PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dead PT Cruiser

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2014, 03:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dead PT Cruiser

I was driving my PT and all of a sudden it just died and would not start. Came back the next day with a trailer and just before I was going to put it on the trailer I tried to start it and it fired up. I drove it for about 20 min. and it died again. All fluids were up and it was not running hot. I put it on the trailer and took it home. I tried to start it the next day and the dash lights, headlights, and all accessoris worked. I checked the batteries cables and they were good. Had battery checked and it was good. Changed out the ignition switch and still nothing. Used a remote starter on it and the engine will turn over so the starter should be good. I do not hear the fuel pump coming on either. I swapped the relays around and still nothing. Any ideas on what is wrong?
Old 15 Jan 2014, 03:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Dead PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollie1018 View Post
Any ideas on what is wrong?
Yeah,It's not starting!....How about telling us what year,model,and maybe even the mileage.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 03:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dead PT Cruiser

First, welcome to the forum. You should introduce yourself and tell us about your PT in the new members section.

Next, when you say "won't start" do you mean the engine will crank but not start? Or do you mean that you turn the key and nothing happens? Also, is your check engine light on? If so, have you got the trouble code?

If the engine cranks without starting and there is no check engine light, then this sounds like a classic failing fuel pump. The fuel pump heats up and quits. But then works again periodically when cool. If you have an early model PT, there a Schrader valve on the fuel rail where you can check yourself to see if you have fuel pressure.

You will need to let us know what year model and edition of the PT you have to be more helpful. And please let us know the mileage too.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Jan 2014 at 03:18 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My Pt Cruiser is a 2002 automatic with about 125,000 miles on it. When you turn the key to and try to start the car nothing happens. Could it be the computer. I did plug a scanner into the car and there were no codes. I did not try the key method. however the code reader should have picked up a code.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 04:24 pm
Banned

I am going to assume since you didn't mention that you have an exported 03 pt cruiser with the diesel motor with an aftermarket CD player and stains on the seat.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It could b a fuel pump however when you turn the key to start it the motor does not turn over and you can not hear the fuel pump pressure coming up. Its like the whole engine compartment is completely dead.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

if you turn the key and nothing happens the first thing I would check is battery cable connections. both cables, both ends.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a pressure valve on the fuel rail - if you don't have fuel pressure as it cranks, the fuel pump is dead.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jan 2014, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if its a desiel i think i read the battery is under the rear seat?????

battery starter a lot of things come to mind before the computor
do you have interor lights???? a horn headlights???
Old 15 Jan 2014, 07:05 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollie1018 View Post
I was driving my PT and all of a sudden it just died and would not start. Came back the next day with a trailer and just before I was going to put it on the trailer I tried to start it and it fired up. I drove it for about 20 min. and it died again. All fluids were up and it was not running hot. I put it on the trailer and took it home. I tried to start it the next day and the dash lights, headlights, and all accessoris worked. I checked the batteries cables and they were good. Had battery checked and it was good. Changed out the ignition switch and still nothing. Used a remote starter on it and the engine will turn over so the starter should be good. I do not hear the fuel pump coming on either. I swapped the relays around and still nothing. Any ideas on what is wrong?

If you had the PDC cover off to see what relays to swap then what I'm going to say next makes your whole thread seem a little iffy.

First, Go out and buy two 30 amp pink, two 40 amp green and three 20 amp yellow fuses. You may need a spare of each during the trial & error part of your next few steps. Also pick up a fuse puller, very inexpensive.

Next remove the PDC cover and read the same info that's on the underside of it that is the same info you previously used to locate which relays to swap.

1. You will find a fuse that is labeled as IGN. START --- 30 amp pink ---replace it

2. You will find a fuse labeled as IGN. RUN --- 40 amp green---replace it.

3. You will find a fuse labeled as FUEL PUMP / ASD --- 20 amp yellow--- replace it.

4. You will find a fuse labeled as IOD --- 20 amp yellow---replace it.

If any of these new fuses blow, then you will know the area that is suspect and where to concentrate your further diagnosis.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 15 Jan 2014 at 07:21 pm.