PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmisson or clutch problems

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2014, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmisson or clutch problems

I have a 2002 pt cruiser it is a base model 4 door 5 speed 2.4l i was driving a few weeks ago and it didn't want to go in gear so i made it to work turned it off and went in for a few hours came out and it was working fine but was making a scrubbing or scratching sound when the clutch was to the floor but if you let off a little bit it would quit but other wise seemed fine so i continued to drive it for a few more weeks and then it all of a sudden got to where when i shifted it felt like i was left of the clutch really fast and it was catching or something so i keep on going really easy and then it wouldn't go in to gear again i cut the car off put it in 1st went to start it and it was tiring to pull forward so i drove it home and as i am tiring to get home it got to where when i left of the clutch it would feel like it was catching and letting go and then catch again well i made it to the bottom of my drive way and stopped put it in first and started up the drive when it started to make a noise is not like a grinding but a scraping noise it will not make this noise if i am in neutral doesn't make a difference if i am pushing the clutch or not as soon as i move the stick to put it towards any gear it starts maken this noise so i got into 3rd left off the clutch noise never changed and car never moved.

Also was curious of if there was a way to tell weather it a modular clutch or not with out taken it a part i did change the external slave and bleed it and made no difference going to start tearing into it in the next day or so.

please any help would be greatly apracated
Old 13 Jan 2014, 04:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Transmisson or clutch problems

So the clutch isn't disengaging and there's noise?

I doubt this is it, but flexplate to flywheel bolts will back out.

It's a modular clutch.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 04:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Last edited by rob342; 13 Jan 2014 at 04:48 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 08:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

thinks for that I belive thats whats happening but I just wanted to run this by someone else before i went any further. so you are thinking that the bolts may have back out of the flex plate?
Old 14 Jan 2014, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

To me this sounds as if your troubles started with your clutch release bearing getting dry. First you heard the release bearing when you pressed down the pedal. As the bearing got worse it stopped spinning as it is supposed to do and then you started having problems getting the gears in position. When the bearing gave up totally the clutch was severly damaged and now you need a new clutch kit. I haven't had this problem with a PT but have seen and heard exactly this happening to other car brands. If I am right about this - replacing the complete clutch kit instead of only the release bearing won't take more than a few extra minutes since you need to remove the gearbox in both cases.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 11:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

^^^ That makes total sense.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yea i planned to put a complete clutch kit in there since i am already going to have it apart no seance in tearing it apart twice.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had the EXACT same issue with my PT. It ended up being my transmission. If you take it to to transmission shop they have a device to hook up to your car and will be able to tell exactly whats wrong with it.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

^^^ He has a manual transmission. I don't know of anyway to hook diagnostic equipment to a manual.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea i am pulling it apart saterday have all the stuff off and out of the way last night just don't have the time to get it all done but i did notice alot of play in the clutch fork when i pulled the slave cylinder off so kinda thinking maybe the throw out went bad and messed up something but cant tell yet when i pulled the axels out the fluid that came out was clean didnt look or smell funny so i am hoping the transmission is ok.