, 04:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Jane; I'm sorry, but I cannot answer that question. A dealer has special electronic equipment to test your vehicle. But, it also requires a sharp technician to use it. However, a good electronics type garage might also have similar [artermarket] equipment. Simply plugging in the tool only gives limited info. More info is obtained by disconnecting wiring harness connectors and adding other special gizmos to test components and wiring. Sometimes when the car is on a car lift and running. This is not your $85.00 test.

SRT knows more about this stuff on the 2006 and later PT's.