Advertisements
Which muffler

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2014, 11:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Which muffler

hey guys gotta question. ok so i'm debating whether i should get a magnaflow muffler or a flowmaster hushpower muffler. i already installed a downpipe so now the only restriction i have is with the stock muffler. i'm a loyal flowmaster guy but now that i have a pt with a turbo i'm starting to look else where. i don't want Alexa to be loud like Eve was. i don't want Alexa to sound like a crappy tuner with a buzz can either. what do you guys think?

hushpower has a perforated tapered tube that may cause back pressure but they claim that this muffler is proven to be better then a muffler delete

Magnaflow has a straight through perforated tube that shouldn't cause any back pressure

PLEASE HELP ME
Old 19 Jan 2014, 11:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Which muffler

Why??.....What's so LOUD about a Cherry Bomb!!!
WolfmanG likes this.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 11:26 pm
Banned

Default Re: Which muffler

Remove the muffler and listen how it sounds just running off the cat.

It's not loud, it's a turbo, it won't be louder than your previous pt due to the turbo.

Get some straight pipes and put dual tips on it and be done with it.

Don't waste your money on a muffler, not necessary
needmoretoys likes this.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 12:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just put on a 2.5" Magnaflow catback single exit. Great tone....nice rumble. Not too loud or overbearing....definitely no buzz can here.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 12:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantecaPT View Post
Just put on a 2.5" Magnaflow catback single exit. Great tone....nice rumble. Not too loud or overbearing....definitely no buzz can here.
yeah i'm not looking to drop over 600 bones on that. the stock cat back is perfectly fine. like i said, the only thing that's causing restriction is the muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Remove the muffler and listen how it sounds just running off the cat.
It's not loud, it's a turbo, it won't be louder than your previous pt due to the turbo.
Get some straight pipes and put dual tips on it and be done with it.
Don't waste your money on a muffler, not necessary
i want to do that but i'm not sure if i'll be able to pass inspection when it's due.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 12:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Every vehicle is slightly different. I would recommend to talk to your performance muffler shop that will be doing the work for you. They will give you a better idea then forum based information what your end sound result will be with your exhaust system. Also if they are good they may soft mount a couple of different muffler to try out.

Flowmaster generally on a large displacement 4 cyld flow less then required for the engine. They flow less then these other mentioned mufflers.

A better choice for flow capacity in line with the 2.4 is a (1st choice) Dyno max, magna flow, Cheri Bomb 36 inch long 2.50 core or Porter muffler.

A side note...every bend that is not a mandrel bent pipe lowers your CFM rating of your exhaust system. There is a magic CFM number that needs to be met for best overall engine output with a 2.4 Chrysler engine.

The number one mistake most enthusiasts make is the choice of an aftermarket performance muffler.
mityqwik and randyincctx like this.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 12:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I forgot to mention you left out one big restriction and that is your cast iron exhaust manifold. You may consider the ported version with the pipe mod from MOLE or SDK? Other wise all your money on your new exhaust is not totally utilized.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 12:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Every vehicle is slightly different. I would recommend to talk to your performance muffler shop that will be doing the work for you. They will give you a better idea then forum based information what your end sound result will be with your exhaust system. Also if they are good they may soft mount a couple of different muffler to try out.

Flowmaster generally on a large displacement 4 cyld flow less then required for the engine. They flow less then these other mentioned mufflers.

A better choice for flow capacity in line with the 2.4 is a (1st choice) Dyno max, magna flow, Cheri Bomb 36 inch long 2.50 core or Porter muffler.

A side note...every bend that is not a mandrel bent pipe lowers your CFM rating of your exhaust system. There is a magic CFM number that needs to be met for best overall engine output with a 2.4 Chrysler engine.

The number one mistake most enthusiasts make is the choice of an aftermarket performance muffler.
i don't want a glass pack but i'll check into dyno max and a porter muffler.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 01:05 am
Cool Cruiser

I have a magnaflow muffler (MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles) and it sounds pretty good.

I tried the magnaflow glass pack and it was alright but got annoying after about 2 weeks. I then cut my cat off and added the o2 sensor bungs to fool the computer. Straightpiped from the turbo back into the one muffler out the back.
If you wanna hear it, pm me your number and i will call you and you can hear it.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 01:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasmurf View Post
I have a magnaflow muffler (MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles) and it sounds pretty good.

I tried the magnaflow glass pack and it was alright but got annoying after about 2 weeks. I then cut my cat off and added the o2 sensor bungs to fool the computer. Straightpiped from the turbo back into the one muffler out the back.
If you wanna hear it, pm me your number and i will call you and you can hear it.
that's cool thanx for the offer. i'll keep that in mind