PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trouble Codes Help

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2014, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trouble Codes Help

My check engine light came on yesterday and I took my PT to my local Nappa Auto to ready what trouble codes it was throwing up. When he hooked it up he said that it was putting out 2 codes. One was for the sensor for the heater-said the heater was over heating, he said since the heater was blowing out hot air that the sensor might just be broken. The second code was for my car battery. He said that he would hook up his battery tester to it to see what was going on with it. When he opened my hood he had no clue as to where my battery was, so I have to point it out to him, and I had to show him where my negative and positive ports where so he could hook it up to them. When he hooked it up he said that my battery was only at 13% and I would need to get it replaced. I was a little alarmed due to I just replaced my battery last January but he since my PT recently had to sit, unused for 3 weeks during our below 20 degree temps here in PA, maybe that ruined my battery. When I asked the guy if I could just buy it there and have them replace it, he said he wouldn't because it was too hard. I'm just going to have my mechanic look at it next week. Has anyone ever had these problems with their car before and do you think my battery might be really dead? (I've attached the print out for my battery that Nappa game me) I'm grateful for any advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nappa Auto.jpg (89.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble Codes Help

If I'm reading that printout correctly, it looks like your battery is very weak under load. But the alternator seems okay. There is a good chance you battery is bad. And batteries do have tendency to fail when there is a change in the weather. However, for a definitive battery test, the battery would first need to be removed from the car and charged overnight.

I would not be too concerned with those codes until you have replaced the battery if it is truly bad. Low voltage can sometimes cause the ECM to do strange things. Also, assure the coolant level in the radiator is not low. That may produce the heater code. Once these things are taken care of, have the codes erased and see if they come back and assure that the entire car is not overheating.

If this is your '02 Touring Ed. PT, the battery is not that difficult to get to. Just removed the air filter and air filter housing. All you need is a flat head screw driver. Here's a video that shows you how:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Jan 2014 at 10:33 am.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! I love this forum!
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:26 am
Senior Cruiser

I suggest you return to the place you bought the battery from last year. It probably has a warranty and if it's not replaced for free, it should at least be prorated to give you a hefty savings on a new one. Plus, it never hurts to see what it tests out at from a different place..... because I suspect that Napa dude might not be the sharpest tack in the box.
rcktpwrd and txh976 like this.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I suggest you return to the place you bought the battery from last year. It probably has a warranty and if it's not replaced for free, it should at least be prorated to give you a hefty savings on a new one. Plus, it never hurts to see what it tests out at from a different place..... because I suspect that Napa dude might not be the sharpest tack in the box.
I thought the same thing
Old 15 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I called Troy Allen Chevy, to see if they would ready my trouble codes for me, just to get a second opinion. They want to charge me 1 hours worth of labor, $80, to check it. HAHAHA
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Look up an AdvanceAuto - they read codes, too.
As far as I know, there is no heater trouble code - but there is an oxygen sensor heater code...
try and get the codes yourself and post the numbers here:
How to retrieve fault codes.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jan 2014, 06:35 pm
Banned

First, never check the condition of a battery useing the the two remote jump start positions. There can very easily be loose connections and/or broken down wiring between the remote spots and the actual battery terminals that will skew the readings.

Second, There is no heater-air output sensor on our PTs. The first two 'heater' related codes that would present on our PTs would be the 02 heaters and the second would be the temp sensor in the battery tray that lets the PCM know if the battery is overheating because of internal shorts, etc. The second is the most likely in this case, if indeed you have a failing battery.

Moving on now.

Jerry
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 15 Jan 2014 at 07:34 pm.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 12:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Trouble Codes Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh976 View Post
When he hooked it up he said that it was putting out 2 codes. One was for the sensor for the heater-said the heater was over heating, he said since the heater was blowing out hot air that the sensor might just be broken.
Sensor for the heater?......Either he doesn't know what he's talking about,or you have mis-stated 'his' information........I think the code you MAY be thinking of is for the O2 sensor;There are several codes that mention 'heater',and all of them have to do with the O2 sensors:

P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0031 HO2S Heater Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0032 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0036 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0037 HO2S Heater Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0038 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0050 HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0051 HO2S Heater Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0052 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0056 HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0057 HO2S Heater Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0058 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

And yeah,your battery is only putting out 10.28v under load....That's TOO low!......Check the date on your battery,it's probably time to replace it.
txh976 likes this.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Sensor for the heater?......Either he doesn't know what he's talking about,or you have mis-stated 'his' information........I think the code you MAY be thinking of is for the O2 sensor;There are several codes that mention 'heater',and all of them have to do with the O2 sensors:

P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0031 HO2S Heater Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0032 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0036 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0037 HO2S Heater Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0038 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0050 HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0051 HO2S Heater Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0052 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0056 HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0057 HO2S Heater Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0058 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

And yeah,your battery is only putting out 10.28v under load....That's TOO low!......Check the date on your battery,it's probably time to replace it.
Yea I think so too. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

Tags
battery, thermostats