PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission stuck in 1st gear 2007 PT Cruiser Touring (Automatic transmission)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2014, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission stuck in 1st gear 2007 PT Cruiser Touring (Automatic transmission)

Here's the issue.
I live in Minnesota and recently it was pretty damn cold (-40 F). So my wife's 2007 PT Cruiser stayed overnight outside in that cold. It had factory battery which she was about to change (Ooops! Too late, fella). So the car didn't start. Then it stayed in cold for another day. We changed the battery for a brand new one. Engine cranks but doesn't start. Cranked it till the new battery died. It was kinda hard to shift the stick to Neutral position. But after pushing and wiggling it I got it in Neutral. Then towed the car to the nearest shop. They say spark plugs have very worn gaps and fuel fouled. Also there is a fuel in oil. So they recommended to replace spark plugs and ignition wires and change oil. I did that and finally started the engine. On the dash it was showing "3" no matter what position I shift on the stick (I tried Park, Rear, Drive). I drove the car a little and stopped it using the manual brake, turned the engine off and... it doesn't start again! Now on the dash it shows "1" (1st gear, I suppose) and shift stick moves but it doesn't do anything, its always "1". When you turn the key into accessories position accessories work (like radio, beeping, air flow) and there is "check engine" light flashing. Turn it to start the engine - everything stops working. Scanner tool doesn't show any error codes. Remote keys doesn't work for some reason too.
So here's the question:
What the hell happened to this car and how to fix it???
Thanks in advance!
Old 13 Jan 2014, 12:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Transmission stuck in 1st gear 2007 PT Cruiser Touring (Automatic transmission)

So your CEL is on,have you checked for any codes via the OBD system?(not with a scantool)....Offhand it sounds like you may have a problem with the TIPM.....
Old 13 Jan 2014, 03:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission stuck in 1st gear 2007 PT Cruiser Touring (Automatic transmission)

I have MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBDII scan tool (costs around 20 bucks). Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive. Plug it into port, turned the ignition into accessories position and then its reading the computer, but returns no error codes. And I remember I was using same tool on the same car and it was working about a year ago, it was giving error codes about emission system. But now it doesn't show any errors
Old 13 Jan 2014, 03:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission stuck in 1st gear 2007 PT Cruiser Touring (Automatic transmission)

How do you check for codes via the OBD system?
Old 13 Jan 2014, 01:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Transmission stuck in 1st gear 2007 PT Cruiser Touring (Automatic transmission)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyMan View Post
How do you check for codes via the OBD system?
You need to turn the key from off to run 3x, like on-off-on-off-on.
if you do it right,it'll either tell you codes in the odometer area,or it'll simply say "done".
Old 14 Jan 2014, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

That trick doesn't work because every time I turn the key into the Run position everything stops working (radio, air conditioner, instrumental panel)
Old 19 Jan 2014, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, that was a quick fix. Just needed to check and reconnect transmission cable (rope or whatever). The tow truck driver was pushing too hard on the shift knob trying to get it into N position, also he broke the ignition, so the key stucks there sometimes. What a dumbass!
Old 19 Jan 2014, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyMan View Post
OK, that was a quick fix. Just needed to check and reconnect transmission cable (rope or whatever). The tow truck driver was pushing too hard on the shift knob trying to get it into N position, also he broke the ignition, so the key stucks there sometimes. What a dumbass!
Some times the help is the problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com