Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about air intake for non-turbo cruiser

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX
Default Question about air intake for non-turbo cruiser

Hey everyone,

Have a couple of questions. I am looking into replacing the stock air intake with an after market one. I am doing it for a couple of reasons.

1. I want Bruiser to sound better and a little bit louder.

2. I want easier access to the battery.

So after some searching, I found two that I am interested in. One is THIS and the other one is THIS. What I am wondering is is there a big different between these two?

Also is there anything else I can do to make my cruiser sound like a turbo? I am not really looking for anything to increase performance cause I know that if I want to make a PT fast, its cheaper to just buy a turbo cruiser.

Last edited by TheDarkAvengerX; 21 Jan 2014 at 02:35 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question about air intake for non-turbo cruiser

I bought one of the eBay intakes. But I only used the tube. You can read about that here:

The "Handy" Air Intake Mod

The other one from Airaid is the real deal. From the research I've done the Airaid Intake is likely the best for the NA PT. It has a well engineered design, quality filter and has a shield to keep engine heat away. And if you look back through this forum, you will see that many of the more "serious" PT owners use them.

For me, the Airaid was just too expensive for just an air filter. Plus I had good luck with the one I modded for my last car. And mine sounds great. There's no sucking noise, but a nice moderate engine rumble when I take off. And I like that.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 03:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Question about air intake for non-turbo cruiser

Ideally you want a setup that has a box to isolate the filter from the engine compartment heat like the factory setup. So the Airaid is a good choice or the one from Volant. Chrysler PT Cruiser Volant PT Cruiser High Performance Cool Air Intake Box there are probably a few others out there as well.

I have had the Volant one on my car for 12+ years now. It gives a nice intake rumble when you get on the gas. The filter is like a K&N so it can be cleaned and oiled.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 21 Jan 2014, 03:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

just get the cheap one. it'll be louder without the shield and you won't notice a performance difference between the two anyways.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have the Airaid setup. I have been very happy with it and it looks really cool.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 06:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm going to get the cheap one and see how it goes.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 06:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
just get the cheap one. it'll be louder without the shield and you won't notice a performance difference between the two anyways.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 08:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

damn bro i wish i would've pulled the air intake from Eve, i would've totally sold it to you. we all know that the short rams till give you a better throttle response but it's not give you that much of a power boost. i do admit that it sounds pretty badass. Don't go for the cheap one, you get what you pay for. metal tube is gonna heat up under the hood and produce hot air that'll go into your TB. the volant set up would be the best one to go for. Afe Magnum Force Cold Air Intake Filter Kit 03 04 05 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5110642 | eBay this is the one i bought for eve
i later modified it cuz of the TB spacer i put in.
for better air flow it's better to get a straight pipe instead of using the stock flex pipes. the air will bounce around to much in the flex pipe.
the guy who sells the the afe units was really cool when i called him out on the description of the air intake. i got him to lower the price.
honestly i would go with the volent unit but if you're strapped for cash i'd buy the afe unit in a heart beat. i hope this helps.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 08:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

dang, after reading my last post it kinda makes me feel like an idiot. the reason why i started talking about the flex pipe is cuz the airaid unit uses the stock pipes.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 01:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Question about air intake for non-turbo cruiser

Just thinking outside the box(no pun intended!),but I wonder if mounting a heatsink type CPU fan over the fender fresh/cooler air intake hole would be a good,or bad idea?...Or is this gonna be one of those ideas that someone (Nitro?) has already considered,or done?
Just in case,some are wondering,this is what I'm talking about(simple 2-wire hook-up,keyed to run w/engine 'ON'):
A S0 12V 2 Pin 40mm Computer Cooler Cooling Fan PC Black F | eBay