Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Strut bar

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2014, 05:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Strut bar

If anyone has an extra strut bar, id sure like to get one. Maybe we could trade for some of that fancy fancy led work stuff. Lol
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 11:48 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I have learned that if I ask a question often enough, sooner or later, I'll get an answer that I like.

I'll check out that thread on PTCrew and see what it says. I haven't been over there for quite a while. this forum much less cliquish.

I'm ordering some interior bling from Maggie, so I'll talk to her about the strut bar she has. I was wondering if it is a solid bar or a pipe. Just idle curiosity, I guess.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Strut bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
I'll check out that thread on PTCrew and see what it says. I haven't been over there for quite a while. this forum much less cliquish.
I can tell you now,since I'm also on PTCrew.....There's alot of those memebers have spent BIG $$$ on their strut bars,and they're pretty dead set on the "I believe my car handles better with it!" syndrome......Yet,none of them have done any 'real world' testing(skid-pad/slalom/lateral-G);All their testing has been 'Butt-Dyno',or psychosomatic in nature.....As long as you take 99% of the posts with a grain of salt,you'll be OK.
I know personally;If I paid upwards of $500-$600 for a strut-bar,I'd tell everyone it improved handling too!
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm sure if they are still open, that the finish will be of good quality from what I've heard of that company.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Jan 2014, 04:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The strongest and easily strong enough to make a differance, strut bar made for our PTs is the WILDFIRE, round, 1" solid bar design. It's not a pipe, it's a solid 1" bar. You could turn it on end, sit on the end of this bar and instead of it bending, you would just end up with a hernia. They made two differant end (connecting) configurations. WILDFIRE also made at least one completely differant bar that was more for bling and not nearly as strong as the 1" solid bar type.

-----CREWZIN has one of the end styles on his Wildfire.
[IMG][/IMG]

-----CREWZIN
[IMG][/IMG]

-----CREWZIN
[IMG][/IMG]

-----CDD over at the CREW has the same WILDFIRE end configuration that I have.
[IMG][/IMG]

I bought one many years ago and had it on for awhile, but then decided to repaint and strengthen the end connector plate while I had it off. The bar itself is so strong that it will eventually start to warp the end connector plate. You really have to drive hard to get "THE BENDS" and I did.
I took it off a couple years ago, to strengthen the end plates and promptly moved on to more interesting mods. I'll get back to it in another month or so and post pics. Here are a couple pics of it when I first received it. It was obviously a used bar, but in good shape.

-----Mine with the second end configuration
[IMG][/IMG]

-----Mine
[IMG][/IMG]

-----Mine
[IMG][/IMG]

Below is a pic of the BTG polished strut bar with a nice polished intake. The BTG is a nice bling bar, but not nearly as strong as the WILDFIRE.

-----BTG bar and polished intake
[IMG][/IMG]

Again the WILDFIRE is the real deal and strong enough to make a noticable differance in you handling. I had thought back then and am still thinking today about fabricating a third attachment point onto the firewall, but its all just thinking for right now.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 31 Jan 2014 at 04:24 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 04:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

How much were those wildfire's when they were first sold?
Old 31 Jan 2014, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I saw this one on the crew a few days ago and mentioned it looked good. I also talked to Crewzin and he did say if it made a difference because he does not drive his PT hard. He did mention that it weighed about 7-10 lbs.

This is a good SB simple and strong. They did not do as well on the mounting flange but hey...for a retail bar its pretty good.
To bad they do not offer it anymore.

That's the trouble with some of us coming onto the PT Cruiser so late in the game, many of the aftermarket parts and companies have either discontinued parts or gone out of business.

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
MODS http://ptcruisernetwork.com/forum/in...opic,16.0.html
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other SO the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.

Last edited by NitroPT; 31 Jan 2014 at 04:41 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 04:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I saw this one on the crew and mentioned it looked good. I also talked to Crewzin and he did say if it made a difference because he does not drive his PT hard. He did mention that it weighed about 7-10 lbs.

This is a good SB simple and strong. They did not do as well on the mounting flange but hey...for a retail bar its pretty.
To bad thy do not offer it anymore.

That's the trouble with some of us coming onto the PT Cruiser so late in the game, many of the aftermarket parts and companies have either discontinued parts or gone out of business.
Yep,

Only the twin strut bars really do the job. And of course, those are now all gone too.
garkeller likes this.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 05:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
How much were those wildfire's when they were first sold?
------If I remember correctly they were around $100.00 when new. I bought mine used for $40.00.------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I saw this one on the crew a few days ago and mentioned it looked good. I also talked to Crewzin and he did say if it made a difference because he does not drive his PT hard. He did mention that it weighed about 7-10 lbs.

This is a good SB simple and strong. They did not do as well on the mounting flange but hey...for a retail bar its pretty good.
To bad they do not offer it anymore.

-----Yep, these haven't been made for a LONG,LONG time.
Is someone going to tool up and market some real bars?

Anybody---Bueller?

Jerry
Old 31 Jan 2014, 05:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep,

Only the twin strut bars really do the job. And of course, those are now all gone too.
your going to make me post more aren't you??

Ok so here is another thing to think about....the SB pictured that I said was good we know to be a solid bar. Well that was one way to make a SB for less money then using a hollow tube of quality material like 4130CM. Had they used a tube made from of 4130 chrome moly it would have been lighter and stronger then the very heavy solid bar. Most of the strength of a tube comes from the outer portions. I think the contribution goes like the cube of the radial position. So, if you took a solid rod and drilled out half the volume from the center, you do not lose half the strength. Strength to weight ratio is better for a hollow pipe than a solid rod.
About the only thing the solid bar is better then a tube is the fact that it will act like a spring when forces are presented against it as in the design of the Wildfire bar. This means a solid bar is easier to deform than the hollow tube (of the same mass), but a tube will tend to break or deform easier to break then a solid bar. But that is not condition that happens with structural re-reinforcing on cars or roll bars,cages and frames would be constructed of solid material instead of tubing.

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
MODS http://ptcruisernetwork.com/forum/in...opic,16.0.html
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other SO the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.

Last edited by NitroPT; 31 Jan 2014 at 05:19 pm. Reason: 4130 not 50