PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Dead.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy PT Dead - Seeking help!

Hello,

I joined this forum because it seems like every time I google something PT Cruiser related, this is one of the first links... So I'm hoping that means you guys have good insight I really love my PT and I'm hoping she's not dead for good...

My 2007 PT has had several on-going issues that I was slowly fixing (whenever I had money to fix them), some of those issues being with the motor mounts, radiator leak, AC completely stopped working last summer, and several other small things.

Well, I'm not sure if any of those are related (and I was told they weren't) but a couple weeks ago I was on the highway and I was driving up the off ramp and my car just completely shut off. No warning (except the check engine light coming on a few days prior). It wasn't the battery (I just got it replaced and my radio still was on) and it didn't overheat or anything. I got it towed to the shop and they've had it ever since (yes, two weeks now, luckily they are going to cut me a deal because I have a connection there). They say it's the entire computer that's been fried but I just have a hard time believing that. They say something short circuited but they're still trying to figure out what that was.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can give me some advice? I've heard computers can be quite pricey... And frankly, I miss having my car!

Thank you!

Last edited by MissJ; 21 Jan 2014 at 02:07 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:16 pm
Banned

Default Re: PT Dead - Seeking help!

If you have a connection there why are you disputing the diagnosis?

Unless you have a bad connection??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
Hello,

I joined this forum because it seems like every time I google something PT Cruiser related, this is one of the first links... So I'm hoping that means you guys have good insight I really love my PT and I'm hoping she's not dead for good...

My 2007 PT has had several on-going issues that I was slowly fixing (whenever I had money to fix them), some of those issues being with the motor mounts, radiator leak, AC completely stopped working last summer, and several other small things.

Well, I'm not sure if any of those are related (and I was told they weren't) but a couple weeks ago I was on the highway and I was driving up the off ramp and my car just completely shut off. No warning (except the check engine light coming on a few days prior). It wasn't the battery (I just got it replaced and my radio still was on) and it didn't overheat or anything. I got it towed to the shop and they've had it ever since (yes, two weeks now, luckily they are going to cut me a deal because I have a connection there). They say it's the entire computer that's been fried but I just have a hard time believing that. They say something short circuited but they're still trying to figure out what that was.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can give me some advice? I've heard computers can be quite pricey... And frankly, I miss having my car!

Thank you!
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PT Dead.

Because I'd rather it not be the computer that's broken and also, it's always good to do some research yourself and see what else might be wrong... I don't personally know the person working on my car...
Old 21 Jan 2014, 03:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: PT Dead - Seeking help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
I was driving up the off ramp and my car just completely shut off. No warning (except the check engine light coming on a few days prior).
Have they checked the timing belt?......Depending on the mileage,it could be the timing belt,based on the statement I quoted you on,and if it wasn't changed around 100,000 miles (sometimes less,or more) according to MFG recommendations,it could have broken.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PT Dead.

Hi,
Yes they checked the belt and it was fine :/