Engine rebuild

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 2 Post By chromer don

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2014, 11:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Thumbs up Engine rebuild

I see there are MANY PTS with GOBS of mileage on them still running; I have EVERY INTENTION of doing a motor rebuild when mine tanks...hopefully NOT for years; I have 113,000 now. Does anyone have a ballpark figure on what it costs NOW to replace the usual suspects? (NOT INCLUDING LABOR)

Do most put in NEW pistons or oversize rings or what? I have NO IDEA how much meat a 2.4 l block has as far as boring it out and using larger pistons. I would be looking for STOCK and longevity; NOT RACING...

I would also be looking at the same as far as the transmission is concerned.

ALL opinions welcome...

kctobyjoe[/I]
Old 17 Jan 2014, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine rebuild

How does one answer this?

Every engine rebuild has it own conditions?
You would at least first disassemble the block and transmission to see what is worn and in need of replacing.
Then you would need to call the machine shops in your area to get the cost to do the basic block prepping.

Also the head should be done at the time of the rebuilt engine. You can opt to have yours done, buy a rebuilt one or do it yourself?

The parts acquisition is what ever means you have to get them and resource them...ebay,amazon,local parts houses, on line parts suppliers, etc.

Reading posted information from those that have done this task the costs are all over the with little constancy.

Even with the transmission the examples I gave are the same.

There really is no average price cost unless you are buying assembled units like a long block and even that will vary slightly with regions.

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Jan 2014 at 11:48 am.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 12:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if you take care of your engine and it is in good condition, it will likely outlast the rest of the car. even though i have over twice the mileage of you, mine does not smoke, rattle, or burn oil, and will still chirp third gear upon request. I am confident that when my car goes to the junkyard, the motor will still run perfectly. I highly doubt that you will EVER need to rebuild it, provided that you take care of it properly.

at some point, waaay down the road, closer to where I'm at, there will be so many other non-engine related problems with your car that you will know it's time has come. But like i said, the engine won't likely be one of those problems.
UptownSport likes this.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 01:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

I am rather happy with how this unit performs and all I did so far was put I a lifetime K&N filter but will probably opt for the open filter mandrel bent cleaner assembly

I have YET to replace the wires; plugs and coil.

Suspension parts as required. Since this unit is >100k I am investing in a fan replacement; it APPEARS what is in the car is stock.
Based on how TIGHT the front end is I will assume previous owners already replaced the tie rod ends; a part I understand is prone to failure.

I have YET to look at the undercarriage; its TOO COLD here now.

The water pump fan belts are purchased ready to be replaced; as is the cam sensor. EASY to get at in a non-turbo car ! I will let the timing belt/water pump to a shop; I don't think I want to tackle that.

02 sensors I will attempt and then decide what to do

looking at a SS exhaust system; would replace the Converter at that time too; all new from front to rear

Shocks...looking at the MONROE gas; will replace stock rubber bushings with polyurethane; never rots! Same goes fro spring 'rubbers'

Maybe I TOO will have a sig of 200,000 miles plus!!!

kctobyjoe
Old 17 Jan 2014, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It may sound contradictory to my first post but I am currently working on a Nitro NS engine..sshhhhh!!

Old 17 Jan 2014, 03:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Engine rebuild

My 03 GT with ATX has 191,000 on it. Had to replace valve cover gasket because the seals around the spark plugs were leaking. Also purchased a set of plugs and wires and did a compression check. 1-165, 2-165, 3-175, 4-175 and checked all hoses and belts. Now all I need is a timing belt change, should be good for another 190,000
VNT and Busted_PT like this.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 09:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

my 1996 2.0 has 282,000 when speedo stopped a couple years ago.
About 100 runs at full quarter mile dragstrip, on a good day you'd shift 7800 RPM out of 1st.
Pistons are loose, make noise when they're cold until it warms up, but it doesn't hurt anything.

I see lots and lots of 2.0 and 2.4s, these guys are right- Just no reason to look at that particular part to rebuild, over lets say, transmission or rusting body.