PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
changing thermostat now engine reving on it own

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2014, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default changing thermostat now engine reving on it own

i'm probably going to not try to do anything myself on my car from now on. here's what happened.

my car was not heating up properly so i flushed out the anti freeze and put in new antifreeze because i did mix anitfreeze brands. didnt fix the problem. i use 50/50 prestone, the yellow bottle.

i changed out the thermostat today. i ended up loosing one of the bolts for the thermostat housing and had to buy another one which was a bit short but fit the whole(needed 30, got 25). i put it in without a washer.

it was pretty difficult moving that housing around to put the the thermostat in. i took of the grill and unscrewed the thing circled in the attached image file and propped it up to give me more room to move the thermostat housing.

after i was able to get the thermostat in, bolt down the housing, plug all the hoses back in, and top off the radiator with coolant, i started the engine and it revved up to 5000rpm and then just kept on revving itself without me touching the gas.

there was a bit of a grinding noise as if something was stuck in something and there was the smell of burning gasoline.

so, what did i do wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo-engine.jpg (49.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 20 Jan 2014, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: changing thermostat now engine reving on it own

It really ok abut your work we have all had a bad "work on the car" day!

The engine speed is because your throttle cable is being violated. If it were a little less engine speed I would say you knocked off a hose around the intake manifold drawing in air. But check both idea's anyway.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

there's a hose that goes right around the thermostat housing. it got caught under the thermostat when i was bolting it back down. i pulled it out but maybe thats damaged.

what hose is that?
Old 20 Jan 2014, 07:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: changing thermostat now engine reving on it own

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeLincolns View Post
there was a bit of a grinding noise as if something was stuck in something and there was the smell of burning gasoline.
Do you have any idea where the missing bolt 'may' have gone?......Inside the intake,while the manifold was off,maybe??
Old 20 Jan 2014, 10:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:14 am
Regular Cruiser

Same thing happened to me after I did the timing belt/water pump/seals and also t-stat. Would start and rev HIGH, try to come down but wouldn't.

Then I realized I forgot to put the PCV hose back onto the intake manifold nipple when I reinstalled the intake.

Check that this isn't your problem.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 21 Jan 2014, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
there's a hose that goes right around the thermostat housing. it got caught under the thermostat when i was bolting it back down. i pulled it out but maybe thats damaged.

what hose is that?
That would be the fuel line that feeds the fuel rail. I don't think that would be your problem. Check the throttle cables and vac lines like Nitro and the rest, suggested.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jan 2014, 08:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Do you have any idea where the missing bolt 'may' have gone?......Inside the intake,while the manifold was off,maybe??
i was actually able to recover the bolt but it was after everything was put back together. i went under the car and it was hanging off something at the bottom. nothing fell into the intake though. just the bottom of the car.

probedude, i dont think i did anything with PCV valve(had to google what this was) but i'll check it anyway.

i am a TOTAL n00b in doing anything with my car. i've never even changed my oil before. i was just trying to save some money as most of these auto repair shops are predatorial and charge you an arm and a leg for something simple.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

took it to a shop. $138 to fix everything.

apparently the autozone i went to gave me the wrong thermostat. the shop i went to charged me to get the right one but didnt charge labor to install it.

apparently when i unscrewed the intake manifold the rubber seal part came off and that was the problem. was glad to get back on the road. didnt want to miss another day of work.

still dont think the heat works so the next thing is to have the heater core flushed and examine the heater doors.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 07:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: changing thermostat now engine reving on it own

Quote:
still dont think the heat works so the next thing is to have the heater core flushed and examine the heater doors.
Behind the control panel there are cables & a vacuum line,the 'blend air' is operated by a vacuum actuator....Pull the panel,check the cables to make sure they are not binding,and check the vacuum line to make sure it hasn't come off,or cracked,then check the actuator (may need to be replaced?) to make sure it's moving the 'blend door' properly......More info on that in this thread: Heater/AC blows through defrost
Glad you got the rest taken care of;Lesson learned: "Don't trust Autozone monkeys!".....Know what you need,and even if they say 'My computer says that won't work!',tell them to sell it to you anyway.

Last edited by randyincctx; 21 Jan 2014 at 08:09 pm. Reason: Added Link