Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pwr Steering Fluid Foaming Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2014, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pwr Steering Fluid Foaming Question

I have re-installed my re-built engine. Of course I had all the belts and accessories off to do that.

I switched to the use ATF+4 fluid as authorized by Chrysler service bulletin.

My PS is making noises and not working well and when I checked the fluid reservoir the fluid is all foamy and pink.

What is the issue? Any ideas?

Do I need to bleed that system somehow? If so, can someone point me to a documented procedure?

THANKS
Old 12 Jan 2014, 03:53 pm
Banned

Default Re: Pwr Steering Fluid Foaming Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf View Post
I have re-installed my re-built engine. Of course I had all the belts and accessories off to do that.

I switched to the use ATF+4 fluid as authorized by Chrysler service bulletin.

My PS is making noises and not working well and when I checked the fluid reservoir the fluid is all foamy and pink.

What is the issue? Any ideas?

Do I need to bleed that system somehow? If so, can someone point me to a documented procedure?

THANKS
If I read your previous posts correctly, you have just rebuilt a 2001 engine that uses Chrysler power steering fluid (2001's only) and then topped it off with atf+4 (2002 and up requirement) before starting it up. The two should not be mixed. You will now have to drain/flush the entire system and fill with the oem required power steering fluid. I personally would not refill with the newer atf+4 because your existing seals have over time absorbed various amounts of the original power steering fluid and they may not play well with the atf+4. That's up to you after drain/flushing.

If it was just a matter of air in the system, you simply start with a full system (check your level with engine off) and then start engine. Slowly turn your wheels from side to side several times WITHOUT hitting the stops. Stop just short of the stops. This will slowly work the air out of the system. With the engine still running, turn the wheels to the straight ahead position and let the engine run for several more minutes before shutting it off.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 12 Jan 2014 at 07:10 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 06:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Pwr Steering Fluid Foaming Question

Thanks Jerry!

Guess I didn't expect the incompatibility issue, so I will drain the system and go back to the old spec as you suggest. A flush sounds like a procedural deal.

How do you flush out the steering rack and pump?

Should I just take it to a shop for the flush?

In general, I do all my own work, when I can. Kinda hate going to the shop ($$$). I did not do so for the engine rebuild, but I'm familiar with that drill.