PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 PT Cruiser won't start after warmed up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2014, 06:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 PT Cruiser won't start after warmed up

Hi all,

My wife has a 2005 PT Cruiser that started to have problems starting. The car won't start after it has been driven for a while and is warmed up to normal operating temperature. However, it will start when it cools down or is cold.

For example, today i took my daughters to school in the morning and went back home. No problems with the car starting or when driving. I was at home for about 10 mins and then went to turn on the car, but the car wouldn't start. I turn the key and the engine cranks but won't start. I hooked up an error code reader, but there were no error codes retrieved.

I waited for about 30-40 mins and tried to turn on the car, and this time the engine started right away with no problems at all! I've read a number of posts here that say the ignition coil could be a possible issue. However, those posts indicated that they got an error code, but I'm not getting any error codes. Other posts say it might be the fuel pump, but my car turns on after a while, so its safe to say my fuel pump works, or else my car wouldn't start. I'm really at a loss here and not sure what else it could be, especially since I'm not getting any error codes. When the car does turn on, there are no issues when driving at all.

I took it to a shop and they hooked up a machine that measured the current and/or voltage through the wires and said that the battery is properly charging, the proper amount of current is going through the cables to the spark plugs, and that the starter was properly working. I left the car there for him to try to duplicate the problem, and to my surprise he was not able to reproduce the problem.

Any ideas? (other than waiting for it to turn on and then driving it into a ditch...)

Not sure if this helps, but the timing belt and spark plugs were changed out last year, have around 188k miles.

If more info is needed, let me know.

thanks.

Last edited by seas98; 17 Jan 2014 at 06:31 pm. Reason: updated info
Old 21 Jan 2014, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Cruiser won't start after warmed up

I decided to take the car to the dealer to check it out. They were able to duplicate the problem I had and found that there was no cam or crank signals at the PCM. Dealer said that both the cam and crank sensors were faulty and had to be replaced.

Hopefully this can be helpful to someone in the future.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Cruiser won't start after warmed up

Hopefully so BUT we've never heard of both sensors going bad at the same time. The dealer was just too darn lazy to track down which sensor it was and replaced both.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.