PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Water Pump - O-Ring Won't Seal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2014, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Water Pump - O-Ring Won't Seal

What is the secret Guys?

Big O-Ring where the coolant inlet tube slides into the water pump. I've installed an after market O-Ring that came with my engine gasket set and I had a very slow leak at that spot. Pulled the radiator out and went to the dealership and purchased a Chrysler OEM O-Ring and that one leaks as soon as the coolant is poured into the engine at that same junction.

I give up! Are you suppose to use sealant of some vatiety in addition to the O-Ring?

Help please? Suggestions?
Old 21 Jan 2014, 03:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Water Pump - O-Ring Won't Seal

since my car has so many miles on it, i never trust those o-rings alone anymore. i figure it isn't worth the headache to find out after buttoning stuff up that the metal is slightly larger than it used to be from corrosion or overly aggressive cleaning. for that reason i always add a small amount of insurance. i used it on my water pump o-ring seal and also on my thermostat housing.

if the o-ring won't seal, do you really have a choice?

i used to use the ugly orange or sensor safe blue, but after noticing all the(non PT) performance parts i'd buy called for permatex ultra black, i prefer permatex ultra black now. it's durable, it's hard to notice it's there, and it has never let me down.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What the surface of the grove the o ring seats in condition and the surface of the tube that inserts in the ring look like.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jan 2014, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I pull it apart I will be looking more carefully at the metal surfaces. The hole in the water pump housing felt pretty smooth. The pipe itself where the O-ring mates may be corroded some as I recall. I will take some tool or emery cloth and clean the pipe grove up some, but I'm going with the RTV as well. I had thought about sealant the 2nd time I installed, but I told myself it shouldnot be necessary. SO WRONG!

It's a pain to even get to this area of the engine after the radiator and fan are installed. A real pain! Impossible maybe. I will yank the radiator for the 3rd time.

Grrrrr
Old 22 Jan 2014, 12:44 am
Regular Cruiser

If the sealing surfaces look good, are you lubricating the o-ring? If not, give that a try. Just a slight wisp of vaseline will do. They need to move a bit to their 'natural' position and if installed dry they can't.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family