Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dead Battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2014, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Dead Battery

Hi I have a 2008 pt limited with 63k miles. I have owned it for 3 years now and have put two batteries in it. I live in Utah and every time it gets below 32 degrees and I let it sit overnight it has to be jumped. I am hoping somebody else has been able to solve this problem because the local auto parts store says the battery is fine but the dealer says I just need a new one. I have kept jumping it this winter because according to my charger the battery is at 12.6 volts when it won't start. Everything in my car is completely stock except for the K&N air filter and obviously the battery. Also I just learned I have a massive power steering leak which I will probably fix tomorrow when I get under it but thought I would see if that's a common problem also. Thank you to anyone offering advice.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dead Battery

Does the car get driven much? Winter is bad for batteries - chemical action slows down in low temperatures, oil is thicker at startup in low temperature, you need lights more because daylight is shorter, you use defrost & heat more....
Depending on electrical load, it can take 20 miles of driving before you have even replaced what you took out of a battery to start the car!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jan 2014, 05:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Buy a battery jacket :-) Its like a heating pad that connects to the battery and wraps around it. Keeps the battery warm in temps down to -10 :-D

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/battery-warmer
Old 17 Jan 2014, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it is my daily driver. Today was warmer and it started multiple times fine. I didn't even let it idle long as I was just fixing my power steering problem I mentioned last night.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 03:42 am
Senior Cruiser

GMS; because of the small size of the PT batteries, a quality replacement battery is required, with at least 500 CCA. Also, the positive cable is not a single piece, so all connection points must be checked. Including the large post on the starter. Wire brush all surfaces and coat with grease. Disconnect the negative battery post FIRST!
Old 19 Jan 2014, 01:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Dead Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
GMS; because of the small size of the PT batteries, a quality replacement battery is required, with at least 500 CCA. Also, the positive cable is not a single piece, so all connection points must be checked. Including the large post on the starter. Wire brush all surfaces and coat with grease. Disconnect the negative battery post FIRST!
Good info thank you very much for the info. I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out on my own, but this has me flustered. This is the first car I've had a vehicle that I couldn't go buy a Optima Red TopŠ for. Which has never failed me in the past. I actually keep a red top in the back of the car for when I do need a jump lol.